New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2005 :  21:12:08  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Here's something that has me totally baffled. The public discourse seems to be trending towards not only an unwillingness to help other people, on the excuse that help prevents people being self-sufficient, but actually being suspicious that even an instance of help is so corrosive to the person's initiative that they will not only stop having any sort of ambition, but could be thrust onto a course of degeneration that can descend endlessly.

In addition, there is such suspicion of pleasure for its own sake - not enjoying the outdoors or exercise or sports for the joy of it, but as part of a "healthy lifestyle". Even more suspect is catching someone who has been helped in any way having pleasure. [For example, a friend getting grief in the checkout line for buying ingredients for chocolate chip cookies, instead of "healthier choices" with her foodstamps.]

Oh, well, steaks are ready.....

trish

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  02:24:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
quote:
In addition, there is such suspicion of pleasure for its own sake

Well it goes both ways. Never trust someone who won't eat chocolate ship cookies :-) But I admit that I am guilty of exercising not because I enjoy it, but just to keep fit. Otherwise I'd feel guilty after eating all those cookies! :-D
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  02:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
My disability check comes in at the end of each month. I don't feel in the least guilty when I spend a bit of it on a little cheap whiskey. Nor do I worry about the morals of the recipient when I donate a little to one charity or another.

The public discourse is, as it often is, full of shit.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2005 :  06:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trishran

Here's something that has me totally baffled. The public discourse seems to be trending towards not only an unwillingness to help other people, on the excuse that help prevents people being self-sufficient, but actually being suspicious that even an instance of help is so corrosive to the person's initiative that they will not only stop having any sort of ambition, but could be thrust onto a course of degeneration that can descend endlessly.

In addition, there is such suspicion of pleasure for its own sake - not enjoying the outdoors or exercise or sports for the joy of it, but as part of a "healthy lifestyle". Even more suspect is catching someone who has been helped in any way having pleasure. [For example, a friend getting grief in the checkout line for buying ingredients for chocolate chip cookies, instead of "healthier choices" with her foodstamps.]

Oh, well, steaks are ready.....

Some people need to judge others to make themselves feel superior. And some others need to justify greed by claiming that helping others degrades the recipient.

While I refuse to give money to people begging for it on the street, I do donate to homeless shelters and food banks. It's an ethical balance I had to strike between the tenets of my religion and aiding the indigent.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2005 :  13:19:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Well it goes both ways. Never trust someone who won't eat chocolate ship cookies :-) But I admit that I am guilty of exercising not because I enjoy it, but just to keep fit. Otherwise I'd feel guilty after eating all those cookies! :-D

I don't think one should never exercize for one's health, just that it seems like our civilization has forgotten that one can be physically active for the sheer joy of it, as if the joy in insufficient and one must have a health motive as well.

trish
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.