Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Health
 Celiac Sprue and what exactly contains Gluten...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  08:41:35  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Sprue.

quote:
Celiac disease is a digestive disease that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food. People who have celiac disease cannot tolerate a protein called gluten, found in wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten is found mainly in foods, but is also found in products we use every day and even some medicines.

from: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/

However, my cookbook that I picked up, says no oats. There seems to be some debate about distilled vinegar and malt also.

The only known 'cure' is to eat a gluten free diet. I'd really like to know if there is a reliable source for which foods contain gluten and which ones don't. Or am I left at the mercy of trying to figure out which ones adversely affect me? Package labeling isn't consistent either, many packages don't say that the product is manufactured in a plant that also processes wheat.

quote:
Checking labels for "gluten free" is important since many corn and rice products are produced in factories that also manufacture wheat products. Hidden sources of gluten include additives such as modified food starch, preservatives, and stabilizers. Wheat and wheat products are often used as thickeners, stabilizers, and texture enhancers in foods.

Any help in figuring out some of these discrepancies would be appreciated.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  08:54:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The Celiac Disease Foundation is probably the go-to source for information.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  09:27:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Alcohol and vinegar that are properly distilled should not contain any harmful gluten peptides (or prolomines). Research indicates that the gluten peptide is too large to carry over in the distillation process. This leaves the resultant liquid gluten-free unless a gluten-containing additive is inserted after the distillation process. Alcohols and vinegars should be carefully investigated for additives before use. Malt vinegars are not distilled and therefore are not gluten-free.

An answer at last to the malt issue. Ooh, and I'm buying my cookbooks through their site - I just spent 18.00 per book at Borders and Amazon has them at 12.24. I wonder what their shipping costs are though.

There's nothing in Colorado for Celiacs though. Hmm, would start something - only that would mean potential contact with my brother.

Thanks Dave.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:21:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Sure thing, Trish. I knew about the CDF through my research on psoriasis, as it appears that psoriatics are somewhat less gluten tolerant than average folks. Considering gluten intolerance is an immunity issue, and psoriasis is an immune-mediated disease, this is not really surprising. One study which has yet to be replicated suggests that a psoriatic with gluten intolerance can reduce their psoriasis symptoms through a gluten-free diet.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  10:45:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Hmm, this website seems to have a bit more about celiac than I've seen elsewhere. http://www.psoriasis.org/publications/advance/200406_gluteninterview.php

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  12:35:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Yeah, the Michaelsson study was what I was talking about (the second, treatment, study specifically). Read about it years before the NPF published that article.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  17:58:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Trish said:
However, my cookbook that I picked up, says no oats. There seems to be some debate about distilled vinegar and malt also.

The only known 'cure' is to eat a gluten free diet. I'd really like to know if there is a reliable source for which foods contain gluten and which ones don't. Or am I left at the mercy of trying to figure out which ones adversely affect me? Package labeling isn't consistent either, many packages don't say that the product is manufactured in a plant that also processes wheat.

Trish, In your shoes, I'd probably eliminate all foods that any reputable source says has gluten. Then, with an "iffy" foods, I would slowly try them, one at a time, and observe results.

So sorry you're sick.

trish
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  20:06:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Thanks Trish. It's really not being sick though. Celiac is a genetic autoimmune disorder. So, I can't have 'traditional' breads, ever. Unfortunately, many products contain hidden gluten. Modified food starch being one of them, which essentially removes all canned soups. Solution, make my own soup. Which ought to be interesting as I'm a mediocre cook at best. But the diets for celiac are better than they were 50 years ago, which was bananas and rice only. Terrible way to live. Do have to watch the additives in the medications I take, glutens are used as a binding agent in many pills. I even have to be careful the toothpaste I use is gluten free.

Not eating gluten free will make me sick. I've been off gluten for two weeks now. I can tell when I get ahold of something I shouldn't. This is really the first time in a long time that I've been able to eat and not be in pain following the meal. So, prefer eating gluten free over that. I'm just trying to follow this properly. My insurance doesn't cover a nutritionist, I have to pay for their fees and I can't afford it. My diagnosis isn't complete, but again my insurance won't cover the small bowel biopsy that will confirm the celiac. Since my brother's was confirmed via biopsy, and I'm positive for the antigens, my dr and I decided that I should go ahead and assume celiac. So, due to minimal insurance coverage I'm stuck with information I can find on my own. Great to use the skeptical skills I have for something that is really challenging on a personal level.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.