Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

LizW
Skeptic Friend

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  19:48:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send LizW a Private Message
From Big Papa Smurf:
quote:
I think Santa is unhealthy, children could enjoy the holidays just as much without being lied to daily.
This goes for the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy as well.

Well its our fantasy not theirs. Past mistakes are not excuses for present and future ones, anyway just my opinion, I dont have any kids or plan to in the future.

I think kids actually benefit from shared mythology. Characters like Santa and the Easter Bunny allow them to stretch their imaginations.

I know that with all the tv specials, and cards, and stories it seems like we spoon feed them the whole thing but if you notice even though the broad strokes remain the same every artist and ad man puts their own finishing touches on the details. Kids do the same. For every level headed kid who decides Santa cannot get to every kid's house in one night, there are 5 or 6 who think he may have a special button on his sleigh that lets him stop time.

Plus, let's not give up on one of the few things America still has that connects us to other countries. Kids learn that Santa has many names and does things differently depending on what country he is in, but he visits all over the world.

P.S. Big Papa Smurf, don't let the kid thing worry you. If you are meant to have a baby, the Stork will bring you one just like everyone else.

You learn something new every g****mn day!
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  20:09:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

[quote]...The whole Santa/Toothfairy/Easterbunny thing is pretty harmless.

Yes, but as children grow and read more history, they'll learn that earlier in his life, (as an army officer and statesman,) Santa was actually in command of Mexico's politics and army during such events as the Texan revolt of 1836 and the Mexican War of 1846........oh, ....er...um.....I'm thinking of a different Santa....sorry.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2005 :  20:27:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

This goes for the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy as well.
My Invisible Pink Unicorn agrees with you.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.