Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  04:24:48  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Scary reading,
Texas discredits textbook
, Conservative groups lobbied against science textbook.

I'll guess this kind of thing happens everywhere, but it scary to see the success of these american talibans.
Control the information and you control democracy.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

Rubicon95
Skeptic Friend

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  05:55:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rubicon95 a Private Message
That's nothing new. My Father worked for Silver-Burdett & Ginn, a division of Simon and Schuster. They produced school textbooks. He informed me that they had to frequently edit textbooks to suit the Board of Education in order to sell them to Texas. They (Board of Education) have their own version of History.

This was back in the late 70's-early 80's.
Go to Top of Page

CourseKnot
Skeptic Friend

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  09:18:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send CourseKnot a Private Message
I'll guess this kind of thing happens everywhere, but it scary to see the success of these american talibans.
Control the information and you control democracy.
[/quote]

This is why I will teach my kids to think freely and have an open mind, you cannot believe everything you read, and history is written by the publishers.

Just flying through space with the rest of you...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  10:04:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I think the inspiration comes from Dubya. He is a lying cretin and therefore Texas must become a breeding ground for more cretins of the ilk in his honor.

The question now is, when will we secede from Texas? I say, start the revolution without further delay. Failing that, stockpile canned food and ammunition.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2005 :  10:29:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Since I entered the international internet grounds, I've realized sometimes our version of history contradicts dramatically with US's version of history. It's sad when you have to teach kids as old as you (or even older) about, say, WWII.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  01:57:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong
James W. Loewen

Great book that touches on history distortions taught in US classes. I'd bet other countries have the same whitewashing of the past issues as well though.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  03:37:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

James W. Loewen

Great book that touches on history distortions taught in US classes. I'd bet other countries have the same whitewashing of the past issues as well though.

Goes with the territory, B'gal. The victor gets to write the history.

However, there is a rat turd in that sugar bowl: Others also write, and the wise historian gathers all of the text available to sort out what really happened. Unfortunatly, those in power, greater or lesser, tend to cherry-pick for the 'history' they prefer, often complete fabrications.

Never the less, you can deny and bury history, and burn the books that contain it, but you cannot change it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  08:15:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

James W. Loewen

True, but I've to say my Brazilian history classes were far of being romanticized. In summary, we just learned most of our leaders since its founding were humans, with positive and negative points (including the dictators) and how exactly said positive and negative points made our society of today. The student is entitled to make his/her own mind .

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2005 :  14:42:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
It's annoying when people are ignorant. It's sickening when they battle to pass on that ignorance to children.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.