Astronomy
 A good website
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patrick Hennessey

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  17:26:15  Show Profile Send Patrick Hennessey a Private Message
If you don't feel like wading through the last argument, here is a website I posted earlier that takes a stab at the UFO phenomenon. The creator is named Bernard Haisch, a person with some impressive credentials who holds a doctorate in astronomy.

This is not a "pro-ufo" site. It is a thoughtful ananysis of the testimony, problems, theories, and science of the UFO phenomenon, articulated by someone with a keen grasp on science and the scientific method.

http://www.ufoskeptic.org/

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  18:13:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
From Bernard Haisch's Site...

The above is, of course, short of any kind of proof, but all in all I have now gotten to the point in my exposure to the subject at which I think it somewhat more likely than not that something not merely delusional, but real and important may be going on with regard to the UFO phenomenon. If so, I would like to discover what it is, or what the ensemble of phenomena are if it is a multiplicity of things. My estimation of the probable reality of the subject puts me somewhere between the majority rejectionist view of the mainstream scientific community and the majority accepting view of the general public (depending on how the issue is presented in opinion polls).
It looks like he's saying he sure would like to know what this UFO stuff is all about, but he doesn't. He claims there is no substantive evidence to suggest that there is any such thing as space aliens. He admits to having no more proof of alien visitors than anyone else, which amounts to a total of none. Seems like he's just reheating leftovers.
Go to Top of Page

Patrick Hennessey

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  15:34:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Patrick Hennessey a Private Message
The key phrase here is "real and important" phenomenon.
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  18:26:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Hennessey...

The key phrase here is "real and important" phenomenon.
Considering the context, that's hardly what most people would call a key phrase. Maybe you have a hard time communicating with people in some of these forums because, in at least some cases, you aren't especially good at understanding what you read. It might be easier if you take this a few words at a time...
quote:
Bernard Haisch said...

The above is, of course, short of any kind of proof, but all in all I have now gotten to the point in my exposure to the subject at which I think it somewhat more likely than not that something not merely delusional, but real and important may be going on with regard to the UFO phenomenon.
Bernard Haisch claims to lack any kind of proof that there is any substance to the UFO phenomenon. He thinks it is somewhat more likely than not that something real may be going on. His opinion, based on his belief and an admission of having no evidence, is that he ranks the possibility of these phenomenon being real and important just somewhat higher than them being merely delusional. The word "ambivalent" seems to be a fairly accurate way to describe Mr. Haisch's position.
quote:
Bernard Haisch said...

My estimation of the probable reality of the subject puts me somewhere between the majority rejectionist view of the mainstream scientific community and the majority accepting view of the general public.
am·biv·a·lent adj. 1: Characterized by a mixture of opposite feelings or attitudes. 2: Inconclusive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.