Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Removing Religious Timbers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRe8

9 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2005 :  21:26:51  Show Profile  Visit CRe8's Homepage Send CRe8 a Private Message
I have noticed many religious people making the claim that non-religious people are avoiding their particular religion because they are sinners. They say that these “sinners” reject their god in order to live an ungodly life. They go on to say that the believers are honestly trying to live a better, godly life. Let's look at these claims…and let's be fair.

I will start with the traditional family. First of all, the traditional family, i.e. mom, dad and the kids, is the minority. It was once a more accepted model in society but no longer. Extended family, step-parents and divorce are the norm in our culture. About 50% of all non-religious marriages end in divorce. About 50% of all religious marriages end in divorce. What is the cause of broken homes, extended families and step-parents? Religious and non-religious people are the EQUAL cause. Buck up, religious folks, and stop blaming other people. The traditional family is at best, a fantasy. Side note: I observe that it is the dual-parent families that are raising the most well adjusted children in our culture.

Let's look at sexual relationships. Extramarital sex is forbidden by many religions. Who is having all this extramarital sex? Now it's time to suggest a little discretion, a little honesty. I know and I think most of you know who's having sex in the world. If you are 16 years or older, you are most likely engaged in some kind of sexual activity. People have sex, period. This is a biological function of humans.

Statistically, human masturbation is almost universal. Many religious folks ignore this fact. Most of the people ignoring (and condemning) masturbation are well involved with it. Many religious people who perform these activities often deny they do it. This is a denial of reality and it is hypocrisy, plain and simple. Many religious and non-religious people are involved in extramarital sex, including masturbation. Yes, I am talking to you.

How about taxes? Who's paying taxes and who's evading them? Religious and non-religious people evade taxes. In fact, many religions set up non-profit organizations and then make MILLIONS! Check out the mega churches in America, Whoa! All those tithes, books, DVDs and weekend retreats with guest speakers, and it's all tax free! That, in my opinion, is totally unfair to us tax payers.

How about crime? Religious people love to boast a low crime rate amongst their troops. Well, who's bombing abortion clinics? Who begs for money on TV, takes the money from the poor and spends it deceitfully on luxury? Who flies jets into high rise buildings? Who repeatedly rapes and molests children at Church? Who butchers a million people with machetes in Africa? Who digs mass graves in Bosnia and fills them with men and boys? You guessed it: religious folks! In all fairness, non-religious people have done some of those things too.

Intentions are often used as an argument by religious people. They will say, I intend and aspire to live godly but I struggle with the flesh and commit “sins” regularly. You intended? What is the actual difference? THERE IS NONE. I can intend all day long to be a Big Mac but if I am not a hamburger then I am simply not a hamburger. Dreaming about something doesn't mean you have lived it. And if you have not lived it then please stop demanding THAT OTHERS SHOULD LIVE IT, you hypocrite. And if you have actually lived this godly life then you probably have enough wisdom to not condemn other people for not living just like you.

Often the only difference between many religious people and non-religious people is that the latter usually doesn't judge the other. Many religions erroneously train people to point fingers at others. Matt 7:4-5: "Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own

www.realityspoken.com

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  06:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
You could have just posted a link to your article, yes?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2005 :  13:05:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
I will start with the traditional family. First of all, the traditional family, i.e. mom, dad and the kids, is the minority. It was once a more accepted model in society but no longer.

I hardly think "acceptance" has anything to do with it. And speaking of tradition... what tradition? Tradition had parents, grandparents, and children being one family unit (living together under the same roof caring for each other) for a very long time.

Mom, Dad, and kids are the core family unit. And has been the norm for only recent history. Now it's changing since cultural and economic progress have reduced the need for larger units in order to support offspring.
Can you back up your claim that core families are in the minority, and can you qualify what cultures those numbers represent?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.