Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  13:36:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
law of evolution's fittest

Huh? Where did you learn about ToE from?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  13:38:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

My slippers...they're unnecessary. Why don't they do anything unnecessary?

Are you suggesting your slippers evolved?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  13:48:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

all things that can be defined with yes or no i should say.

False dilemma.

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/distract/fd.htm

Hydrogen content of the Sun: Yes? No? When? 70%?

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  13:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ASR

Oh I recall how they mocked Freud...

1) You aren't Freud
2) Freud wasn't commenting on physical science

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  13:52:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
Ants: Dogs have fun, people have fun, cats have fun, dolphins have fun and chimps have fun. Have you ever seen an ant in your ant farm do anything but work?
As for my scientific evidence I offer up philosophy, which, if you do not believe in my theory, is a factor of evolution and thus a factor of science and is a scientific argument as a result. You MUST concede that evolution included philosophy somewhere along the line, otherwise we would not be able to think in that matter, it would be physically impossible. My argument is that emotions come from the mix of science and philosophy and that the odds of evolution accidentally creating emotions when prompted to develop philosophy so that we could survive more than other species is pretty far-fetched. I also argue that science, which is law dependent, could not have created something that is not law dependent, it would be outside of the scope of possibilities. I do not view science as an entity, I view science as all things that relate to the physical world, the physical world which functions through absolutes. The science brain also functions via absolutes. The first lifeform ever created had roots in science, but not philosophy, this is where my argument takes its stand.

From the moon they looked down to see if we measured up
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  13:54:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
'How does my computer work' is most definately a science question, yet it has no yes/no answer.
'Does science provide truth' is definately a philosophical question, the answer would be in the form of a yes or a no (with pages and pages of justification, but that is beside the point)

Please look up the concept of 'science' and 'philosophy' in an encyclopedia (www.wikipedia.org is generally reliable) and try to use the words in at least nearly the same way as everyone else.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Edited by - Subjectmatter on 10/12/2005 13:59:41
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  13:58:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
quote:
You MUST concede that evolution included philosophy somewhere along the line, otherwise we would not be able to think in that matter, it would be physically impossible.

That the necessary conditions for the act of philosophizing evolved does not neccessarily mean that the act itself evolved.

My hair is a product of evolution, as is my taste; in a certain sense. But the act of cutting my hair to suit my taste did not evolve. Philosophy is not a part of human anatomy and physiology, it is an aspect of our behaviour.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:08:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Subjectmatter

'How does my computer work' is most definately a science question, yet it has no yes/no answer.
'Does science provide truth' is definately a philosophical question, the answer would be in the form of a yes or a no (with pages and pages of justification, but that is beside the point)

Please look up the concept of 'science' and 'philosophy' in an encyclopedia (www.wikipedia.org is generally reliable) and try to use the words in at least nearly the same way as everyone else.

If you read my theory you would know that I redefined what is science and what is philosophy, e.g. "I think therefore I am" is really an answer to two questions, sciece "Do I exist?" and philosophy "How do I know I exist?" the answers are "yes, because I can think" thus "I think therefore I am" eureka. How does a computer work is not a science question, a science question would be "Does a computer work like this?" science is trial and error. Does science provide truth is not a philosophical question, you are seeking fact. To retrieve an emotion from that you would answer "yes" then ask "How do I know it provides truth" hope that clarifies.

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Subjectmatter

quote:
You MUST concede that evolution included philosophy somewhere along the line, otherwise we would not be able to think in that matter, it would be physically impossible.

That the necessary conditions for the act of philosophizing evolved does not neccessarily mean that the act itself evolved.

My hair is a product of evolution, as is my taste; in a certain sense. But the act of cutting my hair to suit my taste did not evolve. Philosophy is not a part of human anatomy and physiology, it is an aspect of our behaviour.

I can't believe you don't get it. OUR BRAIN CONTROLS EVERYTHING THIS IS FACT. We would not be able to think philosophy any more than a blade of grass could if we did not have that hardwired into our brains.

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:12:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

quote:
law of evolution's fittest

Huh? Where did you learn about ToE from?

Survival of the fittest, everything evolves to adapt to better suit its surroundings increasing its odds of survival.

And kil who said I was a hit and run was dead wrong.

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:
Originally posted by ASR

all things that can be defined with yes or no i should say.

False dilemma.

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/distract/fd.htm

Hydrogen content of the Sun: Yes? No? When? 70%?

Philosophy asks "Whats the hydrogen content of the sun?" philosophy answers "Around 70%" BUT is this TRUE? Science question "Is the hydrogen content of the sun 70%? answer: Yes"

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Oh well goody for you that you proved Kil wrong. Bravo.

Your definition of evolution is simplistic.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:17:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
think philosophically before someone corrects my typo

Go to Top of Page

ASR
Skeptic Friend

69 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:19:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ASR's Homepage Send ASR a Private Message
You are all having trouble comprehending scientific and philosophical thought processes. Like man had trouble believing that the earth could be round, you cannot understand what true science and true philosophy is. Don't be dumbasses I can't stand it.

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2005 :  14:23:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Okay, we are dumb. Now move along.

BTW, the earth is a sphere. Round is a two-dimensional attribute.

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.