New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2005 :  06:09:51  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
A reader submitted this to the paper. It basically repeats the same assertions that we have all said, but it never hurts to hear them expressed in another way.

But doesn't it feel like we are pounding our heads against a wall?

Science meets the challenge of proof; ID does not

Re: "Anti-ID stance is good old intolerance again," commentary, Oct. 18:

As David K. DeWolf and Randall Wegner prove once again, ID really stands for intellectual dishonesty. Not once do they deal with the central issue: There is absolutely nothing inherent in intelligent design that can be tested in an experimental atmosphere, and this is the core of scientific investigation.

They dig themselves further into a hole by not mentioning that the scientific establishment itself questions Darwinian theory all the time, by comparing new evidence to old and revising or enhancing the total body of knowledge. Science involves skepticism, yet through innumerable examples over more than a century, evolutionary theory has stood up to intense questioning. Intelligent design has not.

But the most damning part of their commentary - the one that points the finger back at them - is their citation of the Nobel Prize in medicine, awarded to scientists who originally "faced enormous opposition from the scientific establishment." Right. That's because there is, and should be, a high hurdle of proof necessary to establish the worth of a scientific idea. Barry Marshall and J. Robin Warren won not because they convinced local school boards to teach their idea to students but because, through rigorous experimentation, they demonstrated the validity of their theory (about the cause of ulcers) to the scientific community - something intelligent design has not done and is not able to do.

Convince the scientists first; then you earn the right to teach it to the students.

[Author's name withheld by me]

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds.