RSS anyone?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  16:19:36  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
You guys interested in having RSS for the forums?

I run a Snitz forum and I have a RSS asp compatible with Snitz if you want to try it out.

You can see it in action on my forum: http://www.kensalter.com/forum (look of the RSS buttons beside each forum)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  18:23:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
What, precisely, does RSS do, anyway?

I've seen it around, but haven't gone looking for details. A short summary of its pros/cons would be nice, thanks.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  07:06:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
RSS (real simple syndication) is a method through which you can receive feeds from other sites (such as a newspapers headlines) and display them in your site. You can also choose which news you want to display (for instance, you can receive all technology news from, oh, the BBC site rather than all of it; or all Internet related news, from the Technology channel, from the same BBC site). Likewise, you can enable another site to pull the latest news/updates/whatever from your site.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  13:55:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
One thing is that I can put the rss link into my rss newsreader (Mozilla Thunderbird for one)...whenever a new post is made in the forum, it will show up in the newsreader where I can read it. A rss link could be made for each forum here, then I can monitor the forums I want via the reader. If I want to post, I'll have to use the browser, but for just reading/monitoring, it could be done in the newsreader.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2005 :  16:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
The RSS updates are also really light weight. So someone can read any updates without having to wait for the entire page to render.

While we're on forum improvements, can we get links to new pages? I find it very annoying that I have to click on a topic and then select which page I want to read. I want to go straight to the last page I read.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  13:04:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

The RSS updates are also really light weight. So someone can read any updates without having to wait for the entire page to render.

While we're on forum improvements, can we get links to new pages? I find it very annoying that I have to click on a topic and then select which page I want to read. I want to go straight to the last page I read.

That reminds me of a feature I've seen on php-based forums:
During rendering time, an icon is marking every thread in which I've posted. Unfortunately this option is probably not available to Snitz-forums (never seen one on any Snitz-forum I've visited, only php-based ones).

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2005 :  13:17:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I don't have that either, but I bet it is easy to do...I'll take a look at it when I get the chance.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.