Tooth Fairy, is he falsifiable?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

abnoxio

10 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  14:40:09  Show Profile  Visit abnoxio's Homepage Send abnoxio a Private Message
I've pretty much dedicated my life to proving the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist. But there are so many little kids who just can't let it go.
Is it possible that the Tooth Fairy really exists? Was he resurrected and given a supernatural form that allows him to coin money and do countless exchanges each night? Maybe I just need to have more of an open mind. You know change my spiritual perspective to accomodate a Tooth Fairy-based reality.

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  14:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
I've pretty much dedicated my life to proving the Tooth Fairy doesn't exist.

If you want to scientifically prove that the tooth fairy does not exist, then you're out of luck. Science can't prove negatives.
quote:
Is it possible that the Tooth Fairy really exists? Was he resurrected and given a supernatural form that allows him to coin money and do countless exchanges each night?

The tooth fairy could exist. But if it is supernatural, then science can offer no help.
quote:
Maybe I just need to have more of an open mind. You know change my spiritual perspective to accomodate a Tooth Fairy-based reality.

It's always good to have an open mind, but not to the extent that your brain falls out. (Was it Sagan who said that? Brillant comment).

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

abnoxio

10 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  15:08:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit abnoxio's Homepage Send abnoxio a Private Message
Well I have had several personal experiences with him.
Ok, I guess I need to accept him as my personal Tooth Fairy right?
If science can't prove he doesn't exist then that must mean he's real!
I think I'm halfway to conversion.

<music> Away in a manger the Tooth Fairy stalk,
don't look in his eyes or he'll shrivel your c......you get the idea </music>
Edited by - abnoxio on 07/27/2005 15:09:08
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  16:22:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Abnoxio, you could conduct some experiements. For instance, knock out some of your own teeth. Put them under your pillow. Then sleep. Were the teeth replaced with currency? Also, find some young children. Knock their teeth out. Then put their teeth under their pillow and force them to sleep. Hide and see if anyone exchanges said teeth for money.

While a negative result in either test doesn't mean that there is no Tooth Fairy, it can put you well on your way towards proving/disproving that there is a Tooth Fairy...
Go to Top of Page

abnoxio

10 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  16:24:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit abnoxio's Homepage Send abnoxio a Private Message
Hmm,do I really have to knock my own teeth out? How about two kids instead!
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  16:38:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
Man, you're mean.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  18:49:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Does the tooth fairy exist - a logical argument:

Premises:
People loose teeth.
Dentists extract teeth, and thus has access to more of them.
If the tooth fairy exists, then dentists should be richer than the average person.
Dentists are richer than the average person.
Conclusion:
The is a tooth fairy.

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2005 :  21:19:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by woolytoad

Man, you're mean.
All in the name of science, man!
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  01:43:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
The tooth fairy exists.

We usually call it Mom or Dad.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  02:48:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, abnoxio.

As has been noted, science cannot deal with the supernatural simply because, by it's very nature, no emperical evidence exists; not for gods, not for demons, nor for tooth fairies.

Howsomever, I once knew a tooth fairy of sorts. He knocked out two of a friend's teeth, then, feeling a lot of heat from the brothers in the M/C, wisely paid for the dental work.

The Tooth Fairy in the movie The Tenth Kingdom will give you a whole, new slant on the topic....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

abnoxio

10 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  12:42:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit abnoxio's Homepage Send abnoxio a Private Message
filthy, thanks for the welcome, I'm surprised I haven't caught up with this group earlier.
have a good weekend.

but it does seem a bit pointless to a degree argueing with, fundies, mystics,reiki master,(I literally work with one right now who is going through neurolinguistics programming, NLP and as well spends a week at thye monroe center each year, an absolutely delightful guy, a bit shy, but you get the idea). I was a fundie for many years, and I have have had my explosive outpourings of the spirit in forum context months and years directly following my escape from 13 years as a member of the international churh of christ, kip's baby. and before that, long story and way off topic!

you going to TAM4?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  13:16:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by abnoxio

filthy, thanks for the welcome, I'm surprised I haven't caught up with this group earlier.
have a good weekend.

but it does seem a bit pointless to a degree argueing with, fundies, mystics,reiki master,(I literally work with one right now who is going through neurolinguistics programming, NLP and as well spends a week at thye monroe center each year, an absolutely delightful guy, a bit shy, but you get the idea). I was a fundie for many years, and I have have had my explosive outpourings of the spirit in forum context months and years directly following my escape from 13 years as a member of the international churh of christ, kip's baby. and before that, long story and way off topic!

you going to TAM4?

Sadly no. I'm on a fixed income and $$$ are tight. One year, maybe.

I think that we write as much for the lurkers, of which we have many, on this site as anyone else. It is impossible to change the minds of the convinced, unless they came in with doubts to start with, no matter how strong your evidence to the contrary might be. If it weren't for lurkers, the whole thing would be a little discouraging, although some interesting arguments occasionally come up. Also some entertaining nonsense....

Anyhow, good to see you here and looking forward to your input.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2005 :  14:54:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
The Tooth Fairy in the movie The Tenth Kingdom will give you a whole, new slant on the topic....

I really recommend reading "Hogfather" by Terry Pratchett.
It's the usually insane but hystrically funny story setting of Discworld, and the Tooth Fairy plays a small, but rather important role in plot.

If you are unfamilliar with Terry Pratchett, think of him as similar to Douglas Adams, but writes mostly fantacy. To get an introduction to Discworld, read "The colour of Magic".

I also recommend his stab at sci-fi: "Strata"

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  14:14:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Hawks wrote: "If you want to scientifically prove that the tooth fairy does not exist, then you're out of luck."

I'm glad you made this distinction. At the original Camp Quest (a camp for atheist and humanist kids), one of the camp's director's, Edwin Kagin, offers a "godless" hundred dollar bill (a bill printed before "In God We Trust" was added) to anyone who can "prove that the two invisible unicorns at Camp Quest don't exist." In 2002, a supersmart 12-year-old girl had done a ton of research on her own, and before a microphone and the entire camp, she outlined about 5 different, clear arguments for why the unicorns didn't exist. Of course she didn't offer a scientific argument, because indeed science can't prove such a negative. Her reasons got her huge applause, and many of us counselors wanted old Edwin to give her the bill, but he woulnd't. We told him he should have been more specific and asked for scientific proof.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/01/2005 14:26:25
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2005 :  14:32:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
I'm glad you made this distinction. At the original Camp Quest (a camp for atheist and humanist kids), one of the camp's director's, Edwin Kagin, offers a "godless" hundred dollar bill (a bill printed before "In God We Trust" was added) to anyone who can "prove that the two invisible unicorns at Camp Quest don't exist." In 2002, a supersmart 12-year-old girl had done a ton of research on her own, and before a microphone and the entire camp, she outlined about 5 different, clear arguments for why the unicorns didn't exist. Of course she didn't offer a scientific argument, because indeed science can't prove such a negative. Her reasons got her huge applause, and many of us counselors wanted old Edwin to give her the bill, but he woulnd't. We told him he should have been more specific and asked for scientific proof.

Isn't it a bit tight to require a 12-year-old to understand the impossibility of proving negatives? Heck, most adults probably can't grasp the concept.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2005 :  09:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
A father crept into his daughters bedroom to take her tooth from under her pillow and leave her a dollar, when the little girl woke up and saw what her dad was doing.
The father was dissapointed that he let her find out there was no tooth fairy. Well unfortunately the girl then proceeded to tell all the little kids in the neighborhood what had happened. When dad found out he told her to stop telling the kids that he had put the dollar under her pillow.
But alas the damage was done - the next day when he came home from work there were 15 or 20 kids at his house waiting to meet the tooth fairy.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.