Guns, Germs and Steel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  19:46:26  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
You guys in the States ae lucky, tune into PBS to watch this...

Guns, Germs and Steel

For those who have not read the book, I can't recommend it enough!!!!

Should be interesting though, hope it gets here in Oz soon

Sorry I have been away so long....a new baby and work has kept us busy.

Rafferty finally sleeps all night now, so I should have more time to join in conversations.

See you again soon..

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  20:19:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Congrats on the new one. PBS is also running a show in place of Scientific American on Thursdays with Bill Nye about Psuedoscience. Pretty decent, if a bit on the younger side.

Am officially a vampire, now if I can just get an externship.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2005 :  20:39:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Congrats, Gez, on the small one's sleeping!

Congrats, Trish, on becoming a phlebotamist!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  01:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hey Gez & Trish. Welcome back again!

Glad to hear that Raff is beginning to enter into the civilized stage in normal course, and Trish, keep them needles sharp and when someone goes pale and feels clammy, give him something soft to land on when he sags out of the chair.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2005 :  12:23:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Trish

Congrats on the new one. PBS is also running a show in place of Scientific American on Thursdays with Bill Nye about Psuedoscience. Pretty decent, if a bit on the younger side.

Am officially a vampire, now if I can just get an externship.

Congratulations. Both of you...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  07:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Glad to hear that Raff is beginning to enter into the civilized stage in normal course, and Trish, keep them needles sharp and when someone goes pale and feels clammy, give him something soft to land on when he sags out of the chair.

Here's the funny thing filthy, it's the guys that are more likely to hit the deck. Really, I have all I can do trying to get the needle out and capped without causing serious injury. Besides, it's not my fault that 1 inch of 21 guage surgical steel scares people.

Life kinda interefered, may miss a bit over the next few weeks, am moving and must get a phone hooked up before I can connect to the internet. Was kicked out of the partental unit's place (not that I much care - really) but am staying with friends in the meantime and won't have my place unitl next week.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  07:46:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Here's the funny thing filthy, it's the guys that are more likely to hit the deck. Really, I have all I can do trying to get the needle out and capped without causing serious injury. Besides, it's not my fault that 1 inch of 21 guage surgical steel scares people.

Life kinda interefered, may miss a bit over the next few weeks, am moving and must get a phone hooked up before I can connect to the internet. Was kicked out of the partental unit's place (not that I much care - really) but am staying with friends in the meantime and won't have my place unitl next week.

Entirely true, and I'll be the first to admit that I've come close to losing it a few times mydamnself.

I dated a Red Cross worker some years ago, and she told me that they almost hated to see those big, tough firemen and cops coming to give blood for that very reason. O'course, that needle & associated plumbing is a lot bigger and horribiler that the ones used to get a sample. :shudder:

Lookin' forward to havin' you back on a more regular basis....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  15:41:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Entirely true, and I'll be the first to admit that I've come close to losing it a few times mydamnself.

I dated a Red Cross worker some years ago, and she told me that they almost hated to see those big, tough firemen and cops coming to give blood for that very reason. O'course, that needle & associated plumbing is a lot bigger and horribiler that the ones used to get a sample. :shudder:

Lookin' forward to havin' you back on a more regular basis....

Having been used to blood tests and sharp needles since I was still too young to care (I had to do monthly, sometimes weekly blood tests when arthritis was kickin'), it always amuses me when someone that doesn't know me suggests, "You may want to look the other way... if you feel sick, just say." Also amuses me to see the tough, bad guys all afraid and stuff

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  07:07:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
Having been used to blood tests and sharp needles since I was still too young to care (I had to do monthly, sometimes weekly blood tests when arthritis was kickin'), it always amuses me when someone that doesn't know me suggests, "You may want to look the other way... if you feel sick, just say." Also amuses me to see the tough, bad guys all afraid and stuff

We kinda have to ask those questions and make those statements. We also need to know if the pt has passed out before while having blood drawn. Just in case, we will have them lay down to draw their blood. Yeah, understand about the frequency of having blood drawn, I did have to let my classmates practice on me and they are still trying to stabilize my TSH levels. Was kinda funny actually, only one person was able to get blood out of me.

FYI, if you have thyroid problems, try really hard never to have to go off your meds, lifes a pain until you can get back on a stable dosage.

Filthy, may have to work for Bonfils at some point, will be drawing blood for donation then.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  11:54:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

We kinda have to ask those questions and make those statements. We also need to know if the pt has passed out before while having blood drawn. Just in case, we will have them lay down to draw their blood. Yeah, understand about the frequency of having blood drawn, I did have to let my classmates practice on me and they are still trying to stabilize my TSH levels. Was kinda funny actually, only one person was able to get blood out of me.

FYI, if you have thyroid problems, try really hard never to have to go off your meds, lifes a pain until you can get back on a stable dosage.

Filthy, may have to work for Bonfils at some point, will be drawing blood for donation then.

Indeed, I do have a slight hypothyroidism or some such. However, my constant blood tests were done because or arthritis... had to control the rheumatoid factor in my bloodstream or some such (hey, I was 4 back then).

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  20:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
My hypothyroidism is out of control because everytime I loose my health insurance I can't afford the blood tests. And doctor's really tend not to prescribe the medication if you don't have your blood drawn every year once your dosage is stable. Guess they're just silly that way. The health care system here needs overhauled, especially if you can't get medicine that is necessary to living.

Go to Top of Page

demo

12 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  08:14:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit demo's Homepage Send demo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gezzam

You guys in the States ae lucky, tune into PBS to watch this...

Guns, Germs and Steel

For those who have not read the book, I can't recommend it enough!!!!

Should be interesting though, hope it gets here in Oz soon

Sorry I have been away so long....a new baby and work has kept us busy.

Rafferty finally sleeps all night now, so I should have more time to join in conversations.

See you again soon..

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.