Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  00:27:49  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I have read that a great many people have difficulty even finding the state they live in, much less placing the rest of them. I don't know the truth of that matter, but here's a test to see if SFN denizens fall into that sad catagory.

I fear I'm not as good as I'd thought. Scored an average of 41 miles off, mainly from not quite getting the placements exactiy Know where the stupid state is, just didn't nail it). You've got to be careful.

Have fun....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  01:38:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
19 mile error, 44 of 50 right on. It was just a bit hard to place the states in the right place when the map was blank but I knew approximately where they all were.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  02:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
52 miles 43 of 50, but then I'm not from the US.

Good one
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  06:49:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
42 perfect out of 50, Average error 102 miles
Score 84%

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  07:48:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
I did OK-- 94%, avg error of 10 mi, and just 255 seconds. Of course, it helps that I can draw the US west of the Mississippi freehand .

One way to make the game more difficult would be to remove states once you've placed them, or perhaps after you place 4 or 5 states, the earlier ones you put down dissapear...
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  07:49:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Meh, 52%. Then again, I've no coordination
Curiously, I went better in the Canadian version...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  08:32:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message
Wow, this is tough if you get a midwestern state without an agasnt state.

Score 90% Ave Err 15 miles Time 246 seconds.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  10:05:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
43 perfect, 30 miles average. Geography was never a strong point, and I would probably fail miserably on a world map.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  11:58:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
48 out of 50 average error 19 miles. My average error was hovering around 7-8 until I hit Delaware followed by New Hampshire in an empty northeast.
But I've always had trouble with those danged little bitty counties that call themselves states up in New England.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  12:33:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
46 out of 50. 92% 340 secs 17 mile ave error.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  14:15:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
You're all pretty good. I only got 60% with an average error of 359 miles.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  15:10:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
47 out of 50, avg error 7 miles. Pretty cool. I'll have to have the kids try it.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

woolytoad
Skeptic Friend

313 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  17:50:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send woolytoad a Private Message
45/50 90%, 46miles, 870sec. But I'm not from the US and I was surprised I could infer a lot of it from my TV knowledge. There were only, 10, 12 states I knew the exact location of. Who says TV rots your brain.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  18:26:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
Right, I've practised and managed to get 96% with 4 miles average error. Beat that.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  21:12:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
98% (49/50) average error 1 mile in 379 seconds.

I was off by 50 miles for Colorado.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2005 :  22:41:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
74 percent, 107 miles.......

Not bad for someone over the other side of the world....

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.