Creation/Evolution
 ICR criticizes "Darwin, the gun nut"!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2005 :  14:00:16  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Ok, now this is getting asinine! Isn't it the "conservatives" who are always complaining about the "liberal tree-huggers" and "animal-rights" people?

So now Ol' Jerry is trying to paint Darwin as a "sadist" because he apparently really like to hunt.

quote:
One side of Darwin rarely discussed in popular and scientific literature was his powerful sadistic bent. One of his passions that reflected this was his love for shooting, hunting, and guns. Darwin's interest in shooting and hunting was not unusual in nineteenth century England, but he carried it far beyond that of most of his contemporaries. Many people hunt for food and/or sport, then as well as now, but wanton killing for its own sake can hardly be justified. With Darwin it was an obsession which involved behavior that, at the least, bor-dered on sadism.

Ok, besides the point I brought up above:
--can anyone say "ad-hom" fallacy?
--does anyone remember reading about how Darwin hated stuff like slavery and how the slaves were treated?
--maybe Jerry is just bitter about the speculations about his own character?

God, just how desperate ARE these people?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2005 :  02:35:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
'Tis a sign of their having nothing of importance to go on about, so they go ad hom as well as non sequiture. It's rather like an angry child on the losing end of an argument shrieking, "Oh yeah?! Well your mama's a whore!"

Amusing, actually.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  16:28:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
I notice that Darwin was speaking of his love of hunting in the past tense.

Also, Princess Diana hunted in her teen years, and was blooded at around 15 or 16 for killing her first stag. I don't think there's anyone on earth who could say with a straight face that Princess Diana was a sadist.

trish
Go to Top of Page

latsot
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
70 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  07:25:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit latsot's Homepage  Send latsot a Yahoo! Message Send latsot a Private Message
Darwin, by all accounts, *did* love hunting. I mean, he *loved* it. You know what? He was also pretty racist. Not obviously more than the norm at that time, as far as I am aware, but he certainly seemed to feel that certain races were 'lower' in some senses than others. He was wrong in this.

He also deplored slavery. And was gentle and kind and thoughtful. He loved his wife. But he was also in favour of class distinction in the sense that he was of a privalaged class.

Newton was by all accounts a pretty unpleasant individual. Hawking divorced his first missus, didn't he (did he)? Winston has a woefully offensive moustache. Einstien supposedly had a fairly bizarre relationship with his wife. Goedel was just barking mad.

SO WHAT?

Ive seen criticisms of this kind gleefully applied by creationists etc. Darwin was racist therefore (the theory of, presumably) evolution is racist. Newton was a white western male, therefore....etc.

Dont these people have anything better to do?

r

Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  11:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Hmmmm, if opponents of evolution think that the theory's truth can be discredited by publicizing the personal foiables of the theory's proponents, then don't we get to hold all of christianity accountable for the Inquisition, the Crusades, sexual abuse of children [and claiming that "cannon law" created confusion about whether to call the cops on these preditors], and Jim and Tammy Faye's air conditioned dog house?

trish
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  12:01:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trishran

Hmmmm, if opponents of evolution think that the theory's truth can be discredited by publicizing the personal foiables of the theory's proponents, then don't we get to hold all of christianity accountable for the Inquisition, the Crusades, sexual abuse of children [and claiming that "cannon law" created confusion about whether to call the cops on these preditors], and Jim and Tammy Faye's air conditioned dog house?

I'd have to add Tammy Faye's abuse of cosmetics.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  12:51:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

I'd have to add Tammy Faye's abuse of cosmetics.

And Jimmy Swaggert's overuse of street hookers...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  14:19:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

No, cause those weren't "true" Christians.

Obviously, anyone who is bad isn't a Christian.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.