New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  10:27:45  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
I doubt whether this idea is actually mine. Most likely I have ingested it while reading something obscure on the net, but nevertheless it deserves at least to be considered.

Consider a world where everyone is rendered barren at birth, having the process reversed only once they have completed a written test.

Not an advanced test, I am certainly not implying that only university graduates should have children, but a certain amount of sense should be expected of a paretn. Questions could be something like:

Your child asks you where babies come from. Do you:

a)Say that she is an evil child who will burn in hell and Jesus will weep at her ungodliness
b)Beat the child
c)Explain that your spouse will explain it.
d)Tell her about guns.

Your child is being potty trained. Do you:

a)Tell her that she is a naughty child and that is concentrated evil coming out of her backside(Family Guy)
b)Beat the child
c)Smile noncommitally and walk off.
d)Explain why shooting things is so much fun.

Your child is going through puberty. Do you:

a)Tell the child that her body is rotting because God had abandoned her. That the devil is responsible and had turned her into a toxic vessel for its purposes. That that's why Daddy left. Because her wretched body was swollen with evil.(Jerry Holkins aka. Tycho)
b)Beat the child
c)Ask how her day was in school.
d)Tell her that guns are good for society.

Just so that we get fewer neurotic, fanatic or dangerously violent children.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  10:53:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
What are you talking about?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  12:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
A written test which determines whether it is reasonable that you should have children.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  12:40:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Who gets to write the test and decide what the right answers are?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  12:49:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Who gets to write the test and decide what the right answers are?

I'll do it (hand waving franticly in the air)! I'll do it; I'll do it!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  05:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Can we screen out the fat chicks as well?

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

ocheewah
Skeptic Friend

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  08:00:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ocheewah a Private Message
Hey, some of us "fatties" (translate: well-padded in all the right places) make terrific parents. And what about all those people who are great test-takers but have no common sense or are totally self-absorbed. What makes them such good candidates for parenthood? And how do you delineate between fat, chunky, chubby, thick, etc? Where's the cut-off?

Early lesson in life - Why tap a six-pack when you can open a keg.

Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who could not hear the music.
Go to Top of Page

LizW
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  19:37:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LizW a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Subjectmatter

Your child asks you where babies come from. Do you:

a)Say that she is an evil child who will burn in hell and Jesus will weep at her ungodliness
b)Beat the child
c)Explain that your spouse will explain it.
d)Tell her about guns.

Your child is being potty trained. Do you:

a)Tell her that she is a naughty child and that is concentrated evil coming out of her backside(Family Guy)
b)Beat the child
c)Smile noncommitally and walk off.
d)Explain why shooting things is so much fun.

Your child is going through puberty. Do you:

a)Tell the child that her body is rotting because God had abandoned her. That the devil is responsible and had turned her into a toxic vessel for its purposes. That that's why Daddy left. Because her wretched body was swollen with evil.(Jerry Holkins aka. Tycho)
b)Beat the child
c)Ask how her day was in school.
d)Tell her that guns are good for society.
None of these answers are acceptable. From now on all answers will be submitted in the form of an essay. Now take out your blue books, also there will be 3 extra credit points for the person who can use the word vomit and the word patience in the same sentence.

You learn something new every g****mn day!
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  21:13:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message

You need a great deal of patience to raise children but every time I try being patient it makes me want to vomit.

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  21:23:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
This is a weird thread

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  23:01:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Should this have been posted in social issues or humor? Methinks the latter.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  15:57:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by astropin

This is a weird thread

Sew?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2005 :  19:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message

A needle pulling thread.

Me, a name I call myself.

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2005 :  09:07:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dry_vby

A needle pulling thread.

Me, a name I call myself.

Dough, means cash for all of us

Ray, a creepy guy I know

Me, a name I call my self

Farr, A guy from MASH

So, insipid is the plot

It will bring us back much Dough!

(Slightly changed from a MAD magazine "Sound of Music" parody.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  21:16:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
I know this thread didn't go very far but I just heard about this on the Mike Malloy show on Air America radio and thought it might give focus to this discussion.

According to this story Indiana is considering a bill to require a certificate for medically assisted pregnancies.

quote:
Among the determining factors is a requirement that the women be married to a person of the opposite sex. The assessment would contain a description of the family lifestyle and automatically exclude lesbians. Women would also have to provide proof that they have participated in faith-based or church activities.

So should the government be allowed to dictate who can have children by artificial means?

Considering the requirement of proof of faith-based activities does this mean that atheists wont be allowed to have children by artificial means?

And who would determine whether or not a couple has the right family lifestyle?

And here the right-wing nuts thought it would be the liberals who would intrude and limit their reproductive rights.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  00:45:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
We don't need a parent test. We need a few required parenting skills classes in high schools.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.