Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Canada has ticked off at least one american!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  01:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

quote:
Mab:
And the people who voted for Kerry (the only viable alternative) was way less than 49% of all citizens eligible to vote.

Election Results:
Your right! It was 51% to 48%. One percent voted for Nader… Yes yes, I know, eligible voters are what you said.

quote:

quote:
Mab:
So I consider at least two thirds of the country imbeciles.

So, if Ohio had gone to Kerry, giving him the victory, what then would have been percentage of imbeciles?

Of course, you're right.
I'm just acting out my frustration and fear over your failure to remove some seriously dangerous men from office.
I was thinking of the links to Blogs that Doomar posted after election about cheating.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  02:15:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by marfknox
Unfortunately, a friend of mine was ganged up on by a group of New Zealanders, Australians and Canadians who were enthusiastically saying that "The US got what it deserved with 9-11", but I only met one truly anti-American Canadian, and even he wasn't that bad.
You don't consider a group of people saying "The US got what it deserved with 9-11" to be truly anti-American? What else would you call it? Because I consider that statement to be pretty hateful and pretty damn inexcusable.

Deserved is perhaps a strong word, but obviously many thought so in the international scene, because they were so tired of USA meddling in business that wasn't theirs. It was unexpected, but in retrospect not surprising. I'm sorry for the loss of innocent civilians. (I also want to point out that each year many times more innocent civilians were killed by drunk-drivers, which is even more tragic, but I see no public outcry about that)
I hope you do understand that America's exploitation of the third world is pissing people off.
When terrorists for once take the fight to your own turf you cry foul...

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  20:42:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gezzam

The only American I ever met that I disliked was a marine on leave. I accidentally bumped his drink and I thought he was going to knock me into next week. "I am a US marine, don't ever fuck with me" or something along those lines was what he said as his 6 foot 6 bulk towered over me. I stammered an apology and sauntered back to the pool table nervously.

Gezz, I'll apologize for my fellow twit head Marine. Having been one myself. But he was probably young, just out of boot camp and thought he was bulletproof, or just a drunk ass. I've only ever used the Marine thing when someone questions my 'patriotism' because I'm an athiest.

As for the ticked off twit. He's a twit. If we'd pay more attention to our freedom of thought rather than speech we might not insert our feet into our mouths quite so often.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  21:40:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:
Originally posted by marfknox
Unfortunately, a friend of mine was ganged up on by a group of New Zealanders, Australians and Canadians who were enthusiastically saying that "The US got what it deserved with 9-11", but I only met one truly anti-American Canadian, and even he wasn't that bad.
You don't consider a group of people saying "The US got what it deserved with 9-11" to be truly anti-American? What else would you call it? Because I consider that statement to be pretty hateful and pretty damn inexcusable.
You got that right. Those guys are effing nuts. Even if one friggen' HATED the american gov'ts' policies, this is nuts!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 07/22/2005 21:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  06:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
How many of you think that we are acting kind of arrogant towards you americans?

Most of the rest of the world dislikes the US.

Which is funny, since the US gives away more to the rest of the world, than the rest of the world combined does. I find it rather comical. US sucks! But please give us debt relief. And so on. Everyone forgets the contibutions the US has made to the world and just focuses on the negative things happening now.

And Mab. Don't forget that about half of the US can't be bothered to get to the polls and vote. So really, when you see 51% voted for Bush what it means is that about 1/4 of the country went out and voted for him.

Also, alot of people vote against the party they don't like, regardless of who they are voting for.

I have never encountered anyone, personally, who says the US deserved 9/11. If I did, I'm not sure what my reaction would be.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  08:24:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:
How many of you think that we are acting kind of arrogant towards you americans?

Most of the rest of the world dislikes the US.

Which is funny, since the US gives away more to the rest of the world, than the rest of the world combined does. I find it rather comical. US sucks! But please give us debt relief. And so on. Everyone forgets the contibutions the US has made to the world and just focuses on the negative things happening now.

And Mab. Don't forget that about half of the US can't be bothered to get to the polls and vote. So really, when you see 51% voted for Bush what it means is that about 1/4 of the country went out and voted for him.

Also, alot of people vote against the party they don't like, regardless of who they are voting for.

I have never encountered anyone, personally, who says the US deserved 9/11. If I did, I'm not sure what my reaction would be.

Living in one of said countries, I have the feeling US takes far more than it gives back. FAR more. Especially since our debts weren't even done by ourselves, but by Portugal.

And when 911 happened - I didn't say "they deserved it". Obviously, no one deserves that, especially not the innocents killed. But I did say "not surprising, at all."

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  16:10:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Living in one of said countries, I have the feeling US takes far more than it gives back. FAR more. Especially since our debts weren't even done by ourselves, but by Portugal.

If the US were to cease all foreign aid, and call all debt due, what would happen to the rest of the world?

What would Europe and Japan look like at this moment if the US hadn't forgiven debts and helped reconstruction?

How many hundred thousand US men bled and died to prevent the 3rd Reich from owning Europe?

Everytime there is a disaster in some part of the world, the US responds with people and money and supplies.

Even W is promising to spend billions (not as many billions as he should, imo) in Africa to help alleviate the AIDS crisis.

The thing is, we are just people. Not all that different from people anywhere else. The constructive thing to do, instead of call us names and burn flags in protest (or commit violent acts against us), is to speak up. Engage us in a dialogue.

Every nasty hate-filled comment only serves as fuel for the ideologs we have here, who currently have more than their fair share of political power. Gives them a reason (not a good one mind you) and rationalization for their own actions and words, lets them say "See, they hate us anyway."

Don't feed them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  22:59:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I giess, what I'm trying to say, is that these "US haters" need to figure out what they are actually pissed off about. Because, honestly, most of us don't really know. The current US president and his administration excluded, anyway. We have a good idea why people are pissed at him.

But the 9/11 attack wasn't because of him, he was new to the office.

I can understand why fundie-islam hates us, we more or less are the incarnation of their version of evil (freedom, equality, and all that). I can sort of understand why most of the middle east hates us, along with the rest of the western world, because of the multiple times western nations have invaded and occupied them over the last 1500 years. Oddly, the US hasn't (until now) invaded any middle eastern country and taken it over. But we are hated the most, I guess because of our support of Isreal.

But seriously, why would anyone in fucking Canada hate the US? Or South America? What have we done to you all?

Just remember, the government of the US no more represents ALL of us, than any government represents all of the people it governs.

When people speak hatefull words in a blanket format (WE HATE THE USA), it makes most of us, even the ones who don't agree with the current government, take offense at the sentiment.

The next time you hear people bashing the US, ask them what (specifically) they are angry with us for. If they can't respond, just laugh and move on, but if they come up with something about Bush or the war in Iraq.... inform them that alot of people here in the US are against it as well, and they do themselves a disservice by ignoring that fact and lumping every one of us together.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  00:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
"You don't consider a group of people saying "The US got what it deserved with 9-11" to be truly anti-American? What else would you call it? Because I consider that statement to be pretty hateful and pretty damn inexcusable."

Read my post more carefully. I said a friend of mine encountered those people, *BUT I* only met one truly anti-American guy. I didn't personally meet the people who ganged up on my friend.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 07/24/2005 00:49:12
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  07:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:

But seriously, why would anyone in fucking Canada hate the US? Or South America? What have we done to you all?

It's not 'hate'. Brazil's population, the only country I know, has nothing against the U.S. other than the exploitation of our trading deals (for instance, US pressuring us so they won't have to pay our taxes as everyone else does, pushing our product prices very, very low, prohibiting Brazil from selling Brazilian made AIDS medicines to Africa and things like that). You'll hardly find anyone that hates U.S., except the ultra-patriotic political zealots, but those are against everything anyway. The rest just downright worship the country or ignore its existence whenever possible (as myself).

Of course, I'm speaking for myself and the people I know.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  10:01:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
"But seriously, why would anyone in fucking Canada hate the US? Or South America? What have we done to you all?"

Um, why would anyone in America hate France? Or Canada? (I know a Republican student who sneers and scowls at the meer mention of our neighbor to the north) You ask the above question as if mindless patriotism and scorn of a foreign culture and government were a RATIONAL thing. It is not.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 07/24/2005 10:02:23
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  10:07:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I dunno but this seemed somehow appropriate to this thread. These are the lyrics to one of my favorite Randy Newman songs called “Political Science.”

No one likes us-I don't know why
We may not be perfect, but heaven knows we try
But all around, even our old friends put us down
Let's drop the big one and see what happens

We give them money-but are they grateful?
No, they're spiteful and they're hateful
They don't respect us-so let's surprise them
We'll drop the big one and pulverize them

Asia's crowded and Europe's too old
Africa is far too hot
And Canada's too cold
And South America stole our name
Let's drop the big one
There'll be no one left to blame us

We'll save Australia
Don't wanna hurt no kangaroo
We'll build an All American amusement park there
They got surfin', too

Boom goes London and boom Paree
More room for you and more room for me
And every city the whole world round
Will just be another American town
Oh, how peaceful it will be
We'll set everybody free
You'll wear a Japanese kimono
And there'll be Italian shoes for me

They all hate us anyhow
So let's drop the big one now
Let's drop the big one now

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  05:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Like overthrowing numerous democratically elected governments?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  12:32:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
If the US were to cease all foreign aid, and call all debt due, what would happen to the rest of the world?

What would Europe and Japan look like at this moment if the US hadn't forgiven debts and helped reconstruction?
Yeah, and what would North America look like if the French haden't sent badly needed reinforcments after you declared an independent nation and decided to throw out the Brits.
And let me remember for you, that Vikings discovered North America long before Columbus or any Britons. (though, I concede, that Natives moved in there long before Vikings learned to sail).
We can be arguing this chain of events, and who should be grateful to whom until our face turns blue. The thing is: today people around the world are afraid that American military boots may be marching right over them at any time, and people are pissed off because USA doesn't care about Geneva Conventions, and people are pissed off because the American government support American companies that exploit natural recources of other coutries.

I myself is a bit pissed off at my own government from letting German companies exploit Swedish natural recources (forests and hydroelectric power) and more and more realestates close to/in lovely rural areas are bought up by non-Swedish citizens. But I live in a rich country, I can afford not to care as much. But I can imagine what people in poorer countries think.

quote:

The thing is, we are just people. Not all that different from people anywhere else. The constructive thing to do, instead of call us names and burn flags in protest (or commit violent acts against us), is to speak up. Engage us in a dialogue.
The French did that when you decided to march side by side with the English into Iraq, and look how popular they are in the US. "Freedom" fries, huh?

quote:

Don't feed them.

Too late. They have already taken a dump in our back yard. And you're upset about us crying that it stinks?

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  12:44:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Trust me, I'm painfully aware of this (and I also noted this fact in a post that Kil commented on, earlier in the thread, in case you missed).

In the latest election in Sweden, leaders of all parties lamented the fact that slightly less than 80% voted, and said that a lower percentage would be bad for democracy. I feel it's beyond ironic when Americans are presenting USA as the greatest democracy in the world. Most powerful country? Yes. But not the greatest democracy (hell, even the Ukraine Republic looks better right now).

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.