Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  12:55:47  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/spain_fire_2005.html

See videos in this page.

Why didn't this skyscraper crash like Twin Towers?

Fire and flames were bigger.

"Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit" (Flattery gets friends, truth hatred)
Publius Terentius Afer, "Terence", Roman dramatist

Fripp
SFN Regular

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  13:10:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fripp a Private Message
Are there man-made satellites in orbit around the Earth right now?

"What the hell is an Aluminum Falcon?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I thought my Dark Lord of the Sith could protect a small thermal exhaust port that's only 2-meters wide! That thing wasn't even fully paid off yet! You have any idea what this is going to do to my credit?!?!"

"What? Oh, oh, 'just rebuild it'? Oh, real [bleep]ing original. And who's gonna give me a loan, jackhole? You? You got an ATM on that torso LiteBrite?"
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  13:13:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Idiot. How do you know what is supposed to happen? After all, your sample for that happens to very tall buildings when large passenger airliners crash into them is, as far as I know, two. And in both instances, the buildings collapsed.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  13:30:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by bigbrain

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/spain_fire_2005.html

See videos in this page.

Why didn't this skyscraper crash like Twin Towers?

Fire and flames were bigger.

And you base this on........ what?

Lessee, major differences.

1) Structure was standard steel without stone facings

2) Structure was equipped with fire suppression devices that were operational

3) Structural integrity of floors were not comprimized due to a 200 ton aircraft slicing into it

4) The building was devoid of the office equipment in numbers and density that the WTC had. (It was abandoned) This means a higher intensity fire for a longer duration and increased weight to stress the floors.

5) The loss of structural integrity was due to loss of strength in the support collumns and loss of integrity due to the concentrated areas of fire.

6) This fire in Madrid has a uniform temperature across the entire fire and was not localized, therefore spreading out the structural distortions due to fire.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/0112/Eagar/Eagar-0112.html

I expect you to dismiss these significant differences with hand waving and "a fire is a fire" flawed logic.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

DR_C

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  18:38:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DR_C a Private Message
*YAWN*

Fundie: "I believe God created me in one day."
Bill: "Looks like he rushed it."

The late Bill Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  23:17:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
That's one post without an answer to the satellite question.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  00:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well gosh bigbrain, look at what you have done. I haven't really been following your threads because, well, I guess for the same reason I can't listen to the same comedy album over and over. Even good jokes get tired after repeated listening. Know what I mean? Anyhow, looks like you decided to challenge the administrators and moderators by announcing that you control your threads. Swift move pal. You finally located the button.

We have been mighty tolerant of your silliness for a very long time. Heck, we could have banned you for creating sockpuppet accounts alone. But we at SFN run a big-hearted site and we pride ourselves on being that way.

You have placed yourself on the business end of an ultimatum by Dave and if you have paid any attention at all to the goings on at this site, you should know by now that he isn't kidding.

I'm going to get out of the way now. I will watch with interest however…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  03:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Not an elasmobranch:

Moses Sole

The moses sole is a flatfish, related to the flounders, and is an inhabitant of the Red Sea. It is unique in that, when frightened, it produces a copious amount of substance highly noxious to sharks. If a shark should actually attempt to eat the moses sloe, the repelent will enter it's blood stream through the capillaries in it's gills, and begin breaking down red blood cells. A big dose of it can kill the shark.

I have read of efforts to reproduce this natural sharkbane, as it were, in the lab but apparently they haven't met with any success. I suspect that, as sharks represent such remote threat to humans, there isn't much pressure to develope and market it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  06:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
Originally posted by Dave W.

That's one post without an answer to the satellite question.

IT'S OFF TOPIC

Edited by - bigbrain on 12/24/2005 06:18:35
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  06:23:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
That's two.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  06:41:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Don't-tread-on-me elasmobranch:

Stingaree

One of my more vivid memories is of stepping on one of these. They possess from one to three spines on the first 1/3 of their tails, and when stepped on, the frightened animal will swing that tail as hard and repeatedly as it can. The spines are encased in a venomous sheath which remains behind in the wound and, while not life-threatenung, is extrodinarly painful.

It is a favorite prey of shallow water sharks, who often show spine wounds and sometimes even are found with the torn-off spines still in their faces.

So, a word of advice to all naked beach apes: when you wade in the shallows, shuffle your feet, and let the stingaree know you are coming. He'll quickly get out of your way.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/24/2005 07:27:59
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  07:52:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
Yea, those jellyfish sound nasty, too. I read way over 90% (can't recall the exact figure) of ocean species are venomous... I guess since He made things that way, if God meant fer Man to swim, He woulda' gave us gills. Maybe if He meant fer us to walk on beaches He'd have given us hoofs instead of feet.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  07:52:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

So, a word of advice to all naked beach apes: when you wade in the shallows, shuffle your feet, and let the stingaree know you are coming. He'll quickly get out of your way.

The shallows off of the beaches of Mullet Key Park south of St. Petersburg FL teemed with these. When wading at low tide, it was quite eerie to watch the sandy bottom suddenly lift slightly and move away from you in all directions as 20-30 of them shifted from your path.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

bigbrain
BANNED

409 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  08:19:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bigbrain a Private Message
[red]Originally posted by filthy

STOP IT, IMBECILE

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  08:20:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tw101356

quote:
Originally posted by filthy

The shallows off of the beaches of Mullet Key Park south of St. Petersburg FL teemed with these. When wading at low tide, it was quite eerie to watch the sandy bottom suddenly lift slightly and move away from you in all directions as 20-30 of them shifted from your path.

I too, have seen that. It's a remarkable sight, especally during the stingaree love season. Then, they are everywhere, buried in the sand with only their eyes showing. They can dig in in an instant by fluttering their wings and throwing the sand over themselves as they make the depression deeper. This form of digging is common in most species of rays and skates, and in some sharks such as the angel shark.

The about 90% figure for hot jellies is a pretty decent one. Further, these animals carry the hottest venom on earth. As an aside, some nudibranchs (sea slugs), especally pelagic species, feed on jellies and keep the stinging cells for their own defense.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  08:22:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
My personal favorite:

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.