He is too much to believe!
He always gotta extra pack of cigarettes,
Rolled up in his tee shirt sleeve.

He gotta tattoo on his arm that say, 'Baby,'
He gotta another one that just say, 'Hey!'
And on Sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon,
In a '57 Chevorlet...!"
-- Jim Croce

Well, this Roy isn't much of a dirt track demon, but he is, of a certainty, too much to believe.
quote:

(AP) The man who lost his job as Alabama chief justice in a Ten Commandments controversy is running for governor.

Roy Moore became a hero to the Christian right when he refused to remove a monument of the Ten Commandments from the courthouse.

He announced today that he'll run for governor next year.

I don't know much about 'Bama politics (nor want too -- NC's are confusing enough), but I was rather thinking that he just might get elected. I seem to recall stating that some months ago, but now, what with the hurricanes and the pitiful, official responses to them things might have changed. I dunno.

Anyhow, y'all folks from AL, good luck with that. If he gets in, you're gonna need it.

Further thought: he is not all that old; might he regard the governor's mansion as a launching pad for national office, Flying Spagetti Monster should forbid?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  10:10:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
As an Alabamian, I have no doubt he will get elected assuming nothing "bad" is found out about him, etc.

Pretty damn pathetic.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  15:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

As an Alabamian, I have no doubt he will get elected assuming nothing "bad" is found out about him, etc.

Pretty damn pathetic.

Time for you to start digging for dirt.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  16:14:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
I could imagine Bush appointing/commanding Moore's
nappy ass to the Supreme Court.
;^)

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2005 :  17:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

I could imagine Bush appointing/commanding Moore's
nappy ass to the Supreme Court.
;^)

Lemme recycle/revise Johnny Carson's joke about Reagan/Bork- "Actually, there was another Roy ahead of him on the list, but they informed W that Roy Bean (the Hanging Judge) died a while back."

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2005 :  22:55:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Maybe the Ten Commandments Judge-in-Disgrace won't have a cakewalk into the governor's mansion after all.
quote:
Alabama Governor Will Seek Re-election

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 9, 2005
BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Oct. 8 (AP) - Gov. Bob Riley said Saturday that he would seek re-election, setting up a Republican primary against the state's ousted chief justice, Roy Moore.

Mr. Moore announced his plans to run for governor on Monday in Gadsden, where he first gained national attention for his legal fight over displaying a granite monument of the Ten Commandments in the state judicial building. He was dismissed from office after refusing to obey court rulings to remove the monument.

The two will meet in the Republican primary on June 6. State Senator Harri Anne Smith said she would decide in December whether to seek the nomination as well.

It'd be interesting (and fun) to see him get buried in a Republican primary and never even get to run. Dunno if it has a chance of happening that way, but he's suddenly getting some serious opposition. Could it be that some folks in AL don't approve of judges who can't abide by the law themselves?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  05:29:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I'm debating if I will vote in the Republican primary against Moore. In case you hadn't realized, I'm not a Republican.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  07:07:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

I'm debating if I will vote in the Republican primary against Moore. In case you hadn't realized, I'm not a Republican.

Hell, I'd switch parties just for the sublime pleasure of doing it.

Then, in the general election, I'd vote against every Republican in sight -- just for the sublime pleasure of doing it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  07:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
The thing here (not sure about other states) is that if you vote in one party's primary, you can't vote in the other (ah, the great 2 party system we have in this "democracy", gotta love it).

But I'm neither a Republican or Democrat so I think I will switch over and make sure that theocrat does not make it to the general election. While I have no kind words for our current governor Bob Riley (R), he is far better than putting that Whore of Babylon in an executive position.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.