Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Community Forums
 General Discussion
 Next "Face of Mars"-type of controversy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  12:20:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Startling new evidence just in!:

Our NubiWan's picture closely matches the Alberta Indian! They appear to be fraternal twins. What are the mysterious implications?

Don't stop to think, just look!:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Subjectmatter
Skeptic Friend

173 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  12:30:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Subjectmatter a Private Message
NubiWan's indian has no iPod!

They cannot be related in any way, shape, or form.

Sibling Atom Bomb of Couteous Debate
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  12:36:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
But I calculate a 82% correspondence in the images, I suspect the Leprechauns are fidgeting with the reality dial again.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Edited by - BigPapaSmurf on 01/24/2006 12:36:46
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  15:29:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
OK, the folks at BAUT think Google Earth was hacked and this image is false. Do we have any other aerial pics of the area backing up the real image vs hacked fake? Anyone know the source of this Google image and where else it might be accessed?

Halfmoon, the chin doesn't match.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/24/2006 15:30:31
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  15:48:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
LOL - I liked that movie too.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  16:58:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
OK, the folks at BAUT think Google Earth was hacked and this image is false. Do we have any other aerial pics of the area backing up the real image vs hacked fake? Anyone know the source of this Google image and where else it might be accessed?

Ah, skeptics! To me, to "conclude" that this image is hacked and "false" would be a somewhat more "extraordinary claim" than the simple observation that this random patch of Canadian badlands happens to resemble a human being, when seen from above. But, sigh, fair is fair, and they are right to question.

First, the feature is at: 50" 00' 36.21" N, 110" 06' 52.18" W. I hope people will try, as I will am trying, to find it using other imaging.

If it's a fake, I point out that someone has ALSO faked Google Earth's elevation data as well, as the incised contours of is feature perfectly match the aerial image! Our Randy's angled shot (in his posting above) of the feature shows this:

Also, using an angled view while orbiting about the feature using the GE application shows the elevation is consistent with the image..

Okay, in Google Earth, the image source for the Alberta Indian area is shown as "(c) 2006 DigitalGlobe," when observed from an elevation of about 5500 feet. (GE uses various image sources according to altitude and choice of best available imaging for an area.)

Google Maps shows the same overhead image of the area:

I am researching for other images, as I again hope others will do, but I think my observation about the elevation data may put some of the burden of proof back in the BAUT people's court in the meantime.

quote:
Halfmoon, the chin doesn't match

Seeing that one coming, I only claimed "fraternal" twins. ; )

BTW, activity over at the Google Earth forum is really picking up steam about the Alberta Indian.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/24/2006 17:20:34
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  17:58:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Okay, from Microsoft's TerraServer:

You can just make out the Alberta Indian in the center of the image area. Seems to be from the same old DigitalGlobe satellite image, but with TerraServer these days, you only get this low-rez image, complete with irritating "watermarks" overlaid, if you are not a paying customer.

One thing this proves to me, though: If the sat image was faked, it wasn't done at Google, as others are using the same data.

I've just about given up further search. Seems Canada is not well mapped. (I'm reminded of the "Canadian" song in South Park's Wizard of Oz-style spoof, "Follow the Only Road.") Hey, hosers, I'm just kidding, eh?

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/24/2006 18:24:07
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  18:49:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
beskeptigal warned:
quote:
OK, the folks at BAUT think Google Earth was hacked and this image is false.

How can I find that thread over there? I've been looking, can't find it yet.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  21:25:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Oh, never mind, beskeptigal. I found it, and posted there:

http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=37254

Thanks for taking the matter over there. It can't hurt for skeptics to be on top of these things, for once just ahead of the loonies, who I predict will soon be coming out of the woodwork.

Meanwhile, even as we debunk extraordinary claims about such stuff, we skeptics should be able to enjoy our sense of wonder toward such oddities, and not let this emotion be the sole property of the weirdos.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/24/2006 22:18:53
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2006 :  21:00:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I've just posted the following over at BAUT. Cut-and-paste being so easy, I thought I'd share it here:

Here are some irrelevant notes of possible interest (i.e., ramble warning!):

According to Wikipedia's entry on Medicine Hat (now a city of about 52,000 souls, just west of the "Alberta Indian"), the town's name derives from a Native American legend about a shaman's headdress, lost during a battle between the Cree and the Blackfeet tribes.

When the local townsfolk were considering changing their town name to "something more 'nomal,'" British writer Rudyard Kipling, who happened to be visiting, convinced them to keep the original name because it would always be unique. Kipling also praised the town for being on the site of huge gas deposits, saying, "Medicine Hat was born lucky...You people in this district seem to have all Hell for a basement."

"Hell for a Basement" later became the title of a song, recorded by the rock band, Big Sugar.

Wikipedia adds, "Medicine Hat residents are often referred to as 'Hatters'."

Wikipedia's article on Alberta says: "In southeastern Alberta, where the Red Deer River traverses the flat prairie and farmland, are the Alberta badlands with deep gorges and striking landforms. Dinosaur Provincial Park, near Drumheller, Alberta, showcases the badlands terrain, desert flora, and remnants from Alberta's past when dinosaurs roamed the then lush landscape."

On a more humorous note, there's this link... :

http://www.answersingenesis.org/tj/v14/i1/landforms.asp

... to a page on the infamous Creationist "Answers in Genesis" site, where, in a confused ramble, they apparently attempt to tie the Biblical Flood with "... the Cypress Hills erosion surface in southeast Alberta and southwest Saskatchewan ..."

The Cypress Hills is an eroded area directly south of the "Alberta Indian." From other things I've recently read while Web-researching the general area, it appears that many of the local landforms were created by catastrophic flooding, when huge lakes broke through ice dams at the end of the last Ice Age, and immense torrents suddenly roared toward the Pacific or Gulf of Mexico.

Go to Top of Page

supergranny

4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  07:57:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send supergranny a Private Message
This link has a picture from 1951 of the same area.
Go to Top of Page

supergranny

4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  07:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send supergranny a Private Message
http://www.radio.cbc.ca/programs/asithappens/ sorry forgot the link
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  09:17:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by supergranny

http://www.radio.cbc.ca/programs/asithappens/ sorry forgot the link

Supergranny! Wow! Welcome to SFN, and thank you for finding us here! Are you really the same Supergranny as the internationally famous, but elusive, original discoverer of that remarkable aerial image? What a wondeful find! Your nickname (and even mine, due to my comments in the Google Earth forum thread you started) have been mentioned as far away as in an Australian newspaper. (See this link, and check the link there to the Oz newspaper article!)

Did you ever expect the fuss you stirred up by finding the "Alberta Indian"?

Folks, if this is the original Supergranny, we have us a celebrity!

Thank you so much for the link, Supergranny.

Folks, a hint: After you follow Supergranny's link, click on the small image of the Alberta Indian to see the full article. That page includes voice interviews with Professor Duane Froese, a geology professor at the University of Alberta; one with Cypress County Manager, Lutz Perschon; and one with Supergranny herself!

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/03/2006 10:17:22
Go to Top of Page

supergranny

4 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  10:23:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send supergranny a Private Message
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20061101.IPODMAN01/TPStory/?query=alberta+indian As LoRezFlyer you got a mention in this article to. This is the real Supergranny.
Edited by - supergranny on 11/03/2006 10:30:41
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  10:50:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by supergranny

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\LYNN'S DOCUMENTS\GOOGLE INDIAN STUFF\globeandmail_com Is this the face of iPod Man.mht you got a quote in this article to (LoRezFlyer), and this is the real Supergranny.

I'm afraid you can't upload something that way, Supergranny. Maybe ask your daughter for help? If it's a link, you can use the Link Tool on the forum Reply screen along with the link. If it's a pic, though, you can upload it to this link, then post the direct link here. My bad. The link works after your edit, thanks!

Yes, I'm aka "LoRezFlyer." The real one. ; )

By the way, the correct link to the Australian newspaper (The Age) article on the Alberta Indian (or Hickox's Head) is here.

Lovely hearing your Oz voice in that Canadian radio interview! We have at least two Aussies, a Kiwi, and some Canadians, a ton of Yanks, and far too many Swedes to shake a stick at in these forums.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/03/2006 11:12:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.