New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  15:50:16  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I'm sure that you are all as innundated with the second-by-second coverage of the Natalee Holloway disappearance in Aruba as I am.

Well, for the last 10 minutes (it is 642pm EST as I type this) MSNBC has been interviewing a medium, who is/was in Aruba with the girls family and the volunteer searchers looking for the girl.

10 minutes of primetime airtime on MSNBC's Ahbrams Report for a medium crackpot claiming to be "in contact" with Natalee Holloway.

I cannot help but think how much harm this asshole is causing to any real search for the girl. She claims that she has given the Aruban authorities, and Natalee's family, seven pages of detailed info.... yet they don't have the girl or her body or any new evidence in the case... go figure.

If they are even taking time to listen to this grifting bitch, they are diverting resources that could bring this case some closure by following through with the reliable and proven investigative techniques already in use.

Ordinarily I just scoff at this type of crap. Laugh at the morons who believe it. But this is going to far.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2005 :  17:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
We had a relatively famous "psychic" who lived in a nearby small town when I was growing up. Her name was Greta Alexander. Police departments in our area and from far corners of the country would occasionally consult with her when they had a missing person/body situation.

I remember a particular incident where a boy had been playing in a creek when heavy rains caused flash flooding and carried him away. After a few days of searching it was apparent that the boy had drowned, but his body had not yet been found. Greta was called in on the case, and successfully predicted that his body would be found in an area of tall grass and brush along a stream. Well suffice it to say that just about describes 98% of the land for several miles along the stream where he was washed away. I imagine it's easy to be psychic when the odds are so overwhelmingly on your side.

Lots of web pages mention this particular psychic. Google: "Greta Alexander" psychic. Part way down the list of search hits is a link to an article: How Psychic Sleuths Waste Police Resources. A few other links point to articles on the same subject.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! A three foot tall psychic escaped today from the local maximum security prison. All citizens should be on the lookout. Police have issued a warning that there is a small medium at large!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  07:32:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

I'm sure that you are all as innundated with the second-by-second coverage of the Natalee Holloway disappearance in Aruba as I am.

Well, for the last 10 minutes (it is 642pm EST as I type this) MSNBC has been interviewing a medium, who is/was in Aruba with the girls family and the volunteer searchers looking for the girl.

10 minutes of primetime airtime on MSNBC's Ahbrams Report for a medium crackpot claiming to be "in contact" with Natalee Holloway.

I cannot help but think how much harm this asshole is causing to any real search for the girl. She claims that she has given the Aruban authorities, and Natalee's family, seven pages of detailed info.... yet they don't have the girl or her body or any new evidence in the case... go figure.

If they are even taking time to listen to this grifting bitch, they are diverting resources that could bring this case some closure by following through with the reliable and proven investigative techniques already in use.

Ordinarily I just scoff at this type of crap. Laugh at the morons who believe it. But this is going to far.

Doesn't surprise me.

Holloway's mother is evidentially psychic because she intuitively knows the two men released in the case were involved. She intuitively knows that the dutch boy is involved. (In reality, all I have seen is evidence he had the poor luck to have seen her last) She also claimed some sort of psychic bond which told her her daughter was taken.

She's already interfered enough. Adding a psychic snooper is just par for the course.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  20:48:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Catherine Crier's show on Court TV was featuring a psychic who claimed to be in touch with Natalie. [of course, I watched a Night Rider rerun rather than pollute my mind]. The only good part is that, when the truth comes out, this woman will be on the record saying something that doesn't match.

I'm surprised, not only by Natalie's mom [who has grief as an excuse], but Nancy Grace and other American media personalities disparaging the Aruban justice system. It's not like the Aruban authorities are ignoring this case.

trish
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  05:21:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Nancy Grace is a lousy excuse for a tv personality and a lawyer, IMHO. (I can't stand her)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  00:12:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Pleco, you're right about Nancy Grace [her assistant Da work resulted in 3 censures], and yet, watching her shows is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. My hubby and I joke about telling her, "Scott Peterson couldn't have killed Laci, he's too cute" just to see her head explode.

trish
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  06:46:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I haven't followed the whole story much, but a friend of mine has been on Aruba a few weeks ago. He told me that among the people there, the accusation goes round that Holloway's mother might have been involved in the disappearance herself. The reasons given by the Arubans for this accusation are the quick reaction of the mother to the disappearance and that there would be a life insurance concerning a handsome amount of money. My initial reaction is not to take this too seriously. Anyone here no more about this and how the search is progressing currently?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  13:59:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
I doubt the mom is involved. She was in Alabama while Natalie was in Aruba. Since there are photos and witnesses of Natalie in Aruba, it can't be that she was killed and mom just pretended Natalie took the trip.

Also, as far as life insurance goes, many states do not allow minors to be insured for more than a few thousand dollars [enough to cover burial, but not enough to make murder of the child financially attractive, and this, sadly, because such cases had occurred] So I doubt life insurance money is an issue. Even if there is insurance on Natalie, wouldn't putting up family members in Aruba for weeks on end eat into that?

trish
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  16:46:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by trishran

I doubt the mom is involved. She was in Alabama while Natalie was in Aruba. Since there are photos and witnesses of Natalie in Aruba, it can't be that she was killed and mom just pretended Natalie took the trip.

Also, as far as life insurance goes, many states do not allow minors to be insured for more than a few thousand dollars [enough to cover burial, but not enough to make murder of the child financially attractive, and this, sadly, because such cases had occurred] So I doubt life insurance money is an issue. Even if there is insurance on Natalie, wouldn't putting up family members in Aruba for weeks on end eat into that?

Oh I definitely agree. I didn't take the accusations seriously. The Aruban community is a very close-nit community from what I understand, so the rumours are a predictable reaction to the arrests being made and the involvement of foreign people in the affairs.

I heard the Aruban police finally has been given orders to give full disclosure on the files to the FBI.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.