Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  17:57:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
I have just now sent the following email, addressed to Dr. Sanjay Gupta at CNN.com:

Dr. Gupta, could you please consider doing some investigative reporting upon "Hospital Santa Monica," where Mrs. King recently died, and similar "alternative" clinics?

This thread at the Skeptic Friends Network has a discussion of the issue, as well as some further links that might aid you in beginning this research:

http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5592

Thank you for all you have done to promote rational health care!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/04/2006 17:59:19
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  19:34:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
On the CBS Evening News program tonight there was an item on the quack, Dr. Donsbach, and his Mexican clinic. It was a bit more critical of the quack clinic than most coverage. Included was a soundbyte from Dr. Barrett of Quackwatch, who tore that asshole Donsbach a new one.

Here's a link to the CBS video page. The clinic video is the fourth one down:

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?channel=eveningnews

Again, presently the most well-documented article on Donsbach is that on Quackwatch, by the fearless Stephen Barrett, M.D.:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/donsbach.html

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/04/2006 20:56:43
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  22:39:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Also, Though I would hate dying in the company of quacks (or bears), I would be willing submit to a real scientific experiment involving the chance of a cure, even if the probability of success was tiny. There are times, such as when you know you are dying anyway, to make a wild gamble, so long as the roulette tables are not rigged against you. Of course, expense and possible suffering would be issues to consider in making such a decision. But even losing the gamble in a scientific medical experiment could help others. In the hands of quacks, dying adds nothing to the body of medical science.

That's what I was talking about. Thinking of my aunt who died of cancer. She was given 6 months to live when they finally diagnosed it correctly so that's how far gone she was.
Years before when I told her to stop smoking she said she didn't care, 'everybody has got to go sometime' she'd say. But when her time came she fought it. She did go to the City of Hope but the way she was thinking toward the end she might have tried ANYTHING.
My point is, we can talk now but when you are in the middle of a situation I don't think anyone really knows what they'd do. Logicaly you might know a quack couldn't help but you might want to try. What IF?

I understand that if someone still has a real chance to servive a quack is not the 1st choice. But the hope is what I was thinking of, for those who aren't going to live anyway.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2006 :  23:13:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Snake spoke:
quote:
My point is, we can talk now but when you are in the middle of a situation I don't think anyone really knows what they'd do.

Actually, I have been in that situation, having in 1984 been given a stage 3 diagnosis of Hodgkins Lymphoma. The chance of surviving for 5 years was rated at 25%.

My best friend suggested I quit chemo and use New Age imaging techniques instead. I stubbornly went through the nasty chemo, lucked out, and survived. So I know I would be just as stubbornly "scientific" in my treatment choices in the future.

A quack's no choice if you're not going to survive, either. Why even consider going to a phoney doctor?

I hope when I eventually get to that point, I will either still have my wits about me, or my loved ones will remember what I'm telling them now about quacks.

I'd rather go out in an opiate stupor in a nice, clean hospice, than in the presence of mine enemies. And that's what I think quacks are. I'll never give them a penny that they could use to cause others to die.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/04/2006 23:16:37
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  00:55:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HalfMooner
Actually, I have been in that situation, having in 1984 been given a stage 3 diagnosis of Hodgkins Lymphoma.

I'd like to think I'd be as coherent facing that but being honest, I really don't know. And going by what my aunt said when she was so 'brave' before she got sick and knowing how she didn't want to accept the end as she thought she would, I see that what people think they will do and what they actually do in times of stress are two different things.
You may or may not be an aberration but it helps to have the input of one who's 'been there'.....and back!
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  01:04:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
Snake spat:
quote:
I'd like to think I'd be as coherent facing that but being honest, I really don't know. And going by what my aunt said when she was so 'brave' before she got sick and knowing how she didn't want to accept the end as she thought she would, I see that what people think they will do and what they actually do in times of stress are two different things.
You may or may not be an aberration but it helps to have the input of one who's 'been there'.....and back!

Thank you for the very kind words. I sure didn't know in advance how I'd react when facing death. But it's not "in advance," anymore. I don't think that how I reacted was particularly admirable, but it was certainly in line with a long family tradition of boneheaded stubbornness.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/05/2006 09:48:43
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  13:43:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
And my friend chose to waste his time going to Mexico for peach pits, (Layatril), as he died of Hodgkin's at the age of 21. Hope is one thing, false hope is another thing. If research is incomplete, there is no better alternative, it isn't robbing you of precious time or your other valuables, and if the treatment does no harm, then that hope could be a positive thing. But if any of those factors is not true, then false hope is not hope.

Peach pits were well researched and weren't effective. My friend lost lots of valuable time chasing that false hope and for a life only lasting 21 years, that's a very bad thing.

And on a slightly different side of this issue, my father was diagnosed with cancer about 2 months before he died. The doctor, having a hard time telling someone such bad news, told my dad he probably had 6 months to live. I was suspicious knowing what the tests had shown about the extent of the cancer but didn't say anything since I wasn't an expert in that field and the doctor was. Well 2 months or 6 months, you make very different decisions as to what you want to use the time for. I've always felt bad that my dad decided to try to finish up some work on the house and then go to see loved ones before he died. He ended up too ill and had to return home without seeing the people he wanted to see.

I give my patients honest information. It's up to them to decide what they need especially in such circumstances. It isn't up to me to second guess and decide they want false hope. Possible hope, yes, false hope no.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 02/05/2006 13:46:28
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2006 :  14:08:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
beskptigal murmured:
quote:
I give my patients honest information. It's up to them to decide what they need especially in such circumstances. It isn't up to me to second guess and decide they want false hope. Possible hope, yes, false hope no.

And therein lies a primary difference between real medicine and quackery.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2006 :  20:09:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
A new AP article on Mexican quack clinics, on the CNN.com site:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/07/mexico.clinic.ap/index.html

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  03:50:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I saw the interview of the sister whose sister died getting botched surgery at the clinic Ms King was at. And Dr Barrett of Quackwatch had apparently been reporting for years on the Dr of Chiropractic that was running the place.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  12:30:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message
With the endemic corruption of Mexican officials, and easy border access for Americans, this is likely to remain a major poblem.

Maybe a collection could be taken up, to raise funds to bribe Mexican officials to do their jobs, and shut the clinics down?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.