Santorum Breaks Ties With Law Center
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  08:51:43  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Sen. Rick Santorum on Thursday withdrew his affiliation from the Christian-rights law center that defended a school district's policy mandating the teaching of "intelligent design."

Santorum, the Senate's No. 3 Republican who is facing a tough re-election challenge next year, earlier praised the Dover Area School District for "attempting to teach the controversy of evolution."

But the day after a federal judge ruled the district's policy on intelligent design unconstitutional, Santorum told The Philadelphia Inquirer he was troubled by testimony indicating religion motivated some board members to adopt the policy.

Santorum was on the advisory board of the Michigan-based Thomas More Law Center, which defended the district's policy. The law center describes its mission as defending the religious freedom of Christians.

"I thought the Thomas More Law Center made a huge mistake in taking this case and in pushing this case to the extent they did," Santorum said Wednesday. He said he would end his affiliation with the center.

Santorum said in a 2002 Washington Times op-ed article that intelligent design "is a legitimate scientific theory that should be taught in science classes."

But he said he meant that teachers should have freedom to mention intelligent design as part of the evolution debate - not be required to do so - and said his position hasn't changed.

Santorum said he disagreed with the Dover board's policy of mandating the teaching of intelligent design, rather than teaching the controversy surrounding evolution. Because of that, he said the case provided "a bad set of facts" to test whether theories other than evolution should be taught in science class.

http://www.forbes.com/business/energy/feeds/ap/2005/12/22/ap2411212.html

This is welcome news, even though it is just this slimeball trying to distance himself from the losing side as re-election comes nearer.

I'm still not clear on what the "controversy surrounding evolution" is?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Edited by - pleco on 12/23/2005 08:52:42

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:09:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Santorum said he disagreed with the Dover board's policy of mandating the teaching of intelligent design, rather than teaching the controversy surrounding evolution.

He's still an asshole. As if there is any actual controversy surrounding evolution......

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:14:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco:

I'm still not clear on what the "controversy surrounding evolution" is?

The controversy is that evolution is not mentioned in the bible, which is the inerrant word of almighty god who sent his only begotten son to die for our sins. According to the bible, which can't be wrong, man and all other creatures were formed by god exactly as you see them today. Therefore evolution is a lie put forth by the forces of satan.

Hope that clears things up for ya.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:15:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
As a PA resident, this is the most shallow, obvious ploy for Skippy to avoid election year controversy. Dick is getting creamed in the polls (which really mean nothing but I cling to any shred of hope) when compared to Bob Casey Jr. This punk dickhead needs to be removed from office ASAP. If you are a US citizen, donate to bobcaseyforpa.com because it is not just good for PA to get rid of Skippy Scumbag Santorum, but it is also good for America.

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:25:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck
The controversy is that evolution is not mentioned in the bible, which is the inerrant word of almighty god who sent his only begotten son to die for our sins. According to the bible, which can't be wrong, man and all other creatures were formed by god exactly as you see them today. Therefore evolution is a lie put forth by the forces of satan.

Hope that clears things up for ya.

The way I read it was that there was a controversy inside of evolutionary theory...maybe I just read too much into it.

Though it amazes me to no end that people still cling to the literal interpretation of the Old Testament (at least the parts which aren't on-the-face immoral, which are dismissed as needed with the whole "new covenant" concept). I just don't see the need for a literaly-true bible. Must be a cognitive dissonance problem - or that the power brokers of the evangelicals know that they lose power and money if they don't keep their flocks in line.

by Filthy
Edited by - pleco on 12/23/2005 09:26:45
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  09:53:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I read this in another news article:

quote:
Stephen Meyer, director of the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture, says "it would really be a stretch" to find it unconstitutional for "students to learn scientific criticism of Darwinian evolution."

He also says there's more to ID than attacking evolution. "We're building a very strong scientific research program," he says. "There are lots of scientists friendly to this position."

What is this "scientific research program" and who are the "lots of scientists"?

by Filthy
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  10:11:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The ID scientific research program is a wisp of smoke wrapped in vapors rith now, pleco. They haven't yet offered a theory upon which they might build a research program.

Oh, as far as controversies within evolutionary theory, there are plenty of them, and happen all the time (for example, the gradualism-vs.-punctuated-equillibria debates). But that's not at all what any IDCer means by the term "controversy." They're implying that the split between "evolution happens" scientists and "evolution is nonsense" scientists is far closer to 50-50 than it is to the actual 9999-1 ratio among biologists.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  10:18:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pleco:

The way I read it was that there was a controversy inside of evolutionary theory...maybe I just read too much into it.

The only controversies inside of evolutionary theory that I know of have more to do with mechanisms and details of how certain processes take place. The fact that evolution occurs is not in controversy. If there are complex features of organisms not yet explained, that is not a controversy, it is a question to be answered through research, not by giving up and positing a supernatural designer to explain what you can't or haven't yet figured out.

quote:
I read this in another news article:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Meyer, director of the Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture, says "it would really be a stretch" to find it unconstitutional for "students to learn scientific criticism of Darwinian evolution."

He also says there's more to ID than attacking evolution. "We're building a very strong scientific research program," he says. "There are lots of scientists friendly to this position."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this "scientific research program" and who are the "lots of scientists"?

I guess the "lots of scientists" would be Dembski, Behe, and Johnson. They don't really have a research program, they have a strategy to redefine science to include their religious beliefs.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:28:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
My understanding of the controversy on evolution is merely that quite a long time a go there was not total acceptance of evolution as leading to new species. It's been debunked over and over and then some. But the Bible clingers and the un-informed prefer to or mistakenly keep saying there is a controversy.

As to the "lots of scientists", it seems to me a few of those weren't geneticists, a few couldn't figure out the obvious flaws in Behe's crap, a few were like Behe wanting to fit the evidence to the theory, and none of them were named Steve.

Santorum takes the cake here for political double speak. Withdraw support from mandating teaching ID? Not what the case was. Troubled by the religious motivation of the board? Oh Pleeeeaaasseee! There isn't a smiley on the Internet that can roll its eyes big enough for that lie. And his position hasn't changed? Of course poor little Ricky was misunderstood but he is only now noticing that his direct quote wasn't what he meant to say.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 12/23/2005 12:30:30
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  21:37:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
There are hundreds more scientists with the first name Steve than there are scientists who support ID.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.