Soylent Green not a fantasy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  17:09:01  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Mad-cow disease came from South Asia: Lancet paper Yahoo news account:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050901/hl_afp/healthmadcowsasia_050901213650

Oh my word! Human body parts to the rendering plants? Whoa!

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  17:25:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
Feeding humans to cows as opposed to feeding cows to humans.

Hindus do venerate their bovine brothers more than their human ones.

That Ganges is a mess, but I still don't understand how this would have got mad cow disease into England.

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  19:59:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
What a coincidence! I just watched Soylent Green for the first time just one week ago. It was alright. Can't say that I really recommend anyone else to watch it.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  20:46:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Don't forget to read Baaa.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2005 :  12:03:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dry_vby

Feeding humans to cows as opposed to feeding cows to humans.

Hindus do venerate their bovine brothers more than their human ones.

That Ganges is a mess, but I still don't understand how this would have got mad cow disease into England.

Kuru
quote:

Kuru is a rare and fatal brain disorder that occurred at epidemic levels during the 1950s-60s among the Fore people in the highlands of New Guinea. The disease was the result of the practice of ritualistic cannibalism among the Fore, in which relatives prepared and consumed the tissues (including brain) of deceased family members. Brain tissue from individuals with kuru was highly infectious, and the disease was transmitted either through eating or by contact with open sores or wounds. Government discouragement of the practice of cannibalism led to a continuing decline in the disease, which has now mostly disappeared.

Mad Cow was thought to have entered the bovine food chain by feeding sheep brains infected with Scrapie to cows. From there humans who ate bovine brain or spinal column contaminated beef contracted the "New Variant CJD".

Kuru, Scrapie, CJD, BSE (Mad Cow) and New Variant CJD are all forms of prion diseases. They are all transmissible from eating nerve tissue from infected animals. Scrapie has never been transmitted to humans. BSE is new and transmission to humans is new. CJD appears sporadically and its source is unknown but it is known to be transmissible to other humans who are exposed to nerve tissue from infected persons. It has been transmitted to autopsy workers getting cut on a used instrument. Kuru was shown to be transmitted by eating human brains.

The general consensus was BSE came from Scrapie. This research poses an alternate source.

The idea that human bodies are thrown into the heap of animal carcases harvested out of the Ganges for animal feed is pretty incredible.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.