Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  13:25:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Unecessary caps account for 90% of the first two threads' score? Holy crap.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  14:08:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

OK, I've gone through the previous 2 threads to get a more accurate picture. I've take into account the stuff posted here on the third thread as I don't want to ding him on multiple of the same majors.

From First thread - 1,164
From Second thread - 3,035
From third thread thus far - 187

Total - 4,386

The first two threads allone have a combined unnecessary caps total of 760. I have included the -5 baseline in it. I have the details saved off to my hard drive.

Damn you all. Curiosity got the better of me, to date for the third thread I get 1,821 additional points. with 342 additional unnecessary all caps.

So updated totals:

Total points over three threads to date: 6,020
Total unnecessary caps: 1,102

Unnecessary caps as percentage of total score: 91.5%

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  14:34:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Not that I want to rain on your mad skillz, Val, but you're not counting "TRACE" or "SOHO" and other abbreviations as unnecessary caps, are you?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  14:45:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Not that I want to rain on your mad skillz, Val, but you're not counting "TRACE" or "SOHO" and other abbreviations as unnecessary caps, are you?

I have cleverly not counted those. Specifically TRACE (a satelite IIRC), SOHO, NASA, and a few others which read in context as necessary capitalizations such as IMO, etc. Only those non-necessary capitalizations were counted. 189 in the first thread, 571 in the second, and 342 in the third.

In some extreme cases he had over 30 in a single post.

Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 01/27/2006 14:47:20
Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  17:23:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
quote:

quote:

OK, I've gone through the previous 2 threads to get a more accurate picture. I've take into account the stuff posted here on the third thread as I don't want to ding him on multiple of the same majors.

Total - 4,386

The first two threads allone have a combined unnecessary caps total of 760. I have included the -5 baseline in it. I have the details saved off to my hard drive.

Damn you all. Curiosity got the better of me, to date for the third thread I get 1,821 additional points. with 342 additional unnecessary all caps.

So updated totals:

LOL! This is a very funny thread. :)

By the way, it's Birkeland's model, not mine. He beat me to the punch by 100 years or so whereas Dr. Manuel only beat me to it by three or four decades. :)
Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  17:25:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
Can I deduct points for everyone that has failed to address the nuclear chemistry in this debate, because if so, I think I'm probably in negative point territory.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  17:35:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The Crackpot Index is "A simple method for rating potentially revolutionary contributions to physics," so it doesn't matter with whom the ideas originate, it's a rating method for the proponents of the ideas.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  17:45:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
>>40 points for claiming that when your theory is finally appreciated, present-day science will be seen for the sham it truly is. (30 more points for fantasizing about show trials in which scientists who mocked your theories will be forced to recant.)

You can't give me points for that! It's not even my theory and it's based upon a scientific history of the solid surface elecrical solar model starting with Birkeland. If Galileo's gas model theory can be considered "present day" science then surely Birkeland's solar model would also have to be "present day" science, even if it's less popular at the moment.

>>50 points for claiming you have a revolutionary theory but giving no concrete testable predictions.

Actually, there were quite a few testable predictions in that first paper, most of which can be confirmed or falsified by STEREO, or have already been confirmed by isotope analysis.

You guys are a little overzealous if you ask me. Not that I'm bias or anything...... :)
Edited by - Michael Mozina on 01/27/2006 17:46:13
Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  18:17:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
quote:
So updated totals:

Holy smokes. If I can eliminate 91.5% of the problem just by unlearning my use of caps, I think it's worth the effort. I'll see what I can do for you, but remember, old habits die hard. :)
Go to Top of Page

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  21:59:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mozina...

You can't give me points for that! It's not even my theory and it's based upon a scientific history of the solid surface elecrical solar model starting with Birkeland. If Galileo's gas model theory can be considered "present day" science then surely Birkeland's solar model would also have to be "present day" science, even if it's less popular at the moment.
It is interesting to note that as Michael's hopes of proving his fantasy crumble like dust blowing in a plasma wind, he's all the more inclined to hand the failure to someone else. It was his when he thought it was good. Now that he's realizing just how badly the whole concept sucks he wants to bail. Nope, Michael, you don't get that luxury. You're the one who's running all over the Internet extolling your ludicrous claim. It's yours, 100%, title and deed. You own it.
Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2006 :  22:16:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
Well for his rather strange theory I must say you gotta respect M.M. for persistence and humor. so many people would simply snap and go crazy at thread like this.("I have thrown the pearls of truth before swine!!! Damn You all!!!")

I'm almost glad I brought him here.

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2006 :  09:48:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Well guys I dont think this is supposed to work vs. 40 pages of threads, but in a single paper presentation. Still fun though.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  07:13:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Total - 4,386

So updated totals:

Well, he's gotten better about the unnecessary all caps. He is, however, using a surrogate enclosing in asteriks for caps in some cases. After reviewing the data over then next 5 pages of the thread, he has

added another 49 unnecessary all caps words [+245 points]
added a new term, ill defined [+10 points]

This brings his all caps total for the thread to 391 [1,955 points] and his total crackpot index overall to 6,275 points all without revealing what the solid surface is made of.

Ignored points don't take away from your score. If they did, the resurrection of Christ would have serious negative numbers.

Go to Top of Page

Michael Mozina
SFN Regular

1647 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  09:30:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Michael Mozina's Homepage Send Michael Mozina a Private Message
quote:
Well, he's gotten better about the unnecessary all caps. He is, however, using a surrogate enclosing in asteriks for caps in some cases. After reviewing the data over then next 5 pages of the thread, he has

This brings his all caps total for the thread to 391 [1,955 points] and his total crackpot index overall to 6,275 points all without revealing what the solid surface is made of.

Ignored points don't take away from your score. If they did, the resurrection of Christ would have serious negative numbers.

I can't even use asteriks? Damn you all...... :)
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  10:46:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Mozina

quote:

I can't even use asteriks? Damn you all...... :)

I didn't ring you up for the asteriks. It's not on the list, I'm chalking it up to legitimate stressors on verbiage. But they seem to be a surrogate for all caps. A good first step.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.