Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  07:06:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

You and Dr. Mabuse assume I follow God because I am afraid not going to heaven. Not true.
I did not assume anything about you.
My comment to Dr. Mabuses post was general.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  08:06:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
In response to the_ignored's first post: he quotes come from the same culture I am; where that kind of thing is registered as creepy.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and need some clarification. Are you saying that it is creepy for a man to take a shower with his young son or are you saying that it is creepy for a man to take a shower with his son with the intention of preventing homosexuality?

I do think that a dad deciding to take a shower with his little boy for that purpose is creepy, but there's nothing creepy about parents being naked around their kids. I and most of my cousins took baths with our parents (of both the same and opposite sex) when we were little kids. My friend Connie's parents are at-home nudists and so they walked around the house naked while their kids were growing up.

My friend Lara just commented that if you really want to prevent your son from being gay, he should take a shower with a hot chick. *KIDDING*

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 08/18/2005 08:07:57
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  08:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:

Originally posted by R.Wreck

quote:
[Theft and dishonesty have real social negative affects. What negative affect does being gay have, besides upsetting some mouth breathing lunatics?

I am talking about what God consideres sin, not what negative impact it has on society. I will follow Gods morals before our societies morals.

You are not very far from justifying murder in the name of god. Would you kill if god told you too? God has done this in the past (according to the religios texts i.e. bible), so please don't say that god would never do that.

I realize this is OFF-TOPIC, so if you want to reply in another thread (or not at all) it is okay.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 08/18/2005 08:17:11
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:10:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

.... It takes God to help me overcome these desires. The same is for steeling, lying and homosexuality.

No, it takes YOU to overcome those desires. You may use God as your rationale but in the end you make the decisions. That's what your Bible says doesn't it?

Desires to do selfish things are also a trade off. It isn't whether something is moral, it's whether we choose one thing over another. Kids lie. Anyone whose raised a little bugger knows that. They lie even when it isn't in their best interest because they have a natural drive not to incriminate themselves. (It's a genetic function of social evolution in the world according to beskeptigal.)

Men on the whole do have desires for sex beyond ties to one's partner. Women do as well but loyalty to a partner is a stronger drive in women. (This comment is on the whole. Individuals clearly have a range of emotions from loyalty to sexual adventurism.)

But choosing to cheat can come at a great cost. People choose, they don't just refrain because of some 'moral' imperative.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:12:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Originally posted by R.Wreck

quote:
[Theft and dishonesty have real social negative affects. What negative affect does being gay have, besides upsetting some mouth breathing lunatics?

I am talking about what God consideres sin, not what negative impact it has on society. I will follow Gods morals before our societies morals.

What do you do when there is that contradiction in Biblical text? An eye for an eye or turn the other cheek? You have to rationalize which is correct in order to choose a path.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:16:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

In response to the_ignored's first post: he quotes come from the same culture I am; where that kind of thing is registered as creepy.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and need some clarification. Are you saying that it is creepy for a man to take a shower with his young son or are you saying that it is creepy for a man to take a shower with his son with the intention of preventing homosexuality?

I do think that a dad deciding to take a shower with his little boy for that purpose is creepy, but there's nothing creepy about parents being naked around their kids. I and most of my cousins took baths with our parents (of both the same and opposite sex) when we were little kids. My friend Connie's parents are at-home nudists and so they walked around the house naked while their kids were growing up.

My friend Lara just commented that if you really want to prevent your son from being gay, he should take a shower with a hot chick. *KIDDING*

The latter. There is nothing wrong with how modest or immodest a family chooses to be around each other. As a single Mom who raised a son, hey, I saw no reason to close the bathroom door until my son got old enough to initiate privacy himself.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:21:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

.... It takes God to help me overcome these desires. The same is for steeling, lying and homosexuality.

No, it takes YOU to overcome those desires. You may use God as your rationale but in the end you make the decisions. That's what your Bible says doesn't it?
I respect that this is what you beleive. I disagree.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:

What do you do when there is that contradiction in Biblical text? An eye for an eye or turn the other cheek? You have to rationalize which is correct in order to choose a path.

If you pray and study the scriptures as a whole, God will give you discernment on what to do in any situation.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:45:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:

quote:

If you pray and study the scriptures as a whole, God will give you discernment on what to do in any situation.

If that were the case, then we wouldn't have so many christian denominations, and so many christians arguing about stuff like whether there's a real eternal hell or not

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:47:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

You are not very far from justifying murder in the name of god. Would you kill if god told you too? God has done this in the past (according to the religios texts i.e. bible), so please don't say that god would never do that.

I realize this is OFF-TOPIC, so if you want to reply in another thread (or not at all) it is okay.

God has killed people. The people he killed in the bible were not going to repent and were wicked. God acted in righteous judgement. Like it or not, the wages of sin is death.

As to your question, would I kill if God told me to, I don't know. It would take alot of prayer and faith to trust god in something like that. The story of Abraham and Isaac comes to mind. Right now I do not have enough faith to do what Abraham did.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  13:59:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
God has killed people. The people he killed in the bible were not going to repent and were wicked.

So you believe in pre-destination?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  15:23:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:

I think you've backed yourself into a logic trap from which you cannot escape and remain rational.

Free will or not?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  16:28:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
quote:

God has killed people. The people he killed in the bible were not going to repent and were wicked. God acted in righteous judgement. Like it or not, the wages of sin is death.
[/quote]Even when those he killed have not sinned themselves? Example: David and Bathsheba's first love child? The parents fooled around, and as punishment god kills the kid.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  16:47:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
We should be getting pretty close to the "God is outside of human understanding" argument.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2005 :  18:04:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
It may be natural or unnatural, I do not know. I only know it is unnatural for me but it could be natural for some. I take their word for it that they were born homosexual. If left to natural desires some not all people would steal, lie, commit adultery and some would and do commit murder. I have thoughts about pretty women when I see them that are wrong and is sin. It takes God to help me overcome these desires. The same is for steeling, lying and homosexuality.
It takes a god to overcome the desires you have regarding attractive women?!? Wow-- those must be pretty powerful desires. Because I have some desires about attractive women all the time. Yet me, in all my godlessness, still don't act on them. Funny how things work...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.