Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 McCarthy was right? Communist threat lives?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

vrwc

47 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  12:30:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send vrwc a Private Message
Dear, dear Trish

This is degenerating into a chat site.Yes, I did notice that your ms was syntactically challenged ("not of some standards"). There are cures for that condition. Libraries abound with books on correct grammar.

Your restatement of my point is strange. I did not use the term "UnAmerican" nor does my posting imply it.The term "McCarthyism" is freely tossed about by the political left as a substitute for what you call "rational discussion". The myth of McCarthy is at some variance from history.I've cited a couple of good scources if you want to learn the history. vrwc
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  13:45:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
vrwc:
The myth of McCarthy is at some variance from history.I've cited a couple of good scources if you want to learn the history.

Rather then send us off to read all the books you have recommended, why don't you just explain the myth of Joe McCarthy. Reference those books if you wish. Since you seem think that the history that we have learned is possibly at variance with the truth, I think you should be able to put that problem into your own words and make an attempt at setting us straight on that.

Frankly, I would need something more than someone making a claim to get me to run off and do research on that claim. My time is limited.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  15:03:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I am old enough to remember McCarthy. He was an alcoholic blight on the public discourse and finally ended up in the disgrace he richly deserved.

I had no idea you were that old, filthy. I guess from your name I had a 20-30ish guy in mind. I'm old and McCarthy was before my time.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  15:05:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by vrwc

I see the topic of Jos. McCarthy is being revived. Main reason is the realization, on the left, that post boomer generations have no idea who they're talking about when they accuse conservatives of "McCarthyism". Since name-calling is a staple of leftist agrument they feel the need to revive the myth. I notice that Hollywood has obligingly concocted a movie to promote this.For a concise analysis of the McCarythy myth I recommend the coverage in Ann Coulter's TREASON.I'm now looking around for a used copy of Buckley and Bozell's book, I believe the title is MCCARTHY AND HIS ENEMIES.vrwc

Ann Coulter is hardly someone who is known for getting the facts right.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  15:54:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
For a concise analysis of the McCarythy myth I recommend the coverage in Ann Coulter's TREASON.

The little I know about Ann Coulter leaves me to think that she's morally corrupt. I would not trust a single word she has written.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  16:30:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Having been born in 1961, Ann Coulter is too young to remember McCarthy. And since "name-calling is a staple of" many of Coulter's agruments, anyone who points to Coulter as an authority while decrying name-calling in political discourse is really missing his/her own point.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  16:36:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:

Yes, I did notice that your ms was syntactically challenged ("not of some standards"). There are cures for that condition. Libraries abound with books on correct grammar.
And you need a book on how to correctly use punctuation. If you really feel the need to go down that road, your own posts should be A+ English-class material. They're not.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  16:45:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:

I am old enough to remember McCarthy. He was an alcoholic blight on the public discourse and finally ended up in the disgrace he richly deserved.

I had no idea you were that old, filthy. I guess from your name I had a 20-30ish guy in mind. I'm old and McCarthy was before my time.

I feel flattered....

I have managed to survive for some 66 years.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2005 :  21:14:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
...put that problem into your own words...

A few points here.

RE spelling/grammar etc. all here are obviously adequately literate... ("OFF")... it aint' none worse than my own stuff, anyways (ofay, bakk "ON" now... turned spelling/grammar-checking "OFF" just then) and I think we've detracted from an interesting topic. vrwc may have made this comment in jest, one can't tell in a posting.

I'm curious as to the meaning of vrwc's statements on "McCarthyism." I've known at least one highly-intelligent, very decent person who was an adult in that era who told me (circa 1990) that McCarthy had been right. It's easy to forget the circumstances of the day- Stalin, a paranoid and sociopathic figure regarded as the biggest mass-murderer of all time by many, enforced a state of domestic terror in the USSR and her satellites with a brutal fist. We had good reason to fear the Soviets in those times... Gorbachov he wasn't.

But I get the impression the notoriety of McCarthy is being referred to here, as opposed to a direct parallel to the circumstances... i.e. "The X Party states that the Y Party is lying to the American people to induce a state of paranoia to forward their cause." Assign X and Y at will; the claim seems to apply both ways. What I want to know is... why is this this the case as vrwc sees things? Both parties have probably "cornered the market" on lies and deception at various points in history... in what major ways have the Democrats gained a monopoly now? And, if the history of the McCarthy affair has been distorted (literally) please briefly explain how, vrwc. As I noted, you wouldn't be the first person of integrity who's told me such, and I'm open to the possibility "revisionist history" is in play, here, if the facts suggest it.

Again, I'm not especially knowledgeable in these areas, and maybe I can learn something from vrwc's perspective. In fact, I already have... I wouldn't have thought the term "McCarthyism" would be applied in such a way, but again, politics isn't one of my fortes.

Ron White
Edited by - ronnywhite on 11/06/2005 21:21:57
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  01:01:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
Your restatement of my point is strange. I did not use the term "UnAmerican" nor does my posting imply it.The term "McCarthyism" is freely tossed about by the political left as a substitute for what you call "rational discussion". The myth of McCarthy is at some variance from history.I've cited a couple of good scources if you want to learn the history. vrwc

Granted. I chose to use the term 'UnAmerican' in my attempt to understand your position. If I've misunderstood your position, my apologies. But as I am neither 'left' nor 'right', I used the term in an attempt to clarify my understanding of your position. As I recall, McCarthy ran the Committee on UnAmerican Activities. Which is the reason I chose that particular terminology. If my understanding of the McCarthy era is flawed, I'd prefer to hear your point of view. I have a test for which I am studying on Dec 3rd. My apologies, the test is more important to my future than reading a book you've recommended on this subject. As for Ann Coulter, I can have no respect for a woman who claims that I don't exist, an atheist in a foxhole. Find me a credible source. Give me your synopsis of the source and cite your source. My sources for McCarthy consist of my maternal grandparents and my father, in addition to what I learned in school as history. Political discussions with my grandmother were always interesting and enlightening. A parallel can be drawn between the concept of the Committee on UnAmerican Activities and those whose views are opposed to the Republican Party and President Bush. The Republican Party is something I can no longer understand. They are too deeply held in the grip of the Religious Right. This can be nothing but detrimental to the party and to our government.

I asked for rational discussion of the issue, not patronization. Can you discuss with me, your position with regard to your objections to comparison between McCarthyism and the current administration? If so, we have something to discuss. If not, I fail to see that your opinion is worth my time.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  03:51:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:

Communism might be on the wane, but McCarthyism is alive and well in the form of the stalking pervert, Bill O'Reilly.

Fred Barnes of Fox (Faux) News is another student of McCarthyism, though watered down. Instead of advancing his career by hunting commies, Barnes simply uses McCarthy's blunt technique of out and out lies to attack those he dislikes or is threatened by. (Such a Joe Wilson or the Democrats in general.)

In the recent movie "Good Night and Good Luck", actors portrayed historic CBS News figures of the early 1950s except for McCarthy, for whom the film makers simply used actual footage. The reason: if someone accurately portrayed McCarthy, modern audiences wouldn't believe it as the real McCarthy was so insanely over-the-top. He was a very evil man who built his ambitions by destroying the lives of innocent people.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

vrwc

47 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  13:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send vrwc a Private Message
Filthy

Sorry, I didn't intend to out your age as a response to my posting. Actually I'm the same vintage. We'd both be high school age at the time and, I submit, your impression may have been formed by the biased press reports of a media largely hostile to McCarthy. I don't propose to get into a rehash of this piece of history. My point is that there are two different prespectives of what transpired then, although the left wants to insist on only one, the McCarthy myth.

My contention, which I don't see challenged by the foregoing posts, is that the reason for this insistence is to create a polemical shortcut in which leftist participants can evade making a case by simply labeling their opponent as McCarthyite or engaging in McCarthyism.The opponent is automatically disqualified and his arguments can be sidestepped and ignored. It is a device to stymie honest debate.vrwc

Trish

Most unchivalrous of me to latch on to your allusion to unruly grammar. Sorry if it appeared patronizing , but you appeared to be frustrated by it by it; that you felt debate was not going in the direction you believe it should. I infer your desire is to debate, not the anti-communist battle of the 50's, but some activity of the Bush administration that you consider unfair or even unconstitutional. If so, framing it in terms of "McCarthyism" is not
going to address your concerns (which I'll be happy to discuss seperately).vrwc
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  14:07:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
vrwc

So your main concern is the dishonest tactics employed by the Democrats in attempting to bury legitimate Republican allegations which will cause their agenda damage, as I speculated. I'm interested in this. Please elaborate.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  17:54:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
vrwc:
My contention, which I don't see challenged by the foregoing posts, is that the reason for this insistence is to create a polemical shortcut in which leftist participants can evade making a case by simply labeling their opponent as McCarthyite or engaging in McCarthyism.The opponent is automatically disqualified and his arguments can be sidestepped and ignored. It is a device to stymie honest debate.
quote:
vrwc:
Since name-calling is a staple of leftist agrument they feel the need to revive the myth.

It's sort of like Republicans dismissing any idea from the left by calling whoever came up with the idea a liberal. When the right uses the word liberal it is usually as an ad hominem.

Please vrwc, don't make out like it's only people on the left who play that game…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

vrwc

47 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2005 :  20:14:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send vrwc a Private Message
RonnyWhite

You'll notice I didn't even allege dishonesty. My impression is that the political left, once self-described as the intellectual pinnacle, has now descended to substituting strawman allegations and simple name calling in place of discussing issues. Look back over the postings and note how many center on simple invective against Bush, against an author I cited and even an accusation that I'm a simple purveyor of "prepackaged" talking points. In each case I have invited the participants to bring up specific issues and debate them in open forum. You appear to be an interested observer who wants to watch political debate and draw your conclusions. Let's see how many will get down to issues. vrwc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.