Scientists recover T. rex soft tissue
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnOAS
SFN Regular

Australia
800 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  02:47:28  Show Profile  Visit JohnOAS's Homepage Send JohnOAS a Private Message
I know this article is getting towards a year old, but I must've had my head buried in the sand, as a friend only sent it to me recently, and it was news to me:

Scientists recover T. rex soft tissue

Do your own google search on the phrase above and you'll get plenty of hits. Aparrently it sparked quite a bit of acivity from the YEC crowd, among others.

I know some of the folks here are interested in critters of various types, so I thought it might be of interest.

John's just this guy, you know.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  02:58:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
My question is, does it taste like chicken?

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  03:09:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
It can't be perfectly preserved like in formalin because if it were they wouldn't be saying maybe blood vessels and maybe cells. Those structures would be immediately visible. Still, anything not fossilized and not in amber that was millions of years old is pretty fascinating.

I believe they have recovered Neanderthal DNA from large bones but that isn't anywhere nearly as old.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/02/2006 03:11:03
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  04:22:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner

My question is, does it taste like chicken?

Yes, probably. Most reptiles do, to one extent or another.

The YECs, particulary AiG, have had a dream come true with this, or so they think. Here's the straight skinny on it from Dr. Gary Hurd, of TO and Internet Infidles:
quote:
common young earth creationist (YEC) misinterpretation of the discovery of surviving organic molecules in ancient bone is that this "proves" that the Earth is young and that geological and radiometric data should be ignored. The ancient surviving materials they commonly refer to are fragments of hemoglobin and osteocalcin (a bone protein) extracted from dinosaur bone. There are many problems with their position, but ultimately it reduces to nothing other than they just don't think that organic molecules can last a long while. The "Creation Science" approach is to deny the independent results of geology, chemistry and astronomy because these molecules exist.

I will not take the time in this essay to address the problematic origins of "creation science" in the United States or elsewhere and instead refer the interested reader to The Creationists: The Evolution of Scientific Creationism by Ron Numbers (1992). Some YEC creation scientists promote their "evidences" for the modern, even contemporary existence of dinosaurs. The popular young earth ministry of "Dr. Dino" Kent Hovind promotes videotapes of his talks that purport that there are recent dinosaurs. A similar ministry is by Carl Baugh of the Creation Evidence Museum, who claims to have excavated paleontological evidence that humans and dinosaurs co-existed throughout time. Publications by the Answers in Genesis Ministry (AiG) claim that evidence of recent dinosaurs refute both relative and absolute geological dating of the dinosaurs' extinction at ~65 million years ago which is many millions of years prior to the appearance of modern primates. Part of their argument is that fresh red blood cells, and hemoglobin have been recovered from dinosaur bone.

In the case of the dinosaur "red blood cell" argument aggressively promoted by Dr Carl Wieland, CEO of Answers in Genesis Ministry, Australia there is an active denial of fact that is astounding. Wieland has particularly focused on popular magazine stories, and short news items concerning the graduate school research by Mary H. Schweitzer on the organic residues from a single Tyrannosaurus rex bone. However, his misrepresentations have gained wide dispersal, and presumably acceptance within creationism. They have even been presented publicly to school boards in the United States as "scientific proof" of a 6,000-year-old Earth, and reason to replace science education with supernaturalism. We will leave the dating issues for a future analysis where we may examine the related creationist claims that the survival of other biomolecules, such as the bone protein osteocalcin, demonstrate that the Universe is young. Instead, we focus below on the observation that creationists have not even correctly read or represented the scientific literature concerning the results from Schweitzer and colleagues' research.

The whole thing is an excellent read.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2006 :  11:53:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
I discinctly recall a thread about this before, but the search engine doesn't find it...

Ah... Here it is:
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=2553&FORUM_ID=2

There are some links in that thread that might be worth checking out. That thread was originally posted February 2004, so it's two years old.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/02/2006 11:57:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.