Our Skeptic Forums
 General Skepticism
 MIchael Crichton-AWESOME SPEECH
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CRe8

9 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  01:08:40  Show Profile  Visit CRe8's Homepage Send CRe8 a Private Message
Michael Crichton is very muh a free thinker, check out his speech to the Commonwealth Club:
http://realityspoken.com/

www.realityspoken.com

pfretzschner
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  08:14:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pfretzschner a Private Message
quote:
I can tell you that second hand smoke is not a health hazard to anyone and never was, and the EPA has always known it. I can tell you that the evidence for global warming is far weaker than its proponents would ever admit. I can tell you the percentage the US land area that is taken by urbanization, including cities and roads, is 5%. I can tell you that the Sahara desert is shrinking, and the total ice of Antarctica is increasing. I can tell you that a blue-ribbon panel in Science magazine concluded that there is no known technology that will enable us to halt the rise of carbon dioxide in the 21st century. Not wind, not solar, not even nuclear. The panel concluded a totally new technology-like nuclear fusion-was necessary, otherwise nothing could be done and in the meantime all efforts would be a waste of time. They said that when the UN IPCC reports stated alternative technologies existed that could control greenhouse gases, the UN was wrong.

I can tell you that Michael Crichton is full of shit.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  09:01:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Michael Crichton has to be one best free thinkers ever! He doesn't even let facts and logic get in his way.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  09:17:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
On Michael Crichton's web site there is a page describing a book he published in 1988, entitled Travels. I haven't read the book, but apparently it describes his travels and experiences with some of the world's interesting oddities and curiosities.
quote:
From Michael Crichton's Web Site: Travels...

Off Tahiti he swam through a school of sharks. In the highlands of New Guinea he moved among painted tribesmen for whom life is perpetual. At midnight in Africa he came eye to eye with an elephant. In the American desert he entered startling new realms of the paranormal.

This is a record of those travels - an exhilarating quest across the familiar and exotic frontiers of the outer world, a determined odyssey into the unfathomable, spiritual depths of the inner world. It is an adventure of risk and rejuvenation, terror and wonder.
And from that same web page, just so we understand his general mindset on at least this one issue...
quote:
Of all the things I wrote about [in Travels], spoon bending seems to stick in the rationalist throat. It just bugs people. I don't know why.

I don't know why spoon-bending occurs. I have no explanation. I can't describe it any better than I did in the book. But I have no doubt that it occurs. More than seeing adults bend spoons (they might be using brute force to do it, although if you believe that I suggest you try, with your bare hands, to bend a decent-weight spoon from the tip of the bowl back to the handle. I think you'd need a vise.)

But to see a little kid of 8 or 10 running around with a thick bar of aluminum that he has bent-not a lot, but enough so that if you roll it on a table, it doesn't roll flat-is to realize that whatever is going on, it's not brute force. I think that spoon bending is not "psychic" or bugga-bugga. It's something pretty normal, but we don't understand it. So we deny its existence.
This is hardly evidence that he's a free thinker, or much of a thinker at all in some cases. Over the past several years he seems to have taken a keen interest in environmentalist bashing. His politics are obviously right-wing. He likes to describe all environmentalists as having a sort of fundie religious approach to their position while his own conservative fundamentalism is exhibited by his perception of things being rather starkly black or white. When it comes to free thinking and reality checking, it looks like Michael Crichton sets a pretty poor example.
Go to Top of Page

pfretzschner
Skeptic Friend

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  14:05:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send pfretzschner a Private Message
He's no longer a free thinker (if he ever was), he's a propagandist. His latest opus is full of caricatured environmentalists who practically twirl their mustaches and tie maidens to train tracks while cackling maniacially. Why? Because they are E-vil, says Mr. Crichton. Furthermore, they don't believe a word they say; they just want everyone to think like they do. Why? They are E-vil!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  16:16:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
He's a good science fiction writer.

About the "lies" of the environmentalists (DDT and secondhand smoke and that stuff from the speech), how much of that is true I cannot say since there were no links to the actual articles in Science nor Nature. Sounds incredible though.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.