Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  16:15:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Examine Evidence
Conclude Genesis

Would that be Genesis 1 or Genesis 2, John?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  16:57:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message
The first 11 chapters as a whole.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  17:00:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Don't G1 & G2 contradict each other though?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2006 :  19:02:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
From an paleoanthropolical stand point what do you feel is the basis of accepting that we can from a protoape some 10 million years ago?

Common endogenous retroviral insertions between all primates (yes, humans are primates). These insertions clearly show the divergence of species from common ancestry. Humans included.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section4.html#retroviruses

The fusion event found in human chromosome 2.

http://www.evolutionpages.com/chromosome_2.htm

The number of hominid species existing before the appearance of H. sapiens and the clear morphological similarities and transitions.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/species.html

And so on and so on.

You do understand that if you expect to overturn evolutionary theory, or even make a plausible dent in it, you will need to provide alternate (and evidenced) explanations for these things and many many others. You have your work cut out for you.

Seriously, I'd be interested to hear your take on the fusion event clearly seen in human chromosome 2 and the ERVs. That is incontrovertable evidence of common ancestry between humans and the other primates.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  21:49:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
No response?

Ok, it is the weekend....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  22:35:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude...

No response?

Ok, it is the weekend....
Well the current theory of evolution has been in fairly constant development for at least a couple hundred years. It has been built by hundreds of thousands of researchers, scientists, and academicians in various fields such as geology, physics, chemistry, cellular and environmental biology, atmospheric and oceanic sciences, and several others. It has involved literally millions of hours of research, experimentation, documentation, analysis, and revision. It couldn't have been done without acquiring, equipping, and maintaining millions of square feet of laboratories, museums, storage and research facilities, and educational institutions. Billions of dollars have been spent on all this to get where we are today with the theory of evolution.

Remember, in order to "examine evidence and conclude genesis", Bibleland is going to have to come up with an alternative, and better supported explanation for those billions of pieces of data and millions of pages of documentation. He's going to have to do research and analysis on a nearly unfathomable quantity of material to substantiate his preconceived conclusion in a better, more scientifically sound way than that which already supports the contemporary scientific position on evolution.

If he expects to "conclude genesis" within the lifetimes of himself, his children, grand children, and great grandchildren, he's going to need to acquire hundreds of billions of dollars and recruit the assistance of millions of highly educated and experienced people. That's quite an undertaking. He can't afford the luxury of taking a weekend off. Hell, if he has any reasonable expectations of achieving his goal he can't afford the luxury of dropping in here for five minutes to let us know how much progress he's making. He's got work to do!
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  22:39:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
With god on their side, it shouldn't be problem, right?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  22:50:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well, silence is usually what I get when I ask some religious person to explain ERVs and the chromosome 2 fusion.

Those two things are fairly definitive proof for common descent, which is predicted by ToE.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2006 :  22:56:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I suspect that it's not the weekend or the "typical" silence, Dude, but instead that John doesn't want to give us too much of a preview of what will be unveiled on January 22.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2006 :  06:23:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

I suspect that it's not the weekend or the "typical" silence, Dude, but instead that John doesn't want to give us too much of a preview of what will be unveiled on January 22.

Indeed. I for one, look forward to the unveiling....

I boned out a couple of pork shoulders yesterday, ground them into sausage meat, and now my humble lair is rendolent with the pungence of sage, thyme, garlic, onion, jalapeno chilis, and other good stuff. Today, now that the spices have had time to set in, I'll stuff it into hog cases. I shall make a lovely, little sausage named Baldrick, and we'll all live happily ever after.....

I like threads such as this one because they give me space to post about interesting items found in the natural world without drifting too far off topic (as if "topic" has ever stopped anyone on these boards from posting whatever they damned well please ).

I find cynobacteria fasinating.

quote:
Cyanobacteria are aquatic and photosynthetic, that is, they live in the water, and can manufacture their own food. Because they are bacteria, they are quite small and usually unicellular, though they often grow in colonies large enough to see. They have the distinction of being the oldest known fossils, more than 3.5 billion years old, in fact! It may surprise you then to know that the cyanobacteria are still around; they are one of the largest and most important groups of bacteria on earth.

Many Proterozoic oil deposits are attributed to the activity of cyanobacteria. They are also important providers of nitrogen fertilizer in the cultivation of rice and beans. The cyanobacteria have also been tremendously important in shaping the course of evolution and ecological change throughout earth's history. The oxygen atmosphere that we depend on was generated by numerous cyanobacteria during the Archaean and Proterozoic Eras. Before that time, the atmosphere had a very different chemistry, unsuitable for life as we know it today.

The other great contribution of the cyanobacteria is the origin of plants. The chloroplast with which plants make food for themselves is actually a cyanobacterium living within the plant's cells. Sometime in the late Proterozoic, or in the early Cambrian, cyanobacteria began to take up residence within certain eukaryote cells, making food for the eukaryote host in return for a home. This event is known as endosymbiosis, and is also the origin of the eukaryotic mitochondrion.

Because they are photosynthetic and aquatic, cyanobacteria are often called "blue-green algae". This name is convenient for talking about organisms in the water that make their own food, but does not reflect any relationship between the cyanobacteria and other organisms called algae. Cyanobacteria are relatives of the bacteria, not eukaryotes, and it is only the chloroplast in eukaryotic algae to which the cyanobacteria are related.

Lots of good links in this brief article.

They formed the stromatolites some 3.5 (some say longer) billion years ago, the oldest fossils known, and were the germinated seeds for all current and past life on this planet. A sort of a mindless, organic Creator, if you will.

Open the links and enjoy....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  01:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bibleland

From an paleoanthropolical stand point what do you feel is the basis of accepting that we can from a protoape some 10 million years ago?
Intellectual honesty is also needed. Something that ID lawyer Case Luskin is completely without.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  12:46:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
John Adolfi here from Bibleland Studios. I thought to stop by just to let you know that we are opening a new web site www.lostworldmuseum.com and museum. Come take a peek at the teaser page and I hope to see you there after the Jan. 22, 2006 opening.

It's well past Jan 22, and there doesn't seem to be much evidence either for genesis or against evolution, over at the Lost World Museum. Just John's blog telling how he came up with this idea (he's up to the year 2000 so far) and some links to Bibleland Studios and some other reality challenged site. Gee, and I had such high hopes!

T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  17:49:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by R.Wreck
Gee, and I had such high hopes!

You didn't really mean that, did you?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Bibleland
Skeptic Friend

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  04:35:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Bibleland's Homepage Send Bibleland a Private Message
Keep your eye out. I'm not puffing. In the coming months you will see things you've never seen before. Stranger than Fiction. I invite you all to get aquainted with myself and the museum in preperation. My audience is NOT the christian community, it's YOU. Your opinions matter more to me than the Churches. Good, Bad or indifferent, No matter.
Please take a look and sign up on the blog so you won't miss a post. www.lostworldmuseum.com
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2006 :  05:17:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
Bibleland, I see you're claiming "the most accurate painting of Noah's Ark ever made created" (sic)

All things considered, isn't that kind of like claiming to know the exact bra-size of the tooth fairy? I've subscribed to your blog notification list anyway, it must be my masochistic streak.

If "we" truly are your target audience, content really ought to take precedence over aesthetics. And then there's that annoying little thing called evidence...

John's just this guy, you know.
Edited by - JohnOAS on 04/04/2006 05:18:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.