Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  02:45:21  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message

I've been seeing these ads all over TV and on the Web. I think Bigfoot's being played by Adam Savage, who is co-host, with Jamie Hyneman, of "Mythbusters," a hoot of a skeptical, scientific-minded show on the Discovery Channel. (Does anyone else who watches it agree with me that someone's going to get seriously injured or killed sooner or later doing the crazy stuff they do?)

Anyone got a guess as to who this is in the Sasquatch costume??

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  02:52:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I loved the episode where they found out Jaime's expert opinion on the safety glass was wrong and guess what? It wasn't bullet proof after all.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 01/24/2006 02:52:56
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  03:06:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
It wasn't bullet proof after all.

Yeah! Little errors like that can kill.

Also, they do many of their "experiments" at the (former) Alameda Naval Air Station, where my ship, USS Aludra, was homeported during Nam. I used to have to walk roving security there, some cold, foggy nights, armed with a baton. Fun to see them trashing the place. ; )

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  05:59:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Like how they screwed up the ice bullet on two different episodes, its clear you need to use co2 compression and not really hot gunpowder.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  06:26:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Like how they screwed up the ice bullet on two different episodes, its clear you need to use co2 compression and not really hot gunpowder.

The one I thought held the greatest possibility for serious injury was when they filled a cement truck up with cement, let it dry, and then tried blasting the concrete out.

The final attempt:

Cement truck at the bottom of a quarry surrounded by more TNT than you could shake a stick at. Our intrepid heroes claim to be about a mile away. They sarcastically wonder if they aren't too close. They detonate the truck. Their sarcasm turns to shock as parts of the concrete and truck start raining around them.

The other one I remember was where they were testing the warmed up jawbreaker and ended up scald burning one of their tech crew. (She said some naughty words)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  08:01:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Damn, I really must hook up to that new-fangled cable/satelite contraption. I'm obviously missing out on some highly educational programming.

By the bye, I could have gotten the concrete out of the truck with a minimum of damage to it. Wouldn't have had to work very hard to do it, either!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  08:27:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
They did successfully remove the concrete with dynamite, BEFORE they blew up the truck for the hell of it. They generally go overboard at the end for fun.

Also they screwed up the sinking boat suction thing, it was very poorly executed, they ship sank very slowly and did not displace the air in the boat rapidly. Its just like quicksand, you sink because the resistance is limited by X amount of water forcing the sand apart, while in water you sink faster if more air is in the water you are sinking through.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  09:36:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Yeah, its a 'fun' show alright, beats FOX all to hell.

To the subject, i'ld name this bigfoot, "Jeb."

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:00:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Mythbusters is great. Been watching it since it first aired, and have been hooked since.

It is funny, educational, and manages to keep your attention.

Gotta love that there is atleast one show on TV that emphasizes critical thinking.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:08:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
I love the show too. I really like the episode where they tried to make homemade mouthwash using vodka and cinnamon and compared it with store bought - pretty funny.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:09:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Then there was the episode where Adam (IS that Adam in the Bigfoot get-up?) was going along for a ride as a passenger in a car that had been rigged for remote control by Jamie Hyneman. Of course, the "control" part failed, the car sped off and smashed through a chain-link fence. Adam was uninjured only by the grace of Darwin.

BigPapaSmurf wrote:
quote:
They generally go overboard at the end for fun.

Yeh, and that's both a source fascination and a source of worry in my mind. They love very big explosions and other destructive forces. (I do, too, I admit. This is a show for boys who never grow up.) Their general philosophy is: If the experiment didn't prove the myth using the original myth's stated quantity of fire/explosives/acid/cobras/altitude/pressure/sonic blast/rabid bats, then try a hundred times that at the very end. Hell, even if the smaller amount already confirmed the myth, use the massive amount for the fun of it.

NubiWan! Do you have a larger version of your avatar? The Signs are being revealed. It looks like the bother to the "Alberta Indian" in this thread!:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5489

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/24/2006 12:29:54
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:17:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

(I do, too, I admit. This is a show for boys who never grow up.)

And girls!

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:24:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
quote:
And girls!

My bad: I left out girls so as not to insult them, and that backfired, naturally. And they have one gal on the show who is in there risking her life with along wirh the guys, apparently out of the same sense of fun at playing with matches.

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  11:25:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

quote:
And girls!

My bad: I left out girls so as not to insult them, and that backfired, naturally. And they have one gal on the show who is in there risking her life with along wirh the guys, apparently out of the same sense of fun at playing with matches.

No insult. I love playing with highly destructive things. Then again, I'm the girl who likes to play with burning candles.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  15:43:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
We made some real nice hydrogen balloons and sent them flying over the neighborhood with burning strings attached to try to make hoax UFOs when I was a kid.

Then there was the CO2 cartridge my stupid brother stuffed with matchheads. We never found any parts after we blew it up.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2006 :  16:17:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Hell, even if the smaller amount already confirmed the myth, use the massive amount for the fun of it.

Thats why the show is entertaining.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.