Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  16:25:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
quote:
Dr. Mabuse:
quote:
Storm:
but a word of warning...if you ever experience it ..do not eat...the food... if some is available...
Why not?
Because then, like Persephone, you may be stuck there. Sadly, if you eat all of your meal, you may not return.

Edited to add quotes
Edited by - Boron10 on 06/26/2005 17:50:58
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  05:14:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
quote:
When I had my experiences I did not have any feeling.. of floating, did not see my self from above... but I did see myself...laying on the couch...on the bed... i used to know when one was going to happen..for I would feel very very heavy...like I could not move...yet my mind was very aware...I stopped having them because I do not like the way they make me feel...so stopped myself from doing it... but a word of warning...if you ever experience it ..do not eat...the food... if some is available...

Storm, this is a mild form of narcolepsy called hypnogoggic hallucination. It usually happens upon awaking but can happen as you dose off or at any time in REM. The body only partially wakes up and remains in REM with sleep paralysis. You can look around your room and seemingly see and hear images, these can be quite confusing and intense experiences and are the likely source for most alien abduction stories.

I used to experience this when I was younger, for me it would only happen if I fell asleep in a certain position, which I no longer do. I did try to get the lotto numbers out of my conscious dreaming, to no avail.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:19:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Storm
but a word of warning...if you ever experience it ..do not eat...the food... if some is available...

Why not?

One pill makes you bigger, and another makes you small,
but the ones that Mother gives you, don't do anything at all.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Storm
SFN Regular

USA
708 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  09:30:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Storm's Homepage Send Storm a Private Message
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Why not?

That is the ole legend...Do not eat in other realms...for then you shall not return ..

Originally posted by Tim

Because then, like Persephone, you may be stuck there. Sadly, if you eat all of your meal, you may not return.

Exactly!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  05:46:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

quote:
When I had my experiences I did not have any feeling.. of floating, did not see my self from above... but I did see myself...laying on the couch...on the bed... i used to know when one was going to happen..for I would feel very very heavy...like I could not move...yet my mind was very aware...I stopped having them because I do not like the way they make me feel...so stopped myself from doing it... but a word of warning...if you ever experience it ..do not eat...the food... if some is available...

Storm, this is a mild form of narcolepsy called hypnogoggic hallucination. It usually happens upon awaking but can happen as you dose off or at any time in REM. The body only partially wakes up and remains in REM with sleep paralysis. You can look around your room and seemingly see and hear images, these can be quite confusing and intense experiences and are the likely source for most alien abduction stories.

I used to experience this when I was younger, for me it would only happen if I fell asleep in a certain position, which I no longer do. I did try to get the lotto numbers out of my conscious dreaming, to no avail.

Yes, that happened to me twice in my late teens/early 20's. Funny, I didn't immediately jump to any type of OBE explanation....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Giltwist
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  16:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Giltwist's Homepage  Send Giltwist an AOL message  Send Giltwist an ICQ Message  Send Giltwist a Yahoo! Message Send Giltwist a Private Message
Of course, the Irish legends suggest that you CAN eat the food if it's well salted.

I've yet to meet someone in person who claims to be able to astrally project. One of these days, I may be able to get my hands on Don Henrie (http://www.vampiredon.net) who claims to astrally project every night, but he doesn't seem to have the type of personality to subject himself to my testing on this matter or the matter of pranic vampirism. His claim to fame is having "drained" a reality show contestant on the SciFi channel reality series Mad Mad House. There are certainly lots of ways it could have been easily faked, but the jury's still out among the circles that have professional ties with him. Anyway, I digress.

I've done a lot of netsurfing on the matter. One common factor I've noticed is that many methods for AP requiring entrance into a particularly relaxed state. To describe this state from my personal attempts to verify/refute such methods is that it is like having your hold body be asleep (pins & needles) but as soon as you move, all feeling is restored in a way that is not symptomatic of a appendage "falling asleep." HOWEVER, I've also noticed that there is a EXTENSIVE lack of information how to perform the key step of "climbing," "swinging," or "rolling" out of your physical body. On the Giltwist scale of Bupkiss, this rates about a 9.5 - after frequent attempts at multiple methods, there was not even a hint of success, but I've only experimented on one subject, me.

Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  20:18:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
There is a good book on astral projection called :" Secrets of the Golden
Bough " The edition that I remember from the 1970's has an illustration
on the cover of a Chineese sage with 6 spirits comming out of the top of his head. You can conciously astrally project and there are books on technique. I have experienced this naturally about 8 times. Mostly it
happens in an extreeme state of tiredness and I believe with your limbs
asleep as when you have bad circulation.There are many reports of astral projection during surgery.People go under anesthesia and report hovering above their bodies. This is confirmed because they see stuff that happened while they were asleep on the operating table. Good luck with
your research.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  22:05:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hitchiker1

There are many reports of astral projection during surgery.People go under anesthesia and report hovering above their bodies. This is confirmed because they see stuff that happened while they were asleep on the operating table.
Everyone has seen "stuff" which goes on during surgery, just by watching TV shows like "The Operation" or "ER." With that in mind, how does one distinguish between a real "astral projection" during surgery, and a dream?

In other words, reports of "seeing" common OR procedures isn't by itself a confirmation of astral projection.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2005 :  22:14:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
You can conciously astrally project and there are books on technique.

I'll arrange for $500,000 US to be deposited directly into your hands if you can prove that claim in a controlled setting.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  22:55:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

I'll arrange for $500,000 US to be deposited directly into your hands if you can prove that claim in a controlled setting.
Hmmm, $1,000,000 - $500,000 = $500,000. Sweet! Who gets the other $500,000?
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  23:55:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Who gets the other $500,000?

Me, obviously.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Hitchiker1

11 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  20:11:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hitchiker1 a Private Message
Replies to DUDE : You might be interested in the TIME/LIFE publication
Mysteries of the unknown " Psychic voyages " of which 48 of 157 pages are devoted to astral projection.The book describes an experiment carried out
in 1978 by the American Society for Psychical Research in New York City
where the subject known as Tanos was tested to see if he could identify
objects and people in a closed room using astral projection.Quote p.41: "In 197 trials conducted during 20 sessions , Tanous correctly identified the target 114 times." Another test in the book describes a subject Harary : " Harary was again isolated in a closed booth in one building
and was asked to project himself to a room in another building , where
four staff members were gathered.Harary was to identify the people he saw there.He scored perfectly on the first attempt, not only identifying the
participants but accurately reporting where each of the four was seated."
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  20:25:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Hitchiker1, it has to be an ability which can be tested under controlled circumstances now. Old stories in a TIME/LIFE book won't win the money.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2005 :  22:20:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Having worked for Time Life Libraries, I'm not entirely certain I would trust the 'research' in many of their books, even the scientific ones. I seem to recall finding several errors in some of their books. But then again, could be bad memories of the place.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2005 :  06:11:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

quote:
Originally posted by Hitchiker1

There are many reports of astral projection during surgery.People go under anesthesia and report hovering above their bodies. This is confirmed because they see stuff that happened while they were asleep on the operating table.
Everyone has seen "stuff" which goes on during surgery, just by watching TV shows like "The Operation" or "ER." With that in mind, how does one distinguish between a real "astral projection" during surgery, and a dream?

In other words, reports of "seeing" common OR procedures isn't by itself a confirmation of astral projection.

During the last surgery I went through, I've thoroughly felt the last three vertebras from my spine being poked around. Of course, maybe it was because they were attempting to give me a peridural anesthesia that never hit the spot I also heard the nurse calling for a small chainsaw...

I don't remember dreams, though. Maybe because I was busy screaming of pain when I woke up. No lavish doses of painkillers here.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.