Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2005 :  23:39:33  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45203

quote:

Al-Qaida nukes already in U.S.
Terrorists, bombs smuggled across Mexico border by MS-13 gangsters

quote:

Al-Qaida has obtained at least 40 nuclear weapons from the former Soviet Union – including suitcase nukes, nuclear mines, artillery shells and even some missile warheads.

Gee, you'd think other news outlets would have picked up on this too.
One wonder when WND will loose all credibily...

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  00:01:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
One thing nobody considers is how hard it is to eliminate all traces of an event. We can find fire pits that are half a million years old, and tell how often they were used, and what the people were eating. Think of murders that are solved with tiny bits of evidence found decades later.

The idea of "hidden" WMDs doesn't take into account that the manufacture of the WMDs, and not only that, but parts for weapons, parts for missles to launch the weapons, maintenance, the paper trail of paying for all this stuff, the memories and work histories of all the people involved in making, storing and maintaining weapons. Even the destruction of such weapons creates more problems and another evidence trail, including the pollution resulting. All of that could not be so perfectly hidden that the existance of the weapons could be doubted by reasonable people.

trish
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  12:35:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Make up something sensational and sell it. Doesn't have much credibility there.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  12:43:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Joseph Farah brings more than 25 years of newspaper experience, including stints as editor in chief of major market dailies, to WorldNetDaily.com. Elizabeth Farah brings years of marketing, strategic planning, design and technology experience to the project. Now, teamed with a lean but growing full-time staff of 25, WorldNetDaily.com is poised to spark a media revolution.

Each week he taps his vast network of international intelligence sources to bring you credible insights into geo-political and geo-strategic developments.

Major market dailies? I suggest perhaps the Little Nickel?
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  13:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
A friend called today to let me know this was a topic for discussion on last night's Art Bell Show(?), might be called Coast to Coast AM? I think this is a radio talk show on late late at night or very early morning. I don't listen to it, but occasionally hear my pal make reference to it. The website for the radio show looks like a UFO, Loch Ness Monster, Sasquatch information site with interesting sponsors, including one selling "'ESP' Pills, Research Based, Guaranteed Results".

To be fair, I don't listen to that particular radio show or frequent that web site. I didn't see a reference to the suitcase nukes story on the web site either, but I believe the radio show was the source cited by my friend.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  13:23:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

A friend called today to let me know this was a topic for discussion on last night's Art Bell Show(?), might be called Coast to Coast AM? I think this is a radio talk show on late late at night or very early morning. I don't listen to it, but occasionally hear my pal make reference to it. The website for the radio show looks like a UFO, Loch Ness Monster, Sasquatch information site with interesting sponsors, including one selling "'ESP' Pills, Research Based, Guaranteed Results".

To be fair, I don't listen to that particular radio show or frequent that web site. I didn't see a reference to the suitcase nukes story on the web site either, but I believe the radio show was the source cited by my friend.

I listened to part of that episode. Coast to Coast AM is a fantastic show. You have never heard a bigger collection of kooks, phoneys, crazies, and wackos all in one place. The premise of the show is literally that any claim can be made on air with little to no evidence, usually the more absurd and far out the better. Government conspiracy theorists often enjoy quite a bit of airtime. You can learn how the government is controlling the weather or how George Bush orchestrated 9-11.

However, to be fair, George Noory (the current host) does occasionally have on legitimate scientists. Phil Plait, "The Bad Astronomer," has been a guest more than once. It is refreshing to hear the caller's often ridiculous queries answered sensibly, a fairly rare event on that program.

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Does it mean that the claim of loose nukes inside the U.S. is necessarily false because it aired on Coast to Coast? Of course not. I've often wondered, like Mel Gibson in the movie, whether one day George would have a conspiracy theorist on air that actually hits upon a true cover-up. However, knowing the show's fact-checking process (there isn't one), I would take the views voiced by any participant with a boulder of salt.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/14/2005 13:31:31
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2005 :  14:02:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45203

quote:

Al-Qaida nukes already in U.S.
Terrorists, bombs smuggled across Mexico border by MS-13 gangsters

quote:

Al-Qaida has obtained at least 40 nuclear weapons from the former Soviet Union – including suitcase nukes, nuclear mines, artillery shells and even some missile warheads.

Gee, you'd think other news outlets would have picked up on this too.
One wonder when WND will loose all credibily...

Wing Nut Daily ever HAD credibility?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2005 :  14:47:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
There is already a Swedish movie (and TV-series) about it, based on two books by Jan Guillou.

Two Russian SS-20 (1,5 MegaTon) warheads are stolen from a dismantling station near Russian Naval Base in Musmansk. The Swedish military intelligence officer Hamilton (played by actor Peter Stormare) is sent to intercept smugglers on the Finnish-Russian border.
However, the intercepted smugglers are only decoys, planted by the entrepeneur/mastermind (actor Mark Hamill) who fed the CIA false information.
One nuclear warhead makes it as far as an Islamic Terrorist camp deep in the Libyan desert. Palestinian Intelligence realize that the threat of nuclear armed terrorists will be very detrimental to the Palestinian dream of a nation of their own, and sends agents to aid the Swedish officer in neutralizing the nuke.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/15/2005 14:48:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.