Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

markie
Skeptic Friend

Canada
356 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  22:18:34  Show Profile Send markie a Private Message

Great study, suggesting altruism in man but not in monkeys.

quote:
Study: Chimps don't care about friends

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 26 (UPI) -- University of California-Los Angeles scientists say helping others is apparently a uniquely human habit -- or, at least, not a habit shared by chimpanzees.

Joan Silk and colleagues conducted a behavioral study and found chimps are not interested in doing a good deed for a neighbor, even if it would cause them no inconvenience or harm.

The researchers presented captive chimpanzees with an apparatus that gave them a choice: a chimpanzee could serve only itself with food, or it could select an alternative option giving both it and another chimp the same food.

The scientists report the chimpanzees were no more likely to choose the second option, even though they could see it would help a friend at no cost to themselves.

The results suggest chimpanzees' actions are not motivated by other-regarding preferences. And the researchers said the lack of such consideration for other chimps was especially surprising since the chimpanzees used in the study had been living together in stable social groups for many years.

The study is detailed in this week's issue of the journal Nature.

Copyright 2005 by United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

Note: Dogs might sacrifice their lives for their masters, but I suppose that would be out of loyalty rather than altruism, strictly speaking.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  22:27:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Chimps are not monkeys.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

markie
Skeptic Friend

Canada
356 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  23:07:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send markie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

Chimps are not monkeys.
Right you are. I've had that lazy habit since childhood, lumping apes and monkeys together. Me bad.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  01:18:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
I can't say I'm too surprised by these results. Lately I've been contemplating how to tell the difference between my own personal desires and what others expect or want me to desire. (I've been thinking about these issues because as a studio art grad student I have critics comes into my personal studio on a weekly basis and comment on unfinished works; this is highly disruptive to the creative process, but I suppose it is supposed to be.) When it comes to moral inclinations and choices, the line between social expectations and personal desires can also grey. Really, being such a social animal, how can be possibly define who and what we are without others? So, given our intelligence - particularly our ability to conceptualize the motivations of others - it makes sense that altruism would evolve in humans.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  06:07:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Maybe the chimps were just indifferent to the cord they pulled since by pulling either they received the same reward. The study suggest that the chimps were aware of the difference, but I wonder. Perhaps if there were not a solid barrier between the chimps, the begging behavior of one may have resulted in a sharing behavior from the other. After all the other chimp was receiving food every time it pulled a cord.

Listening to NPR this morning others have observed younger chimps assisting older, arthritic, chimps climb by simply pushing them up to some perch.

I don't have any idea about where the journal Nature ranks in science pubs, it just seems like the researchers have more work to do.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  07:08:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
moakley:
I don't have any idea about where the journal Nature ranks in science pubs, it just seems like the researchers have more work to do.

The journal "Nature" is the real deal. And your probably right. More research is needed.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  09:35:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Well Benobos have been shown to care about and act on another benobos needs. I listented to a radio show on apes the other day and the expert was talking about benobos vs chimpanzees.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  10:37:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox
Really, being such a social animal, how can be possibly define who and what we are without others? So, given our intelligence - particularly our ability to conceptualize the motivations of others - it makes sense that altruism would evolve in humans.

Chimps are also social and intelligent, so why don't these results surprise you?

I wonder how long these chimps have been captive. The researchers say the chimps "had been living together in stable social groups for many years," but perhaps they've been "institutionalized." Perform this same experiment on a group of prison inmates who are in for life and then see if it produces results comparable to free and socially adjusted people.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/27/2005 10:38:53
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  11:26:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Nature ranks right above... Every other science journal on the planet, IMO.

Really Ive found its the reporters who pick up the stories who embellish one particular aspect of a study when in fact that was not the purpose of the report in the first place. Headline: Apes starve each other intentionally! etc.

Edit: Note the first line of the blurb you picked up, Im sure the report has no wording to suggest such a blanket statement.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 10/27/2005 11:27:54
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  11:40:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Doing some reading it seems that,

1) they were captive for 15 years
2) chimps do share in the wild

Perfectly reasonable to assume that altruism is learned from a community and not inherant. These chimps had no reason to develop such tendencies as they were never in need of food, it was always provided.

Do you think feral humans raised in captivity with no-social instruction or starvation concept would do different? Maybe but to compare the altuistic ideals of humans to captive apes is somewhat silly.

However, I dont feel this study is useless, its the Editors dissection of it that is useless and harmful.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  13:22:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Great study, suggesting altruism in man but not in monkeys

What proof do you have that humans are altruistic?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  14:07:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A little off topic, or maybe not, but bats of the genus Desmodus show a great deal of altruism.

These animals live in colonies and have a very high metabolism. They cannot afford to go two nights in succession without feeding. And from a bat's point of view, their feeding method, lapping blood from living amimals, is the most dangerous of all of the bat's. Due to their hosts stamping around rubbing against objects, and trying to swat them with their tails, there is no guarentee that an individual will feed at all. It may well return to the home cave hungry. Once home though, it will beg and far more often than not, another bat will regurgitate some of it's meal for it's starving colony mate, possibly placing itself in a like condition the following night.

A pity so few of us are as generous.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2005 :  22:52:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Cooperation isn't the same as altruism.

Almost all mammals demonstrate some degree of cooperation among members of the same species, for that matter there are plenty of animals out there who cooperate.

I would agree that humans can behave altruistically, but so do most mammals. Ever seen a mother bear protecting a cub? Regardless of the potential danger to themselves, most mother mammals will defend their young to the death.

markie seems to want to redefine the word altruism to mean something other that putting oneself in harms way for the benefit of another of your species.

Friendship is not altruism.

Just because these chimps didn't give a rat's ass about one another does not indicate a lack of altruism.

Get a mother chimp with a youngster, make her feel that you are threatening the safety of the young chimp... see if she doesn't try to take a piece out of you if she cant grab the young one and run.

And what about ants? Some ants will sacrifice themselves just to build a bridge, thus ensuring that there is a path for food to reach the nest. Seems pretty altruistic.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  05:03:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I've once seen in a TV show, where a cat mother literally ran into a house in fire to save her three kittens. She managed to successfully rescue all three, one at a time, but was badly burned in the process, as were the kittens. A vet took care of her and she tells the mother, once she was put together with the kittens, first touched all of them (as if to make sure they were alive) and only then relaxed.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  06:07:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I think it depends upon your definition of "altruism". Birds and mammals are well known for a parent defending it's young almost to the death, but I don't consider that as altruism. Rather, it's a very common, natural instinct of the mother and in some species, notably birds and canines, the father as well. However to show a generosity toward an unrelated adult of the species is something else again, and quite rare. Indeed, it's nonexistant in animals such as opossums, that tend to lead a solitary life.

The species advantage is in that as/if the offspring survives, the genes of the parents will continue on.

My vampire bat example above is one of those rare cases, and it too, has as much to do with the colony's welfare as it does with the individual's. Again, due to their hazardous (for the bat) feeding method, one or several bats might well return unfed. Sharing their meals with the less-fortunate others insures that the colony will prosper by maintaining it's numbers and in turn, the species benefits.

I'm sorry if I'm taking the romance outta this (like hell I am!), but here we have the explanation for dogs coming to the aid of their master/mistress' -- the "Timmy down the well" events we read about in purple prose now and then. To the dog, a dedicated pack animal, the person is a senior member of it's family (pack), and thus it's heroic behavior. Perhaps it has happened, but I've never heard (confirmed) of any dog coming to the aid of a stranger.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

markie
Skeptic Friend

Canada
356 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2005 :  08:48:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send markie a Private Message
Yeah much depends on how you define altruism. I've regarded it as kind, empathetic actions or feelings towards people who may be strangers, and the action results in no apparent material reward or recognition. Filthy's example of bats is good, but it could be similar to the case of 'drinking' buddies buying a bear for a friend who forgot his wallet at home, and more than that is crying about it :o

But I think it's cool the level of socialization among animals, from ant colonizies to primates picking lice (?) off their pals. Frankly I'm surprised by the study findings because I would have thought monkeys would bring food to their friends given the opportunity.

Edited by - markie on 11/01/2005 08:51:07
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.