Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Miracle tied to John Paul/Karol Woljyta.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jason Barker
Skeptic Friend

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  18:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Jason Barker's Homepage Send Jason Barker a Private Message
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060130/ap_on_re_eu/john_paul_sainthood

You knew they would find one. He was too popular NOT to be sainted. Let's see how it plays out.

Homer: He thinks he's so big, with all his money and wealth. But there's one thing he can't buy with his money.

Marge:What's that?

Homer:........a dinosaur.

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  19:08:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Reminds me of this rant from Father Guido Sarducci:

quote:
You know, you don't have-a a patron saint for the United States, but there are some American saints. Just the last couple of years they made-a some. The first was-a about-a two years ago. Her name was-a Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton. Mother Seton-is-a what they call her. And she's got-a these nuns of her own order who lobby-they're real heavy-they came to Rome and everything. And it's amazing, you see. To be made a saint in-a the catholic church, you have to have-a four miracles. That's-a the rules, you know. It's-a always been that-a. Four miracles, and-a to prove it. Well, this-a Mother Seton-now they could only prove-a three miracles. But the Pope-he just waved the fourth one. He just waved it! And do you know why? It's-a because she was American. It's all-a politics. We got-a some Italian-a people, they got-a forty, fifty, sixty miracles to their name. They can't-a get in just cause they say there's already too many Italian saints, and this woman comes along with-a three lousy miracles. I understand that-a two of them was-a card tricks. Next thing you know, they're gonna be making Kreskin a saint. Saint Kreskin-they'll probably call him. It's a good one.

Full rant here.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2006 :  19:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Jason Barker's forum signature is hereby incorporated into a spoof:
quote:
Brother Homer: He thought he was so big, with all his holiness and miraculous powers. But there's one thing he couldn't get with his miracles.

Sister Marge: What's that?

Brother Homer:........ A cure for his own Parkinson's.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

ronnywhite
SFN Regular

501 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  02:03:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ronnywhite a Private Message
What's this "four miracles" dung? I mean, as if there's been one verified in human history (happens all the time, hugh?) Anyway, yea, woman from Philly I recall "got it" (sainted) a few years ago... sounded like a nice enough lady and all that, but I'm sure her having been loaded to the gills with cash didn't hurt. Er, maybe that's just coincidence. Hell, idunno.

Ron White
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  03:57:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
A bunch of us, including myself, predicted this as soon as John Paul shuffled off this mortal coil and on to his reward in oblivian. Can we call it, or what?

The only suprise is that it took this long to come up with a 'miracal.' And if I were of a more cynical turn of mind, I'd predict that they'll find many more.

Hell, I am that cynical. We'll be hearing about JP miracles for years.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  04:11:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Cured? Could it be stem cells? fetal tissue? drugs? or a fake healing?

It will be interesting indeed as it's harder to fake a miracle in this day and age.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  05:14:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Miracle:

Step 1: Claim a miracle.

Step 2: Find a lot of people who just want to believe.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  07:08:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

Miracle:

Step 1: Claim a miracle.

Step 2: Find a lot of people who just want to believe.

Sad but true. Think of it as the Mary in a Cow-pie Syndrom. If such is found, or reputed to be found, crowds will decend upon the pasture with flowers, prayers, and humble requests for a healing. And they will depart convinced that they have been blessed.

D'ya recall the great to-do over Roy's Rock some time ago, down there in 'Bama? Same deal. Protestant fundies as whacked out as any hell-bound Catholic were crawling and groveling in front of it; for all pratical purposes worshiping it. I seem to recall the Bible having something to say about idolatry, but the churchs and their faithful have ever been selective in their interpretations.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2006 :  07:13:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message
It's not an idol if you believe in it.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  07:12:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
Everyone's favorite Miracle.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  13:00:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by moakley

Everyone's favorite Miracle.

That's great!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  13:53:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
How did I not hear about that!?!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.