Bush is pro-torture
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  08:54:07  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 - Defying the White House, the Senate overwhelmingly agreed Wednesday to regulate the detention, interrogation and treatment of prisoners held by the American military.

The measure ignited a fierce debate among many Senate Republicans and the White House, which threatened to veto a $440 billion military spending bill if the detention amendment was tacked on, saying it would bind the president's hands in wartime. Nonetheless, the measure passed, 90 to 9, with 46 Republicans, including Bill Frist of Tennessee, the majority leader, joining 43 Democrats and one independent in favor.

More than two dozen retired senior military officers, including Colin L. Powell and John M. Shalikashvili, two former chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, endorsed the amendment, which would ban use of "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" against anyone in United States government custody.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/06/politics/06detain.html

I guess vetoing this is part of the Bush "culture of life"???

Also, Sen. Frist was initially against this, but waffled in the end.

quote:
Mr. McCain and Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina offered the same proposal during the summer as the Senate was working on a bill setting Pentagon policy. But Mr. Frist scuttled that legislation in part because of White House opposition.

Kudos to Sen. McCain and Sen. Graham, both Republicans who led the fight to get this done.

quote:
Mr. McCain, who was a prisoner of war in the Vietnam War, added in closing Wednesday night: "Many of my comrades were subjected to very cruel, very inhumane and degrading treatment, a few of them even unto death. But every one of us - every single one of us - knew and took great strength from the belief that we were different from our enemies."

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Edited by - pleco on 10/06/2005 09:03:18

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:09:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Not surprizing after what Gonzales said prior to being made Attourney General. Gonzales was acting as White House counsel at the time.

He called the Geneva Convention irrelevant and quaint.

So the Senate led by men with real combat experience stepped forward to reign in the President. Not shocking, this has been brewing for quite a while. The measure passing with such a huge majority send the clear message to the President. "If you veto this, we will override it."

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:10:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Bush is pro-torture

This is new to you? heh

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  09:30:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
LOL not new, just stating the obvious - but now you have a vast majority in the Senate bucking the White House despite major pressure.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  23:24:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
What would you expect?

God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers
quote:
God would tell me, "George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan." And I did, and then God would tell me, "George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq …" And I did. And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, "Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East." And by God I'm gonna do it.'"
schiz·o·phre·ni·a
n.

1. Any of a group of psychotic disorders usually characterized by withdrawal from reality, illogical patterns of thinking, delusions, and hallucinations, and accompanied in varying degrees by other emotional, behavioral, or intellectual disturbances. Schizophrenia is associated with dopamine imbalances in the brain and defects of the frontal lobe and is caused by genetic, other biological, and psychosocial factors.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  00:09:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
From the Press briefing from yesterday.
quote:
Q Are you aware of the -- there's a BBC broadcast tonight that's quoting the Palestinian Prime Minister and Foreign Minister as saying that they were in a meeting with the President in June of '03, and there are some very detailed quotes here, saying that the President said to them, "God told me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan,' and I did," and then "God told me, 'George go and end the tyranny in the Iraq'" and so forth and so on?

MR. McCLELLAN: No, that's absurd. He's never made such comments.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.