Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  03:53:04  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Just a small question in the back of my mind that would really have no impact upon any situation beyond making the chronicly bewildered uncomfortable. It concerns a few rather prominent people that are currently missing in action.

Where was Sylvia Brown when Katrina was no more than a mere low-pressure wheeze in the Carribean? I mean, c'mon, how could anyone claiming the power of prophetcy miss the upcoming destruction of New Orleans? To an expert psychic such as she, that should have stuck out like a hog in the parlor -- easy call.

Perhaps she was on vacation, eh?

Also on vacation it seems, were van Praagh, Edward, Geller (although he might claim to have caused it during a nocturnal brain fart), and all of the other fortune-tellers, astrologers, numerologists, shamen, phrenologists, juju men, bone and entrial readers, tarot dealers, palmists, crystal ballers, ouji board surfers, end-times preachers, more palmists, and those who specialize in the observation of the soggy sludge found in the bottom a teacup. Et al.

Yup, they all missed it, although I have a sneaking suspision that the prophetcy will sooner or later be found in the gibberings of the late Nostradamus. But then, everything is, after the fact.....

But that's not the question I really want to ask, no, although it's a good one. The question is; how in the hell do these obvious frauds manage to keep a following when they should be starving to death for a lack of customers?

Did'ya ever hear the old saying of: once burned, twice cautious? It simply doesn't seem to apply here. I mean, these so-called psychics have missed every, single event of any note, every, single time. They were somulent before the planes crashed into the Twin Towers; they were out to lunch preceeding the Indian Ocean earthquake & tsunami; and they were silent as Katrina paused long enough to take a healthy piss on Flordia before dumping a load on the Gulf Coast.

And yet people keep coming back to them, happily parting with their money, and no amount pointing out the facts of the matter will discourage them in the least. I think that it has to do with dat ol' debbil: faith. When it comes to faith, no amount of education will daunt it, which is why it is called, right and proper, 'blind' faith. I can think of a few more, rather harsher terms for it.....

So, the question, at last, is: How do you make the intellectually blind see? A further question might be: how do these bumpkins manage to find their way to town, but we'll leave that one for another time.

I have no answer -- does, last question, anyone?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  04:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Along those lines, and I apologize if this is a bit cold but, shouldn't there be tons of ghost sightings in the area?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  08:34:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
How do you make the intellectually blind see?

You don't. You just try to help the next generation not be so blind.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  09:03:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message
Get control of the media.

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  09:39:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
So, the question, at last, is: How do you make the intellectually blind see?

I tend to think it is more intellectual laziness than blindness. I have a hunch most of the blind would choose sight if they could. Believers could choose to think, but they don't. Belief in astrology, fortune telling, communicating with "the other side" (whatever the hell that is supposed to be), is so much easier than actually getting off your fat mental ass and investigating what actually has merit and what is, without a doubt, complete horseshit. How do you incite the lazy? I don't know. There may not be much hope for the vast majority of those already set in their believe-in-anything-as-long-as-it-makes-me-feel-good ways (because, after all, anything is possible, right?). I agree with Ricky. Try to prevent this disease in the first place with education.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  16:33:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck

So, the question, at last, is: How do you make the intellectually blind see?

I tend to think it is more intellectual laziness than blindness. I have a hunch most of the blind would choose sight if they could. Believers could choose to think, but they don't. Belief in astrology, fortune telling, communicating with "the other side" (whatever the hell that is supposed to be), is so much easier than actually getting off your fat mental ass and investigating what actually has merit and what is, without a doubt, complete horseshit. How do you incite the lazy? I don't know. There may not be much hope for the vast majority of those already set in their believe-in-anything-as-long-as-it-makes-me-feel-good ways (because, after all, anything is possible, right?). I agree with Ricky. Try to prevent this disease in the first place with education.

I agree with you to a point, but if you don't have access to something like skepticism, how are people supposed to practice it? Until I found this site, I had never even heard of skepticism, let alone there be an entire online community of skeptics.

But once one is lost to the dark side, they can (mostly) never come back. Reason never works on those who don't listen to it in the first place.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 09/03/2005 16:34:21
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2005 :  17:12:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

Along those lines, and I apologize if this is a bit cold but, shouldn't there be tons of ghost sightings in the area?

All in due course, my friend, all in due course...

The professional ghost chasers haven't had time to gear up yet, and I'm sure that over the next few years, the likes of Edward and van Praagh will make a fortune from goulishly channeling the dead of New Orleans.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  05:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
All in due course, my friend, all in due course...

The professional ghost chasers haven't had time to gear up yet, and I'm sure that over the next few years, the likes of Edward and van Praagh will make a fortune from goulishly channeling the dead of New Orleans.

That's true, but what I was thinking was this:

I think Storm said once that ghosts are causes by a traumatic death. If ghosts exist, then I can't think of a better way to provide evidence. There are so many that you think CNN would accidentally catch one.

Then again, the tsunami should have caused a plethora, but I haven't heard any reports of ghost sightings.

I imagine this is probably because of the media conspiracy with all the scientists to keep this information out of the mainstream, along with the moon landing hoax, Area 51, Miracles of god, cure for the common cold, ESP, etc.....

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  06:27:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
Without being a psychic, I predict that people will find the following during the rescue and clean up work:

- an intact Bible
- an American flag damaged in such a way it looks like there's a cross on it
- in a house, there will be a water damage stain that looks like Jesus

See? God really saved thousands of people, and he left his signature as well.

As for your questions, it is a bit strange that people believe in the self-proclaimed psychics. However, billions of people believe in at least one god, and many of them also believe that it's possible to talk to this god person. Sounds good, eh? Billions.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  13:12:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick

You meant of course, a stain in the image of Virgin Mary, that will make thousands of followers go there to witness the miracle?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2005 :  13:36:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse...

You meant of course, a stain in the image of Virgin Mary, that will make thousands of followers go there to witness the miracle?
At least one vision of the Virgin Mary was seen before the disaster. And she was facing west, towards a cemetery... a prophesy for sure! From Science Daily on August 22, 2005...

Virgin Mary spotted on Big Easy Billboard
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  11:09:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

True, it's mostly the virgin Mary who makes appearances in stains and sandiwches.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  11:16:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

True, it's mostly the virgin Mary who makes appearances in stains and sandiwches.

Agreed. Too easy to get images of Jesus confused with those of Frank Zappa.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  13:23:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
filthy said
quote:
Did'ya ever hear the old saying of: once burned, twice cautious?

How about this quote?
quote:
"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." George Bush September 17, 2002

But seriously just as people continue to believe in George Bush, people will continue to believe in these Woo-Woos rather than admit their heroes/idols are incompetent liars and fakes.

As far as ghosts are concerned have you ever noticed that most (all?) of the ghost sightings seem to be the spirits of whites? Considering the number of blacks that suffered violent deaths during slavery and well into the twentieth century I would think that if ghost did exist the tormented lingering spirits of those blacks should make up a large proportion of sightings at least in the south. Come to think of it the same could be said of Native Americans. How many ghost sighting have there been on the Trail of Tears or Wounded Knee? And is this lack of shall we say spirits of the minorities indicative of a racial bias among ghost hunters or is there something that precludes the spirits of minorities from hanging around here on earth?

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  15:27:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stargirl:

As far as ghosts are concerned have you ever noticed that most (all?) of the ghost sightings seem to be the spirits of whites? Considering the number of blacks that suffered violent deaths during slavery and well into the twentieth century I would think that if ghost did exist the tormented lingering spirits of those blacks should make up a large proportion of sightings at least in the south. Come to think of it the same could be said of Native Americans. How many ghost sighting have there been on the Trail of Tears or Wounded Knee? And is this lack of shall we say spirits of the minorities indicative of a racial bias among ghost hunters or is there something that precludes the spirits of minorities from hanging around here on earth?

It couldn't be that the minorities generally have less disposable income to throw at the frauds puprporting to contact the dearly departed, could it?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

trishran
Skeptic Friend

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2005 :  21:33:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trishran a Private Message
The thing I don't get is disaster survivors, when rescuers go to dangerous lengths to resuce them or bring them supplies,start thanking god. Does this not denegrate the efforts to the human who risked thier lives and ignored their own safety and comfort to help? I'd think, after having read huge chunks of the bible, that if God were involved, it would have been in the design and landfall of Katrina? It's like thanking a schoolyard bully after your friends pull him off of you.

trish
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.