Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  06:07:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco

No it's not thick, and Lewis himself said he didn't intend it to be a christian allegory.

Where did he say this? I found this from http://www.assistnews.net/Stories/s05100132.htm

quote:
He went on to say, “It is in one of his last letters (5 March 1961) to an older child, Anne, that Lewis most fully explains his intentions for the Chronicles of Narnia. Anne seems to have written Lewis about a scene from Chapter XVI, 'The Healing of Harms,' in The Silver Chair. Aslan, Eustace and Jill are in Aslan's Country and they have just witnessed the restoration of the dead King Caspian to full life and youthful vigor. Jill cannot understand what she has just seen, so Aslan explains that Caspian had died and so had he.”

Baehr then quotes from the letter from C. S. Lewis who wrote:

“What Aslan meant when he said he had died is, in one sense plain enough. Read the earlier book in this series called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and you will find the full story of how he was killed by the White Witch and came to life again. When you have read that, I think you will probably see that there is a deeper meaning behind it. The whole Narnian story is about Christ. That is to say, I asked myself 'Supposing that there really was a world like Narnia and supposing it had (like our world) gone wrong and supposing Christ wanted to go into that world and save it (as He did ours) what might have happened?' The stories are my answers. Since Narnia is a world of Talking Beasts, I thought He would become a Talking Beast there, as He became a man here. I pictured Him becoming a lion there because (a) the lion is supposed to be the king of beasts; (b) Christ is called 'The Lion of Judah' in the Bible; (c) I'd been having strange dreams about lions when I began writing the work. The whole series works out like this.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  06:35:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I read that in a local newspaper article a couple of weeks ago...I'll attempt to dig it back up.
It is irrelevant whether he meant to or not.

I thought he did an excellent job of explaining christianity in the book/movie: it is a fantasy and has no relation to the real world. :-)

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  08:32:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
Funny how religious people behave sometimes. Fantasy in general is condemened vehemently, just look at how they react to Potter and D&D. But, even though Narnia is almost up there with Tolkien as the foundation of modern fantasy, as soon as they smell a christian allegory they retract their claws.

This strikes me as very odd considering that most - if not all - fantasy is based on mythology to a greater or lesser extent. Christianity certainly hasn't been neglected in that aspect.

What is to be found in Potter which is so evil and is missing in Narnia? I'll allow that Narnia is much higher quality literature - of course the last time I read the books was at six years of age, so my judgement of them might be a little off... - but being poorly written doesn't make a text evil...

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  08:38:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
Maybe if Harry Potter were more jesus-like? For example, if he didn't have to use a wand, but just "breathe" to induce magic. It would also probably help if Harry Potter gave himself up for sacrifice to save someone else, and then magically resurrect.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2005 :  10:52:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Pat Robertson was just gushing today about it. But demanding they not change a word from the book. You'd think he believed it to be a second Bible text or something the way he was going on.

Saw the movie yesterday. Its good stuff. It doesn't preach at you, it doesn't slam you with the old christian "be saved or burn in hell" nonsense at all.

As for it being a christian allegory? Well, the christians would have to have been the first ones to come up with the idea of redemption and ressurection. Obviously they are not. The idea of a resurected hero who died to save something does not find its origin in christianity.

C.S. Lewis was a true believer, and when you create some work of art it is often said that you invest something of yourself into it, and that people get a glimpse of you when they look at your creation.

Is it really so strange that a devout christian would reflect some of that in his writings?

The only two negative comments I have about this movie are the Disnification(tm) and some editing issues where certain parts of the movie seemed to drag on for a minute or two longer than it should have. Oh, and Santa. The fat man makes an appearance, seemingly just for the purpose of letting the little girl get in a shot at her older siblings.

It was a good movie. If you ever read, and liked, the book you will probably like the movie.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.