New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  22:52:03  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
Hey skeptics - if the FCC can censure Howard Stern for smutty talk, and CBS for a brief flash of Janet Jackson's nipple, and frighten cable stations into instituting 5 second lags to prevent diryt words from slipping by [how'd they miss Novak's expletive?]

This is an opportunity to flood the FCC with letters/emails to tell them that if they want to represent community standards they should know that we want more smut and nipples, and we object to a person who has a broadcast license [which entails not only the opportunity to make buckets of money, but the responsibility to keep the public informed] not only suggesting the murder of a government official, but calling the democratically-elected Pres Chavez a dictator. WHy is ok to say total lies on TV, but notnonviolent sexy jokes?

trish

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  22:22:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Trish,

Thank you so much for such a smart response to Robertson's latest madness. Everyone around me (people and media) have been taking pot shots at Robertson because it is just so easy, but no one had suggested a constructive course of action that would take advantage of his moronic statement. I'll definitely be writing the FCC and encourage all my friends to do the same.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  01:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
You can sign this petition as well:

http://tools.democracyforamerica.com/petition/robertson/
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  21:13:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
This will probably become an ongoing story. Pat Robertson just doesn't know when to shut up. And no, I'm not psychic. It's just too easy to predict more wild and dangerous comments will be coming from him. Read the latest here...
quote:
Venezuelan Officials Call Pat Robertson's Latest Comments "Crazy"...

Last night, on CNN's Late Edition, Pat Robertson said of Venezuela's President Chavez, "This man is setting up a Marxist-type dictatorship in Venezuela. He is trying to spread Marxism throughout South America. He is negotiating with the Iranians to get nuclear material, and he also sent $1.2 million in cash to Osama bin Laden right after [the terrorist attacks of] 9-11." Robertson would not say what his sources for his claims were, but speculated that sometime soon the U.S. could face a nuclear attack from Venezuela.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  23:44:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Robertson becomes less relevant every time he opens his deluded mouth. I think his influence is beginning to wane -- only the die-hard believers in his perverted version of morality take him seriously.

His latest blither, posted by GeeMack, is a pretty good sign of trying to grab headlines by any and all means possible. I've looked around a bit (rather casually, I'll admit -- didn't expect much) and found not the first scrap of evidence in support of his claims.

But he's on fairly safe grounds this time, unless there is another outcry. Our government has a long and sordid history of fucking around with Latin America politics, and the Bush administration doesn't like Chavez (or democratcy, comes to that).

I'm wondering if he'll be forced into yet another meaningless apology.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2005 :  03:28:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Just happened upon this:
quote:

WHEN THE EARTH MOVES
Robertson: Disasters
point to 2nd Coming
Evangelist observes quakes, hurricanes 'starting to hit with amazing regularity'

By Joe Kovacs
© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

Pat Robertson

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. – This weekend's catastrophic earthquake in South Asia in the wake of recent U.S. hurricanes and December's tsunami is catching the eye of televangelist Pat Robertson, who says we "might be" in the End Times described in the Bible.

"These things are starting to hit with amazing regularity," Robertson said on CNN's "Late Edition."

apparently Pat, among many others fails to read the history of end-times prophetcy. Or perhaps he has; he's a little hard to pin down on this one.

The man's an motormouth and a fraud never the less.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.