Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Why Religion Is Always Popular
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRe8

9 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  22:02:46  Show Profile  Visit CRe8's Homepage Send CRe8 a Private Message
It seems to me that the religions of man are always popular because people want to belong. Most folks just want someone to console them and say that they are forgiven and accepted. The reasons for superstition are as many as the number of people who have lived. Eons of behavioral, cultural and political interaction have shaped this idolatry. Also, a lack of brave originality seems to prevail in our race. We copy one another like parrots (hence the popularity of the mimics in religion and entertainment). So eager to follow and horrified to stand against the current insanity. I repsect those who think for themselves and kiss the totem pole goodbye. It is sometimes lonely there.

www.realityspoken.com

Dry_vby
Skeptic Friend

Australia
249 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  22:53:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dry_vby a Private Message

Hey, I aint kissin' no-ones totem.

"I'll go along with the charade
Until I can think my way out.
I know it was all a big joke
Whatever it was about."

Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

CRe8

9 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  23:01:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit CRe8's Homepage Send CRe8 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dry_vby

Hey, I aint kissin' no-ones totem.

agreed, no pole kissing here.

www.realityspoken.com
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2005 :  23:33:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
CRe8, do you think, for a moment, that perhaps you are oversimplifying things? Is there no individual creativity in personal religious observation? Is religious leadership always corrupt, or are many priests and rabbis the religious equivalent to social workers?

And does not the tendency to copy often benefit humankind? Do we not learn through imitation? Is not cohesive civilization built on compromise, as well as cooperation?

What is the point of this thread? Only to call religious people weak and mindless sheep?

As for loneliness, I am not lonely. There's 3 skeptic/atheist/humanist orgs in my town and a UU Church, plus an atheist meetup. There's a huge national movement. There's an even huger online community for nontheists. There's a long and proud history of doubters.

Religious people do not think of themselves as just "religious". They categorize themselves with their specific religion. They become a minority, just like we are a minority. Therefore, might a religious person not feel as lonely as an atheist?

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/07/2005 23:34:55
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  00:19:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CRe8

It seems to me that the religions of man are always popular because people want to belong. Most folks just want someone to console them and say that they are forgiven and accepted.
Yes, and others crave leadership, power and to control others.
That is why we have religions.

Welcome to SFN, CRe8!

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

CRe8

9 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2005 :  23:24:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit CRe8's Homepage Send CRe8 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox

CRe8, do you think, for a moment, that perhaps you are oversimplifying things? Is there no individual creativity in personal religious observation? Is religious leadership always corrupt, or are many priests and rabbis the religious equivalent to social workers?

And does not the tendency to copy often benefit humankind? Do we not learn through imitation? Is not cohesive civilization built on compromise, as well as cooperation?

What is the point of this thread? Only to call religious people weak and mindless sheep?

As for loneliness, I am not lonely. There's 3 skeptic/atheist/humanist orgs in my town and a UU Church, plus an atheist meetup. There's a huge national movement. There's an even huger online community for nontheists. There's a long and proud history of doubters.

Religious people do not think of themselves as just "religious". They categorize themselves with their specific religion. They become a minority, just like we are a minority. Therefore, might a religious person not feel as lonely as an atheist?

Good point. You are very informed.

www.realityspoken.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.