Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  13:05:01  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
To encourage more lurkers, I suggest that we allow members to post as a guest.

How it would work is that you would still need an account, but on your post, only Guest will show up, with no link to a profile, and no ability to pm or email. Only the staff could see what members posted.

There are some complications involved, such as multiple guests in the same thread, but I'd figure I'd just see what everyone thought.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  13:58:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

How it would work is that you would still need an account, but on your post, only Guest will show up, with no link to a profile, and no ability to pm or email. Only the staff could see what members posted.

There are some complications involved, such as multiple guests in the same thread, but I'd figure I'd just see what everyone thought.

I'm not sure but isn't a lurker someone who just wants to read posts. Oh, I just looked up lurk and it said to lie in wait.....well, I don't understand why a person wouldn't reply if they want to. If they don't want to use the same screen name (for what ever reason) to read as post, couldn't they just get another name and post under a different idenity? I have two but not for that reason.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  16:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
It's probably not a good idea. How many pictures of alledgedly faked space-missions do you reckon Guest (BBBBBB) would post? (Shudder)

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  17:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I agree with Hawks.
The Terms of Registration are there to protect the board and the readers of the board.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  18:19:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
You guys missed the:

quote:
How it would work is that you would still need an account

It would just be more anonymous than posting as a member. And staff would still be able to see which member the guest is.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

UncleJ

41 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  20:09:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UncleJ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

I don't think there is much point.

You can already block access to your email address on the profile page. You also don't have to put any on your profile or check your pm's if you don't want to. In short, no one really has to know who you are beyond your username.

"The Church says the Earth is flat. But I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the Moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." - F. Magellan

"I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!" - H. Simpson
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  21:56:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I agree with Hawks.
The Terms of Registration are there to protect the board and the readers of the board.

I think Ricky has a good idea. It would serve a purpose and make immediate posting faster and easier. Limit "Guest" to maybe 3 posts- include that stipulation in "Post as Guest" option, when Terms of "Guest" Registration (essentially identical to regular registration) and "I Agree" button are displayed immediately prior to first post. Issue "Guest" a unique Password... distinguishing one "Guest" from another within a thread would simply be a matter of identifying them as "Guest 1", "Guest 2" etc. as more "Guests" post within a thread (for display purposes only.) For system purposes, the (unchangeable) Password would serve as their indentifier. If they attempt to exceed 3 posts, simply bring up the regular registration screen, and thereafter append further posting information (beginning with post number 4) to indicate updated user identification fields.

Beyond that, I doubt it would present any abuse issues beyond what transpires anyway (in some people observed to be pretty determined for whatever reasons) with administratiive action no differently taken... but I don't know. Since it could be easily implemented, I think it would be worth a trial run, anyway.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2006 :  22:41:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The real question is, since an SFN member (let's says it's Joe Schmoe) can re-register and post as "Hooter McGee" in just a few minutes, is there any real benefit to the forums in general in adding extra code to let Joe Schmoe more-easily post as "Guest," even if it's a limited-use function? His anonymity is better protected by creating a second account, since any time "Guest" posts, this staff member will be curious as to who's trying to hide (whereas I'd need a hint before assuming any newly-registered member is actually an old member "in disguise" - a hint like them both saying the exact same things in the same badly spelled English).

Not that I want to encourage sockpuppetry, of course (but for all I know, my top-ten favorite posters are all the same person). I just fail to see any significant benefit to the forums as a whole.

Convince me, Ricky. Tell me why this functionality would make the forums a better place for everyone, staff included.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  08:13:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The two things every user must put forth are user name and private messages. Now as we have seen in the past, if someone has a common user name that they used, we would be able to look at other things they've posted and gather information about them.

Posting as a guest would be more anonymous than posting as a user. Not much more granted, but slightly. Would this encourage more people to post? I'm not sure.

But I'm not so sure myself that it is a good idea. I just threw it out there to see what people think.

Edit: And I'm starting to like Ronnywhite's modification of it.

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 01/24/2006 08:15:01
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:51:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Well, I fail to see the point of having a guest feature. Registration is not hard or particularly time consuming. In fact, there are many who have registered and not posted. My guess is it's there way of showing support for what we do here. Anyhow, anyone can easily send us an email with his or her opinion on any subject.

Here is one we just got. This is all of it:
quote:

phony ha! you just can't stand being wrong, he has crystal clear evidence that evolution is the phony. Darwin denied his own theory on his death bed. so there

P.S. you people are a joke

Sigh. Whoever he is…

Seems to me that a guest feature would allow those who are upset with us to just hit and run with posts like the above “fan mail” letter. Anyone interested in any real discourse would simply register and post. Many lurkers have become members. And that's a good thing.

Like Dave I need to be convinced that a guest feature would actually improve traffic, lead to membership, and not just open the door for harder to track sock-puppets and hit and runs…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

UncleJ

41 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  19:46:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send UncleJ a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil
Sigh. Whoever he is…

My guess is that "he" is the voice in the email author's head

"The Church says the Earth is flat. But I know that it is round. For I have seen the shadow on the Moon. And I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." - F. Magellan

"I can't be a missionary! I don't even believe in Jebus!" - H. Simpson
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  20:00:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by UncleJ

quote:
Originally posted by Kil
Sigh. Whoever he is…

My guess is that "he" is the voice in the email author's head

If I had to guess, I say the "he" refers to Hovine. Adherants to the Hovine school of creationism (geniuses, all of them) are always emailing TalkOrigin with similar comments.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 01/24/2006 20:00:57
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  20:42:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert
If I had to guess, I say the "he" refers to Hovine.

Is Hovine a cross between Hovind and bovine, perhaps indicating an unusually large amount of bull.

- TW
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  21:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tw101356

quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert
If I had to guess, I say the "he" refers to Hovine.

Is Hovine a cross between Hovind and bovine, perhaps indicating an unusually large amount of bull.

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  21:27:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tw101356

Bah, you knew who I meant. Hovind. There.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  18:13:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
I doubt you'd get many more real posts than we do now. Registration isn't really that hard. I agree with Kil and others in that what we almost certainly would see a lot more of is; one-shot abussive posts, generic flamebait, links to conspiracy theory pages and their ilk, plus good old fashioned spam.

A "guestbook" is a more useful feature for people too lazy to register. It keeps all the rubbish in one spot, not cluttering up the actual forums with detritus.

If the lurkers aren't encouraged to join by all of the good posts, parley, personalities and protestations in plentiful supply here, making it simpler to post probably isn't going to help a great deal.

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.