New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  09:41:40  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Or are there any really new ones anymore?

http://www.gtc-group-international.com/intro.html

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  09:58:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
It sure sounds like a scam. If it is, it's very well done.

One thing to note is that they are using yahoogroups for a mailing list. Not too professional for a company that has control of 12 billion dollars.

I've sent them an email from a dummy email account I have to get the instructions.

But I don't understand how they could get you with this. They need a form of photo id or just an image of it, and you can opt to receive payments by checks in the mail. What could they do with a drivers license? Stalk me?

Edit:

They currently have 6039 members...

Edit #2:

I also sent yahoo an email.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/15/2006 10:38:14
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  11:14:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:

No Spam Policy
We have an extremely strict NO SPAM policy. You may not use the following methods to advertise your Referral URL:

Sending of unsolicited commercial emails. In other words, sending emails to people you don't personally know or people that haven't explicitly given you permission to email them.

Posting in newsgroups, message boards or forums that are not explicitly designated for advertising.

Any other method that may cause us to receive spam complaints.

You're in trouble now, Gorgo!

Anyway, I'm suspicious that somehow it'll be bye-bye bank account for the first however many that sign up before these guys pull up stakes and head for the next boiler room.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  11:28:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Caught again!

I suspect that at some point there will be some problem discovered, and each participant will be asked to come up with some money to show "good faith."

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  11:45:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
You MUST join our mailing-list so that we can notify you when we're ready to move ahead. As soon as we have the required number of participants we shall email everyone on our list with further instructions. You will not receive any other emails from us. To join the list all you need to do is send an email to this address:-
I wonder what those "further instructions" might be....

Methinks he doth protest his innocence and integrety too much -- I'm sure it's a scam. As soon as someone starts telling you all about how honest and upright a citizen he is, put your folding money in your front pocket and keep your hand on it.

I think this letter is just the bait; the hook will come sometime after they have your name on the list.

Think about it; anyone with 2 billion dollars is unlikely to mess around with recruiting silent partners off the internet, or even bother with such a paltry investment scheme.

Ricky, did you send them a string-along? If so, leep us up to date....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2006 :  23:58:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
It just occurred to me that this may be nothing more than a way for someone to get email and physical addresses to sell.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  01:08:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

It just occurred to me that this may be nothing more than a way for someone to get email and physical addresses to sell.

Yah. I decided to see what was at the end of one of those get a $50 credit at Best Buy hoping it was a real marketing gimmick and all I got was a 100 fold increase in spam.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  01:18:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
The only thing we require from you is permission to establish a trading account in your name with a well known trading firm.

I bet that it will not be the CTG Group that want money, but instead that this "well known trading firm" will require a small setup fee for anyone wanting an account. Any takers?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  04:29:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hawks

quote:
The only thing we require from you is permission to establish a trading account in your name with a well known trading firm.

I bet that it will not be the CTG Group that want money, but instead that this "well known trading firm" will require a small setup fee for anyone wanting an account. Any takers?

Heh, I ain't bettin' into your book.

And then, a little way down the road, the 'investment' will take a turn for the worse and an infusion of cash will be required or else you are out in the cold and your setup fee will be lost.... Gotta perteck that 'vestment, so many will fork over yet more money. Peddling an e-address list would be chump change beside what can be realized from this sort of thing if it is carefully run.

A way to be sure is to demand the name of the "well-known trading firm." If that name is not immediately forthcoming, tell the bastards to fuck off and then drop a dime on them with the local fuzz. The law might not be able do anything about it, but you will have made sure that these people are known of in circles that they would rather avoid.

All scams work on a single premise: Something for Nothing. As long as you are suspicious of free money, and do the homework before signing up, you will be very difficult to rip off.

I seem to recall that we discussed something of this nature a year or so back. We even had a couple of proponents of the scheme in here telling of how they would become wealthy. I wonder; is that one still going?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  04:34:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
I signed up with an address I use for spam trapping. I'll letcha know what happens, if anything.

I'm betting on a "small" ($2000) "setup" "fee" feeding a ponzi scheme that continues until they run out of cash and double quotes.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  05:13:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Here's something on the PIPS thing:

http://www.ssb.state.tx.us/press/pr6-6-05.html

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  06:56:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
The web address translates to:
inetnum:      202.71.96.0 - 202.71.111.255 
  netname:      EASTGATE 
  descr:        Telekom Multimedia of Telekom Malaysia Berhad 
  descr:        Telekom Exchange II  Jalan Lingkaran Fauna 
  descr:        63000 Cyberjaya  Selangor  MALAYSIA 
  admin-c:       TT197-AP 
  tech-c:        TT178-AP 
  changed:      gmen@tm.net.my

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  08:04:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

So.... We predicted this, didn't we? I hope our visitors didn't get burned too badly.
quote:

inetnum: 202.71.96.0 - 202.71.111.255
netname: EASTGATE
descr: Telekom Multimedia of Telekom Malaysia Berhad
descr: Telekom Exchange II Jalan Lingkaran Fauna
descr: 63000 Cyberjaya Selangor MALAYSIA
admin-c: TT197-AP
tech-c: TT178-AP
changed: gmen@tm.net.my

Doc, wasn't the PIPS flim-flam out of Malaysia as well?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  09:50:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Damnit, that could have been one of my 2006 predictions.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2006 :  10:21:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

inetnum: 202.71.96.0 - 202.71.111.255
netname: EASTGATE
descr: Telekom Multimedia of Telekom Malaysia Berhad
descr: Telekom Exchange II Jalan Lingkaran Fauna
descr: 63000 Cyberjaya Selangor MALAYSIA
admin-c: TT197-AP
tech-c: TT178-AP
changed: gmen@tm.net.my

Doc, wasn't the PIPS flim-flam out of Malaysia as well?

I remember this. Yes, it was.

But just remember, it's regulated(tm) by the Malaysian government. You know, the one rife with graft and corruption. Now that's a secure investment. (snicker)

Good catch, Gorgo.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.