Much ado over yet another black speck.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jason Barker
Skeptic Friend

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  16:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Jason Barker's Homepage Send Jason Barker a Private Message
See the image at this link.

From the Coast to Coast website.

These people just settle for ANYTHING anymore when it comes to "proof".

[Edited to try to make our homepage readable again, sorry - Dave W.]

Homer: He thinks he's so big, with all his money and wealth. But there's one thing he can't buy with his money.

Marge:What's that?

Homer:........a dinosaur.

GeeMack
SFN Regular

USA
1093 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  17:06:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send GeeMack a Private Message
When the launch master at a hot air balloon event wants to determine the approximate wind direction and velocity, he releases a black helium balloon, maybe 8 to 10 inches in diameter, just like a typical toy rubber balloon. Usually this test balloon is released just before the hot air balloons are given clearance to launch. Although it seems likely the test balloon would have been out of sight by the time those hot air balloons got to those positions in the sky, it's not impossible, especially if there was little wind. It's also not impossible that an additional test balloon was released.

Before any real concern might be given to the idea of an unidentified object, all the real possibilities of known, identifiable objects would need to be eliminated. In this case there is at least one pretty darn good possibility which doesn't seem to have been explored.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  18:08:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
It was ridiculous for them to have blown up the speck, anyway. What was it, two pixels, before the camera's jpeg compression smeared even that? No additional information can be gotten from blowing up this speck, except to note the usual jpeg distortion.

Besides, someone has clearly doctored the "blowup" to make it look more like a UFO! Here's how the speck in the main photo actually looks after I enlarged it via Photoshop 7:

No longer a UFO, is it?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  18:41:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

When the launch master at a hot air balloon event wants to determine the approximate wind direction and velocity, he releases a black helium balloon, maybe 8 to 10 inches in diameter, just like a typical toy rubber balloon. Usually this test balloon is released just before the hot air balloons are given clearance to launch. Although it seems likely the test balloon would have been out of sight by the time those hot air balloons got to those positions in the sky, it's not impossible, especially if there was little wind. It's also not impossible that an additional test balloon was released.

Before any real concern might be given to the idea of an unidentified object, all the real possibilities of known, identifiable objects would need to be eliminated. In this case there is at least one pretty darn good possibility which doesn't seem to have been explored.

I didn't know that.... How interesting and what perfect sense it makes.

I assume that the speck in question is at the pointy end of the red arrow, but I can't see it at all. As far as I know, it might be a balloon, a bird, a bat, or a bit of fly dropping on the print, after the fact.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

trogdor
Skeptic Friend

198 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2006 :  18:51:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send trogdor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by GeeMack

I didn't know that.... How interesting and what perfect sense it makes.

I assume that the speck in question is at the pointy end of the red arrow, but I can't see it at all. As far as I know, it might be a balloon, a bird, a bat, or a bit of fly dropping on the print, after the fact.

the speck is a good inch from the end of the arrow. It is so small that photo doctoring to make something like this seems plain ridiculous!

all eyes were on Ford Prefect. some of them were on stalks.
-Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  20:42:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Barker

If you think UFOlogists are keen to make mountains out of molehills, check out this gem from the occultists!

I stumbled upon this while searching for some good solid scientific stuff for another post somewhere. I don't know how, it must've been "fate"

John's just this guy, you know.
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  20:43:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Oh, that is totally the flying car from Harry Potter. Wizards are real!!!

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  21:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
That's hilarious, John! They got NOTHING!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  02:27:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JohnOAS

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Barker

If you think UFOlogists are keen to make mountains out of molehills, check out this gem from the occultists!

I stumbled upon this while searching for some good solid scientific stuff for another post somewhere. I don't know how, it must've been "fate"

Oh, now that's just pathetic....

No matter which way you turn it, it's still just a blured photo of a rock, concievbly taken after an extended pub-crawl.

The quality of our paranormal investigators' evidence is in a downward spiral -- even the Cottingsly Fairies were better done than that turkey.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.