Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Social Issues
 A "brain" in dish flies simulated fighter jet?!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2005 :  22:46:39  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message
That's what they're talking about here

While this may sound good for those worried about stuff like Parkinson's and whatnot, what do you think the ramifications of this kind of science will be?

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  14:50:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
An artificial interface and "brain" that can control an artificial body-part?

A friend of mine lost both his arms in an accident a few years ago. I'd bet he'd be extatic over the idea of having an artificial arm being able to operate a fork or a spoon when eating, or being able to wipe his own ass again. (And no, I haven't mustered up the courage to ask him how he manages that today...)

I'm just amazed he copes today, I don't think I'd have the courage to live under the same circumstances.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  15:03:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
They're trying to use this to strengthen the connection between artificial limbs and the brain. The coordination between brain-artificial member is still unsteady, or so I'm told.

Mab, he probably has someone do it for him. I do.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  15:51:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Someone had to do it.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  17:28:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Someone had to do it.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

dodo

Turkey
5 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  08:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dodo a Private Message
well that sounds like a revolution on the other hand there are still some questions waiting to be answered basicly what if the artificial body parts overloads the brain
or
how efficient and general they can be used
and if we use the artificial intelligence; can they control us instead of us controlling them
Edited by - dodo on 12/27/2005 08:10:29
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2005 :  08:15:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

Someone had to do it.

We are Microsoft. Your culture will be assimilated to service us. Resistance is futile.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  16:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I've been thinking about this report and wondering if there is evidence brain waves contain more data than just 'fingerprints'. So can the brainwave controls do more than on or off?
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2006 :  16:30:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Can you imagine growing brain computers?
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  03:52:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Can you imagine growing brain computers?

The largest computers consists of a number of processors interlinked with neural nets, so starting there, computers are already evolving toward more brain-like mode of action. Just look at the PC: the Pentium4 processor employes "Hyperthread" technology which is basically two CPU-cores working in parallel, and beside it we have the GPU on the graphics board, and the sound processor on the soundcard (or the motherboard). Already we have tendencies of de-centralizing of processing power.

Once significant progress is made in making biological processors, the decentralization of computing power will become even more pronounced.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
...the Pentium4 processor employes "Hyperthread" technology which is basically two CPU-cores working in parallel...

I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to two CPU-cores working in parallel. Hyper-threading just allows another process to use the cpu if the one currently using it stalls for whatever reason. One reason for a stall would be to get data from ram or the hard drive.

It's still only the speed of one processor, but there just isn't as much down time.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  17:37:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
...the Pentium4 processor employes "Hyperthread" technology which is basically two CPU-cores working in parallel...

I wouldn't say it's anywhere close to two CPU-cores working in parallel. Hyper-threading just allows another process to use the cpu if the one currently using it stalls for whatever reason. One reason for a stall would be to get data from ram or the hard drive.

It's still only the speed of one processor, but there just isn't as much down time.

It's two threads, not just processes that can run in parallel. Programs that are compiled as multi-threads can utilize both cores in order to get the work done faster.
Some programs do, some don't. The DivX encoding program is single-thread, but I'm pretty sure Adobe Photoshop utilizes both cores for processing. Some games also do.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  18:44:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Sorry, I meant thread and not process.

Hyper-threading has nothing to do with multiple cores, it can be run on a single core processor. Two threads seem to run in parallel, but in fact the processor is only switching back and forth between the threads when one has downtime.

From Wikipedia:

quote:
Hyper-Threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processor—those that store the architectural state—but not duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a Hyper-Threading equipped processor to pretend to be two "logical" processors to the host operating system, allowing the operating system to schedule two threads or processes simultaneously. Where execution resources in a non-Hyper-Threading capable processor are not used by the current task, and especially when the processor is stalled, a Hyper-Threading equipped processor may use those execution resources to execute the other scheduled task.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2006 :  05:12:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Then again, we've babies like this running around.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.