New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

irichc

2 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  13:00:13  Show Profile Send irichc a Private Message
It's quite obvious that we have somehow fallen in the mud from which we were created. It suffices to admit that a natural law exists to appreciate to what extent is the human kind fulfilling it without coaction -fear or hope- in general terms. We can find this law in the common ground of the main religions of the world. My wife, an ex-Buddhist and a Christian nowadays, explained me about the five precepts that every normal man has to observe in her previous creed: 1) don't kill life, 2) don't steal, 3) don't fornicate, 4) don't lie and 5) don't get drunk. The first four points depend on the last one, understood in a wide sense as keeping your consciousness against passion's attack. This and infinite more, that is to say, every natural moral rule -she added- can be summarized in Christian love.

However, if we redefine the first precept as "don't kill without a fair reason" (for instance, protecting an equal good that we cannot otherwise save), none of them is violated by beasts in most cases. That's admirable and should move us to reflection: they are not rational, but they can satisfy a rational law. Never the less, we do it backwards from them, since we break the moral law continuously, and we would do it more often if there was no law or no custom forcing us to reconsider the benefits of being wicked.

Certainly, the stupid creatures slavered by us never make a war, and by the way not usually a war to death, but only for defending themselves from imminent dangers, fight with other predators in order to survive or rival with members of the same species when trying to get a female for later reproduction. They don't love any food not coming from their work. There is no hypocrisy in their kind. They avoid vague sex and waste of energy produced by it. They despise every superfluous pleasure.

Thus, we can deduce that, knowing the existence of this eternal law that even beasts are experts with, and being aware of the man, the most rational creature walking on the Earth, infringing it as he was totally ignorant; in regard of the everlasting rule written in our heart that everyone can read, I say, we can infer that something obnubilates our intelligence and moral sense in a permanent way, preventing us of being faithful to it and naturally perfect.

We can find, I don't deny it, animals whose behaviour -regular or sporadic- seem to break natural principles. But they are just the exception confirming the rule, while a good man is an exception for the whole human race. If crime was something unusual and extraordinary, laws wouldn't be needed at all, because law -Latins said- doesn't care about the insignificant.

What is, then, ruining our understanding and making us be beneath wild animals? Might it be our free will? This is similar to blaming knife for the slash. It is not for the sake of our consciousness that we are falling in the sin, but despite of it. Our oppression, then, isn't in the will, as buddhist think; more likely it's previous to its stimulus. Theologians referred to the original sin when designating this shameful prostration. Islam rejects it, and this should be enough to prove this religion wrong. But it is not our commitment now.

Cheers.

Daniel.

Theological Miscellany (in Spanish):

http://www.miscelaneateologica.tk

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  13:49:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Welcome to SFN, irichc.
quote:
Originally posted by irichc
However, if we redefine the first precept as "don't kill without a fair reason" (for instance, protecting an equal good that we cannot otherwise save), none of them is violated by beasts in most cases. That's admirable and should move us to reflection: they are not rational, but they can satisfy a rational law.
Is killing a rival because you desire their resources (land, food sources, mates) a "fair reason?" If not, then animals kill all the time for unfair reasons. If so, then man is no different than animals in this respect, barring indivuals who are mentally diseased. ("Drunk" by your definitions.)

quote:
Certainly, the stupid creatures slavered by us never make a war, and by the way not usually a war to death...
What? You must not know much about animals. Have you never seen armies of ants engage one another in warfare? Chimpanzees will murder other troupes as well. Really, the examples of animal "murder" are endless.

quote:
They don't love any food not coming from their work.
How would you know? As far as I can see, horses "love" sugarcubes despite their inability to make them.

quote:
There is no hypocrisy in their kind.
Hypocrisy is defined as "a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not." There are clear examples of animals "feigning to be what one is not" including mimickry, trickery, camouflage, subterfuge, and dishonesty.

quote:
They avoid vague sex and waste of energy produced by it.
Not all species.

quote:
They despise every superfluous pleasure.
My dog does not despise having its belly rubbed so far as I can tell.

quote:
Thus, we can deduce that, knowing the existence of this eternal law that even beasts are experts with, and being aware of the man, the most rational creature walking on the Earth, infringing it as he was totally ignorant; in regard of the everlasting rule written in our heart that everyone can read, I say, we can infer that something obnubilates our intelligence and moral sense in a permanent way, preventing us of being faithful to it and naturally perfect.
You haven't "deduced" any such law, you've just decided to exclude many, many examples (not just exceptions) which do not conform to your preconceived notions of how thing should be.

quote:
What is, then, ruining our understanding and making us be beneath wild animals? Might it be our free will? This is similar to blaming knife for the slash. It is not for the sake of our consciousness that we are falling in the sin, but despite of it. Our oppression, then, isn't in the will, as buddhist think; more likely it's previous to its stimulus. Theologians referred to the original sin when designating this shameful prostration. Islam rejects it, and this should be enough to prove this religion wrong. But it is not our commitment now.
Lol. Yeah, the Christian concept of Original Sin certainly is the only reasonable explanation if the world worked the way you claim it does. Unfortunately for you (and all Christians), it doesn't.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/17/2005 15:17:06
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  14:38:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I'm curious about your definition of 'vague sex'. Care to elaborate?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  15:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Now, why did I know you'd ask that?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  15:13:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
A "real" natural law should not have exceptions.

Any definition of the natural law should include mechanisms that explain the seemingly (but not actual) exceptions.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  15:22:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Now, why did I know you'd ask that?

Because... you have very wrong ideas about my pure, virginal self?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 09/17/2005 15:29:02
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  15:41:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
They avoid vague sex and waste of energy produced by it.

Heh, have you ever seen toads spawning? Talk about a clusterfuck! This also applies to some boids such as anacondas. The females of this species are huge and when in season might be engulfed by a dozen or more of the smaller males, all trying desperatly to get lucky.

As most vertebrates breed seasonally, when the season comes, they breed with any other of the species that they can get to hold still for it.

Of course, there are exceptions; wolves, for example, have a firm, social hiarchy wherein only the pack's alpha male and female breed, and the whole pack helps to raise the offspring. Also, naked mole rats, having a hive society, the only breeders are the queen and a few, select males. All others in the colony are workers or soldiers, as steril as their honeybee and termite counterparts.

One must be very careful when making statements about reproduction strategies in nature...

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2005 :  17:40:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
What a shitty view of humanity.

while a good man is an exception for the whole human race. If crime was something unusual and extraordinary, laws wouldn't be needed at all, because law -Latins said- doesn't care about the insignificant.

I take issue with this claim. Most people commit far more good (acts intended to benefit the world or that increase happiness) than evil (acts intended to harm the world or than increase suffering). And while crimes are not extraordinary, we are not overwhelmed with criminals. If we released all the people who are sitting in prison cells in America who did not commit crimes against another persons's property or person (i.e. immigration and non-violent drug crimes) we'd be left with less than half of all inmates.

But that aside, you aren't basing your moral law on anything objective. There is a problem claiming that any moral rules are more than mere tendencies, because natural laws cannot be broken. And actually, breaking the moral laws that you have set out can benefit an individual in various circumstances, and that is all you need to explain why people do "bad" things.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 09/17/2005 17:42:30
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  19:47:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Irichc said
quote:
They [animals] avoid vague sex and waste of energy produced by it.

These animals seem to disagree with this conclusion.
quote:
The species [pygmy chimpazees] is best characterized as female-centered and egalitarian and as one that substitutes sex for aggression. Whereas in most other species sexual behavior is a fairly distinct category, in the bonobo it is part and parcel of social relations--and not just between males and females. Bonobos engage in sex in virtually every partner combination (although such contact among close family members may be suppressed).

quote:
Dolphins are indiscriminately amorous. They have sex with the opposite gender, the same
gender, and engage in masturbation with inanimate objects. Female dolphins have been
observed suctioning things (like plates) to their genital region when they are feeling amorous.
They also seem to enjoy buzzing on eachothers' slits using echolocation.

That last line really cracks me up. Seems like only the smartest animals are horn dogs.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2005 :  22:41:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I'll be surprised if that isn't a post and go. Seems like that preachy nonsense is pasted around on forums all the time. I suspect it is a personality defect that leads one to use forums as the pulpit one doesn't otherwise have.

Evil sinners repent!
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  01:34:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
My suspicions of a post and go are growing.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  02:16:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, it's another drive-by. He/she might come back, but I doubt it.

Sort'a brings up the question of: why bother? Seems to me that if one must make a statement, one should stick around to defend it, if defense it needs. Where's the sense, or indeed the fun, in running away?

I give bigbrain top marks for never chickening out, red herrings and so forth not withstanding.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  12:06:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I think some, (most?), of these guys think they are preaching to the masses. I don't think an intellectual discussion on the topic is part of the drill at all.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  12:52:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

I think some, (most?), of these guys think they are preaching to the masses. I don't think an intellectual discussion on the topic is part of the drill at all.

They believe any further discussion is unneccessary, since they already have it all figured out. All that's left to do is spread the message.

It's the spiritual equivalent of penis enlargement spam emails. "I hear you have a problem. Well, I have the solution! Act now!" They just throw it out there and hope maybe 2% of the people who stumble across it are pathetic enough grasp at such a straw.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/20/2005 13:18:15
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  13:06:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Probably true....

Boy howdy, do they ever come to the wrong place!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2005 :  20:41:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
That sounds earily like the stuff I heard from a hard-core vegetarian gal (not that vegie's a bad idea- probably healthy although I like burgers myself- she just went a little overboard on the philisophical side of it, in my opinion.) "We do bad things- why can't we be more like the animals?" Seems to me we do "bad things" because basically, we ARE animals.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds.