New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  11:45:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

quote:
Originally posted by ASR

If philosophy is completely unrelated to the brain and evolution then why can't ants philosophy?

How do you know they can't?

Philosophy is a noun.
Philosophize is the verb.

Because in their billions of years in existence they have never done anything creative. Creative = Philosophy. Thanks for fixing my typo.

From the moon they looked down to see if we measured up
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  11:46:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

A neuron fires in the brain to create a thought, be it scientific or philosophical thought, thus evolution must have created philosophy.

Yes and no. Evolution did indeed create the mind that contemplates philosophy. Social evolution which is external to physical evolution can be looked at to dissect external influences on the outcome of the organism.

External things act on the product of your genetic makeup both before an egg is fertilized and continuing until the organism dies. So how does that have anything to do with physical evolution except as it involves selection of mates?
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  11:50:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ASR

If philosophy is completely unrelated to the brain and evolution then why can't ants philosophy?

Philosophy is a noun.

Because in their billions of years in existence they have never done anything creative. Creative = Philosophy. Thanks for fixing my typo.

Your definition of philosophy is wholly inadequate. And, who's to judge what is creative anyway? All you can really say is we don't see the same technological development in ant colonies. They don't have electrical lights. But they farm, ranch, build bridges, float on leaf rafts, act in a coordinated way and so on. How do you know what thought processes might be going on there that we just haven't detected yet?
Edited by - beskeptigal on 10/12/2005 11:51:18
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  11:56:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
ASR I am at a bit of a loss. It seems that you are saying that since ants have brains and people have brains they should think alike? I'm sure that is not what you mean, but what are you trying to say??

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:02:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

quote:
If computers reach a conclusion that it cannot understand it crashes.

[quote] A computer cannot understand anything. A computer is a machine. Computers crash for many reasons, NEVER because they don't understand something.

This has nothing to do with evolution. Stop Jumping around and simpley state what your problem with evolution is.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6914

What we have evolved to includes philosophy. To say that philosophy is not a part of our existence is absurd. A part of our brain is dedicated to philosophy. What I am saying is that if evolution gave us philosophy, which it must have since our genetic code contructs the philosophical brain, it is a strange coincidence that the result was the development of emotions. Scientists say that who we are as a person is a 50/50 mix of genetics and environment...science and philosophy. Evolution did all of this? The argument is that science functions through absolutes...philosophy is the opposite of that, how did science concieve something that by nature is impossible for it to understand?

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:08:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ASR

A neuron fires in the brain to create a thought, be it scientific or philosophical thought, thus evolution must have created philosophy.

Yes and no. Evolution did indeed create the mind that contemplates philosophy. Social evolution which is external to physical evolution can be looked at to dissect external influences on the outcome of the organism.

External things act on the product of your genetic makeup both before an egg is fertilized and continuing until the organism dies. So how does that have anything to do with physical evolution except as it involves selection of mates?

BINGO it doesn't. Thanks for making the point.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:09:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

Those things are completely unrelated. And your conclusion is flawed.

A neuron fires to create an impulse. That impulse may be a thought. It may be a state message on arm position. It may be a pain message. That evolution made the equipment does not follow that philosophy is a hardwired trait. Especially since philosophy is learned, not inherent.

This is a categorical error of division.

Your premise is logically flawed.

[/quote]

How do you know they don't?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:10:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
Scientists say that who we are as a person is a 50/50 mix of genetics and environment...science and philosophy. Evolution did all of this? The argument is that science functions through absolutes...philosophy is the opposite of that, how did science concieve something that by nature is impossible for it to understand?

Genetics is science and environment is philosophy? What the hell does that mean?

Science doesn't understand things. Science is not an entity. Science is a methodology for understanding the physical universe.

You have a very strange way of looking at things or at least a strange way of phrasing things...

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:14:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
ASR, you ask why ants don't ants have creative thought.
I ask, define creativity.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:15:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ASR

Philosophy is a noun.

Gross oversimplification.

Philosophy does not equate to creativity.

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:18:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
ASR this topic you started is called "My argument against evolution".
Then you state the following:
quote:
What we have evolved to includes philosophy. To say that philosophy is not a part of our existence is absurd.

I'm really trying to follow you but you are making so many twists and turns that you are actually arguing with yourself!

edited for spelling

Edited by - furshur on 10/12/2005 12:19:38
Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:18:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

The ability to conceive things that do not have a physical property. Money, democracy, God.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:24:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

quote:

The ability to conceive things that do not have a physical property. Money, democracy, God.

And since we lack any mechanism by which to communicate these very complex concepts in a two way manner with these beings, how do you know the animals don't possess these things?

"The humans said they were more advanced than dolphins because they had the atomic bomb and New York. The dolphins claimed they were more advanced than humans and listed the same items." -- Paraphrased Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:26:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

ASR this topic you start is called "My argument against evolution".
Then you state the following:
quote:
What we have evolved to includes philosophy. To say that philosophy is not a part of our existence is absurd.

I'm really trying to follow you but you are making so many twists and turns that you are actually arguing with yourself!

Someone argued that humans created philosophy, not evolution. Stating that evolution must have created it is a logical conundrum, given that it is not necessary for survival of the fittest. It has created murder, greed, despair,...all things that disrupt the natural equilibrium of evolution. Emotions put a kink in the works.

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  12:31:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:
Originally posted by ASR

quote:

And since we lack any mechanism by which to communicate these very complex concepts in a two way manner with these beings, how do you know the animals don't possess these things?

"The humans said they were more advanced than dolphins because they had the atomic bomb and New York. The dolphins claimed they were more advanced than humans and listed the same items." -- Paraphrased Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

You all argue with me that I have no evidence to support my claims, yet turn around and make philosophical arguments in the same manner to refute. Make up your mind.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.