New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  08:18:00  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
....., the American Museum of Natural History Deserts Darwin!

Uh-huh, you read it right. Deserted him, the bastards did!
quote:
The exhibit on Charles Darwin at the American Museum of Natural History in NYC is not to be missed. I am a biologist by trade; you could say biology is my business. Yet I learned a great deal from this "popular" exhibition, and three hours passed before I could tear myself away. There is something in it for everyone, from high school kids to working scientists.

Toward the end, I came upon a video presentation, which took on the controversy of intelligent design, aka creationism, versus evolution. And there I found that both the Museum and a number of my fellow scientists had taken a pass on the controversy. One prominent biologist featured in the video reassured us that he is a man of faith and a man of science. He warned the creationists of the danger - to themselves - of filling in gaps in our understanding of the natural world with God. This, he lamented, posed a threat to the believer. For, if science later filled in those gaps with provable, natural explanations, one's faith could be put in jeopardy. I found this a peculiar argument. After all, should we not amend our views based on new facts? Or was this scientist saying: don't let the facts get in your way when it comes to God? In fact the intellectual history of the last five hundred years has been a chronicle of plucking God out of such gaps and inserting scientific explanations. Darwin's idea of natural selection itself was presaged by the rapidly developing science of geology, which had found that the earth was far older than the 6000 years calculated from the Bible. The earth's great age provided Darwin with the vast stretches of time required for natural selection to do its work.

Read on; it's really very good.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  18:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
That is very, very sad...

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Espritch
Skeptic Friend

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  20:57:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Espritch's Homepage Send Espritch a Private Message
Desertion or pragmatism? The exhibit supports Darwinian Evolution. The people who put it one knew that taking that position in itself was likely to get a lot of fundy knicker in a twist (wasn't this the same exhibit that couldn't find a single corporate sponser because the corporations are too gutless to be associated with the argument?). They probably figured they had to throw a bone to the more moderate Christians just so as not to alienate too much of the populace.

It is a sad commentary that they felt the need to do this, but I can see their point.
Edited by - Espritch on 12/03/2005 21:31:46
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.