Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  07:53:50  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
[Plagiarized material deleted - Dave W.]

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

The fact that humans do science is what causes errors in science. -Dave W.-

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  08:30:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
Plagiarized from an item posted in November of 2004, in The World Net Daily. And at the top of the op-ed piece it specifically says "© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com".
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  08:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
No thinking person has a problem wih the ACLU.

I am always amused by the morons who jump in and call the ACLU liberal and extremist.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  09:39:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

I am always amused by the morons who jump in and call the ACLU liberal and extremist.

(bill) Unless they happen to disagree with secretly supporting a highley illegal activity such as boy/man sex.

I am always amused by the morons who jump in and call the ACLU liberal and extremist
(bill)I am amazed at the mornons who send money to this man/boy sex supporting org.

"Lets get one thing clear, Bill. Science does make some assumptions." -perrodetokio-

"In the end as skeptics we must realize that there is no real knowledge, there is only what is most reasonable to believe." -Coelacanth-

Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  09:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

Plagiarized from an item posted in November of 2004, in The World Net Daily. And at the top of the op-ed piece it specifically says "© 2004 WorldNetDaily.com".

Dick F. Tracey

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  14:49:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Unless they happen to disagree with secretly supporting a highley illegal activity such as boy/man sex.

Ahh, I got it. So every gay man that wants to be involved with the boy scouts is secretly a child molester. Right?

Kind of like priests?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  16:57:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bill scott

quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

Dick F. Tracey

You aren't allowed to re-post copyrighted material. It's in the terms of registration, for the protection of this site.
Edited to add: You may quote parts of it, and link to WorldNetDaily.com

It's a good thing they caught it so soon. Kudos to GeeMack for spotting it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/01/2006 16:59:31
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2006 :  19:29:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

Completely agree with you.
Seems to me, many of those people are confusing emotions about an issue with the law and free speech, etc.
Even when there is no questions that someone has committed a crime, by our law they have the right to a defense.
Lawyer who defend certain people are looked down upon as if they are scum but they are doing a job.
Just because something is unpopular or even wrong by certain standards or by certain views doesn't not mean that another sees it in a different way. And they have a right to present their case.
We do need organizations like the ACLU. Or change the law, become a communist or go to Russia.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  13:41:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
WOW, Snake, we have an area of mutual agreement.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  22:43:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

WOW, Snake, we have an area of mutual agreement.

I have just reversed my opinion
Go to Top of Page

Bill scott
SFN Addict

USA
2103 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  23:32:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Bill scott a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Snake

quote:

[quote]Seems to me, many of those people are confusing emotions about an issue with the law and free speech, etc.
Even when there is no questions that someone has committed a crime, by our law they have the right to a defense.
Lawyer who defend certain people are looked down upon as if they are scum but they are doing a job.
Just because something is unpopular or even wrong by certain standards or by certain views doesn't not mean that another sees it in a different way. And they have a right to present their case.
We do need organizations like the ACLU. Or change the law, become a communist or go to Russia.

Ok, after considering many posts that have been shared I am ready to say the ACLU can stay. I may not agree with some, or many, of the cases they defend, but I will admit they play a role in the checks and balances or our society. I also think the ALCU needs to be policed as well. After scanning the net I see there are many groups that do just that. So I guess more checks and balances. I must say, the framers of our constatution were very wise men.

I apologize to beskeptical for "hijacking" his Bill O. thread. I did not do it on purpose as I am new to the whole SFN thing and I am just learing all the ropes.

I am however still convinced that the act of homosexuality is unnatural, no mater what worldview you may subscribe to.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  00:07:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Bill,

It takes a mature person to not only be open to opposing opinions, but also to admit a change of mind to the people one has been debating with. I like this forum because most of the people on it are mature in that way.

That said, in regards to your view on homosexuality, I refer you to my response that I posted a few hours ago on the ACLU/NAMBLA discussion, and hope you respond since I always appreciate a good debate with an open-minded person.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  13:10:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
To change your mind when you realize you are wrong (eg. facing good arguments or evidence contrary to ones belief) is something that I consider a good thing. Changing your position to acknowledge that ACLU is of vital importance to the health of the American society is worthy of respect.

quote:
I am however still convinced that the act of homosexuality is unnatural, no mater what worldview you may subscribe to.

That is something we'd love to debate. In fact, we have a special forum for exactly those kinds of questions:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=22
Social Issues: "Manners, dating behavior, sexual orientation, gender issues, groupthink, family structures etc."

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  14:10:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Snake

quote:

[quote]Seems to me, many of those people are confusing emotions about an issue with the law and free speech, etc.

Ok, after considering many posts that have been shared I am ready to say the ACLU can stay. I may not agree with some, or many, of the cases they defend, but I will admit they play a role in the checks and balances or our society. I also think the ALCU needs to be policed as well. After scanning the net I see there are many groups that do just that. So I guess more checks and balances. I must say, the framers of our constatution were very wise men.

I apologize to beskeptical for "hijacking" his Bill O. thread. I did not do it on purpose as I am new to the whole SFN thing and I am just learing all the ropes.

Well done, Bill, and no sarcasm this time. It is gratifying to see that you're not so close-minded as I first thought.

Yes, the Constitution works and it works for all.

As to homosexuality, like many (most?) straight men, I am not entirely comfortable around it even though I have a couple of gay aquaintences. Whether this is a moral failing or not, I couldn't say.

I've been reading that the condition is genetic, but I'll have to let someone more knowledgable than I elaborate on it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  14:20:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I believe homosexuality in males runs about 50% in identical twins raised apart but my memory is sketchy there. I do know studies confirm a genetic connection but also confirm it is multifactorial in origin. But that doesn't rule out 100% genetic with the other factors negating it rather than initiating it. After all there is strong societal pressure not to be gay.

Research also confirms we are attracted to certain people on site and not to others. It isn't a completely learned behavior either. Whether it is visual or phermonal or a combination, who knows.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  15:04:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
The latest example of the ACLU showing its liberal bias and hatred of Christians:

http://www.aclu.org/religion/frb/23445prs20060112.html

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 02/05/2006 15:04:47
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds.