New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  13:13:11  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
..... are trying to come together, it would seem..... Or at least the offer's been made.
quote:
A Tempting Job Offer for Hwang Woo-suk

The U.S. biotech firm Clonaid has sprung to the rescue of the embattled cloning scientist Hwang Woo-sook with an offer to join a research partnership at its secret research facility. Clonaid was founded by the Raelian Movement, a cult-like religious group that maintains humans were created by aliens and claims to have cloned a human being. The company is represented by French scientist Dr. Brigitte Boisselier.

A press release from the company on Monday said Boisselier has written to Hwang to outline the proposal. Boisselier said she believed Hwang's discoveries to be original and that groups opposing stem cell research such as the Catholic Church conspired to undermine Hwang by making it appear as though the scientist concocted his data. She said he had become a victim of a conservative anti-scientific faction, according to the press release.

There is little chance that Hwang, who has maintained his opposition to creating fully-grown clones of human beings, will join the firm. Clonaid probably knew this was a long shot and may have made the proposal to promote the religion.

The works Boisselier and Hwang. That would give us skeptics an endless topic for discussion and hilarity. Me, I hope they get it together.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  15:22:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
And why would the Raelians need him in the first place. They have supposedly already cloned, not just cells, but a whole human being. What can Hwang possibly offer that their own scientists can't?

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
What can Hwang possibly offer that their own scientists can't?

Credibility?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2006 :  16:20:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hey, whaddya expect? They're Raelians!! Logic and reason, as we think of the terms, have nothing to do with it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  01:48:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Well the Raelians are in fantasyland. They've just fantasized that the work the guy admits was fake isn't really fake.
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  09:39:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
flock together? I don't know. I'm reminded of the douglas Adams quote
"it looked like one duck trying to make a third duck inside a second duck, while the second duck was trying to explain that it wasn't ready for a third duck right now, not with this first, duck and especially not when it, the second duck, was busy flying."
note: i can't find my copy of HGG, so correct the quote if it is wrong.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  10:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The technology exists to clone a human. It could be done fairly easily.

Remember, Hwang's dog clone is legit. He just faked his stem cell cloning research.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  12:17:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

The technology exists to clone a human. It could be done fairly easily.

Remember, Hwang's dog clone is legit. He just faked his stem cell cloning research.

I thought the dog clone was being questioned? We do have Dolly the sheep though. And I can't recall but I think cloned mice have been produced as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  13:10:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
I thought the dog clone was being questioned? We do have Dolly the sheep though. And I can't recall but I think cloned mice have been produced as well.

The dog was determined to be legit.

And yes, cloned mice by the hundreds are out there in labs.

Cloned cats also... there is a company that will clone your pet for you, for $50K.

The reproductive processes of all mammals are very similar, the only reason there is no confirmed human clone as yet is due to the alledged ethics concerns. No scientist, yet, has been willing to tackle that one. Can't say I blame them, as the first person to legitimately clone a human is probably going to get extreme backlash from the religious nutz here in the US.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sts60
Skeptic Friend

141 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  14:18:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sts60 a Private Message
the alledged ethics concerns

They are real ethics concerns, whether or not you agree with them.

Nor is everyone with qualms about cloning a "religious nut".
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2006 :  14:27:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
What are the ethical concerns of cloning humans? I always thought most of the concerns focus on how the clone is treated. I can't actually see anything unethical about cloning in and of itself.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/18/2006 14:27:32
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  14:01:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
They are real ethics concerns, whether or not you agree with them.

A clone is nothing more than your twin with a different birthday.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2006 :  17:51:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

What are the ethical concerns of cloning humans? I always thought most of the concerns focus on how the clone is treated. I can't actually see anything unethical about cloning in and of itself.

As to a clone itself, I have no ethical issue. But as to the process, there are serious problems with defects that occur. You get one good embryo for a large number of malformed embryos. Things like that have been mentioned as ethical issues. You know, the human experimentation side of the problem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.