Religion
 Test your spiritual health with RR!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  22:19:27  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
Oh god. If you ever want to see a bunch of loaded questions and strawmen, check this out.

I like what it says on the page you get to after you choose
-there is no god

then
-I have no evidence that he does exist.
http://raptureready.com/health/11.html
quote:
I have no evidence that God does exists

In most cases, the rejection of the Creator does not result from logical conclusions. The average athesist, if he's honest with himself, will cite an emotional motivation for his lack of faith in God.

The late Isaac Asimov once wrote: #8220;Emotionally I am an atheist. I don#8217;t have the evidence to prove that God doesn#8217;t exist, but I so strongly suspect that he doesn#8217;t that I don#8217;t want to waste my time.#8221; Now that Mr. Asimov is dead, I suspect he wishes would evested time into proving the exists of God.

Most people who do not think God exists retray their stance by arguing with Him. If God is not real, there is no need to be hostile him or anyone who believes in him.

Crap, they even have grammatical/spelling errors!

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

dv82matt
SFN Regular

760 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  23:36:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dv82matt a Private Message
I have some Christian friends who are generally quite intelligent but when it comes to religious issues it's like they suddenly turn their brains off.

I'd like to believe that they'd see through this kind of phoney baloney, but I honestly think that if Rapture Ready were to fix up their spelling and grammar most of them would fall for these arguements hook line and sinker.

Pretty depressing actually.
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  23:43:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
I chose the agnostic path.

quote:
Most other religion have the same amount of truth

The supremacy of Christianity over all other faiths is not based on arrogance. It is simply based on facts. If your house were to catch on fire, what do you think would be superior at extinguishing the flames--water or gasoline? They are both liquids, but one is obviously better qualified at the task of quenching the fire.

God has plainly said that Christianity is superior to all other faiths. There is no coming together for the sake of love and understanding. Many liberal churches try to use the fight against racial hatred as an excuse for forming alliances with other faiths. The Christians who resist the unity movement are called intolerant.

Uh ... but wasn't Jesus Jewish?
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  04:22:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
A Jewish Rabbi to be precise, (supposedly) well versed in the laws of Moses.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  06:55:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
And other than in the Christians' own bible, I wonder if there are other sources where we can find specific claims that "God has plainly said that Christianity is superior to all other faiths." So, "The supremacy of Christianity over all other faiths is not based on arrogance", eh? Dangerously naive.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  07:42:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
God has plainly said that Christianity is superior to all other faiths.

Huh? Name one single religion that says that their religion is not superior to any other (either directly, or by stating that other religions are false)... It kind of goes with the territory. The exception might be Buddhism, which seems to me more philosophy than religion anyway.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  07:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
The problem being their definition of "fact" which is so screwed up they believe all kinds of things...rapture, genesis, flood, tower of babel, plagues, handwriting on the wall, dead rising from the grave, seas parting, destruction of cities by fire and sulfus, people turning into salt, ezekial's hallucinations, talking snakes, whale swallowing people then spitting them out again alive, men being burned alive and surviving, man so strong he destroyed buildings...whew I'm tired!

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  08:03:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

Huh? Name one single religion that says that their religion is not superior to any other (either directly, or by stating that other religions are false)... It kind of goes with the territory. The exception might be Buddhism, which seems to me more philosophy than religion anyway.

It's said (Valiant may correct me if I'm wrong) that Wiccans believe all gods can be summed to a single god, and all goddesses to a single goddess, and both into a single being. Meaning, none of the others are wrong, they're just different interpretations of the Mother's will.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  08:45:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:

Damn, that is a funny line. Probably what is funnier yet is that the people that wrote that line don't understand why it is so funny.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.