Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 Army Uses Teleportation to Capture bin Laden!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  15:28:05  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Okay, I do a lot of Googling for various material, and I don't really know how I end up on this sort of thing, but it's all out there. (Sometimes way out there. I couldn't make this up.) Here's an oddball report about the possibility of teleportation and the potential for using it as a military tool. It's posted at the "Paranormal Swamp - Florida Suncoast Paranormal Investigations".

Science on the Edge : Military Examines Beaming Up Data, People

Some of the interesting tidbits from the article are...
quote:
Frustrated that terrorist kingpin Osama bin Laden is still on the loose nearly four years after the Sept. 11 attacks, a few military types and their scientific advisers are pondering a "what if" solution straight out of TV's "Star Trek."

Wouldn't it be neat, they ask, if we could nab bin Laden via teleportation? In "Star Trek," the characters traveled between spaceship and planet by having their bodies dematerialized, then "beamed" to another locale -- hence, the characters' familiar request to the ship's engineer: "Beam me up, Scotty."

[...]

Pierre Chao, a senior fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, said such seemingly bizarre research might be the necessary price that the United States must pay in order to guard its future security.

[...]

"The strategy is to get China to waste money on things that we know are not feasible, while discouraging them from working on things that we believe to be quite promising," said John Pike, a veteran defense policy analyst in the Washington, D.C., area. He cites the military's bankrolling of research on an allegedly novel source of energy called hafnium isomers: "The U.S. continues to fund work in this field, despite the fact that it contravenes known laws of physics."
Much of the article discusses a report created by physicist Eric W. Davis, and apparently submitted to the U.S. Air Force for review. If you want the real meat of this one, here is an Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) copy of the report...

Teleportation Physics Study

It is quite lengthy and has lots of discussion on technical physics that goes way over my head. Some interesting material can be found around pages 56 and 57 about Chinese children teleporting various objects.
quote:
A more spectacular series of rigorously controlled (and repeatable!) laboratory experiments occurred in the Peoples Republic of China (PRC). In September 1981, an extraordinary paper was published in the PRC in the journal Ziran Zazhi (transl.: Nature Journal), and this paper was entitled, "Some Experiments on the Transfer of Objects Performed by Unusual Abilities of the Human Body" (Shuhuang et al., 1981). The paper reported that gifted children were able to cause the apparent teleportation of small objects (radio micro-transmitters, photosensitive paper, mechanical watches, horseflies, other insects, etc.) from one location to another (that was meters away) without them ever touching the objects beforehand. The experiments were operated under exceptionally wellcontrolled conditions (both blind and double-blind). The researchers involved included not only observers from various PRC colleges and medical research institutes, but also representatives from the PRC National Defense Science Commission.
If you peruse the report you might notice the name "Uri Geller" mentioned in a few spots. Credible? Uh, beam me up indeed.

Edited by - GeeMack on 08/30/2005 16:52:07

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2005 :  16:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
The experiments were operated under exceptionally wellcontrolled conditions (both blind and double-blind).

Why would you want such a study to be (double)blind?

quote:
the high-speed photography/videotaping recorded in one series of experiments that test specimens would physically “meld” or blend with the walls of sealed containers; and recorded in a different series of experiments that test specimens would simply disappear from inside the container only to reappear at another location (after seconds to several minutes of time transpired), such that the test specimen did not actually undergo total material disintegration/reintegration during teleportation – this data is important, because without the aid of electronic monitoring instruments, the average person's sensory organs and usual methods of detection are temporarily unable to perceive the test specimen's (ambiguous) existence during the teleportation process

Now that would be interesting to see. Where do you reckon we can find these films? Area 51?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.