Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  13:07:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

Storm said:
quote:
Pay attention to detail!!!!

Use some basic grammar if you want to communicate. Periods at the end of a sentence, paragraph breaks, that kind of thing. Otherwise you forfeit your right to bitch about people not clearly getting what you type.

beskeptigal, if you come into an ER puking your guts out and complaining of intense pain... you are getting an anti-emetic and maybe some pain meds. If your white count comes back high, then you will prob be getting antibiotics as well. That is how it works in my experience anyway.

Nope. I also spent a few hours in a hospital in 1991 with gastroenteritis (sp). Felt like crap. Difficulty walking. Galloping gunk (Hersey squirts, etc). High fever. Stomach cramps. Even managed to pass out during the outpatient emergency visit. Earned me an IV and a trip to the hospital.

During this time, precisely zero medications were given to me. (And I only had a very rude test once. Threatened the second doc with an ass kicking if he tried it.)

Turns out that my condition had caused me to be dehydrated (even though I was forcing liquids). I had improved to the point of stability and was released the next day. (Still felt like crap and had stomach cramps.)

After a couple of days of bed rest, the fever broke and the cramping was gone.

Supernatural or the normal track of the disease, Storm?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  15:07:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Valiant, next time you have trouble keeping things down or in, DO NOT force liquids!. Stop everything, except wetting your mouth. When things are clam, take very small sips of clear liquids. Increase as tolerated, stop if not. You lose more than you gain trying to replace fluids before your gut quiets. IV fluids are the only way if resting the gut and sipping doesn't work in time.

Storm, I for one appreciate your patience.
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  19:05:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Now whether you call this profound experience...God....Goddess...Lord...Muhammed...Buddha...Zeus...Jesus...Science...Nature....Intelligent Design..

I'm curious, Storm, why you didn't mention the Invisible Pink Unicorn, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or the Zorgons from the planet Hermaxital 5.7? Did you rule them out for some reason? If so, what was it?

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  19:25:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Storm
At one time years ago I could agree to the "fantasy prone individual" profile of myself ...but now in this day and time through much study and contemplation..it no longer fits...

You can't "contemplate" yourself out of a propensity for fantasy, Storm. And I have some idea of the material you "study," it's nothing but New Age crap written by people who think very much like you do. All it does is reinforce your delusions, it doesn't help you to understand reality any better. You read books that will tell you that ghosts are really just "energy" but none of them will explain how to test that assumption, and you believe it because you want to. That's not "studying." That's called communal reinformcement--it's surrounding yourself with only people and authors who share your view of things. This prevents you from ever learning anything new and ensures that your assumptions are never challenged.

Although I do think it's good you come here every now and then. Unlike beskeptigal, I think a little dose of harsh skepticism is exactly what you need. It's probably the only exposure to it you have.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/24/2006 19:26:23
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:35:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Val said:
quote:
Nope. I also spent a few hours in a hospital in 1991 with gastroenteritis (sp). Felt like crap. Difficulty walking. Galloping gunk (Hersey squirts, etc). High fever. Stomach cramps. Even managed to pass out during the outpatient emergency visit. Earned me an IV and a trip to the hospital.

Well, as an RN by profession, and one who has paid his dues in a trauma center ER, I'll say it again....

In my experience, if you come through an ER complaining of pain/nausea and you are actually throwing up your stomach contents, you are automatically getting IV fluids and an anti-emetic.

Dispute it all you want, I have administered this treatment to dozens of people over the years.

There is definitely some variation, by region (and by individual doctor for that matter), to what is the SOP for certian common symptoms.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  22:59:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Storm wrote:
quote:
No one should be attacking anyone...This is a forum of discussion of very interesting and intelligable and sometimes wacky ideas....theories...I am the Elipse girl....the three dots represent a time for you take and contemplate what I have discussed...proposed...It is so much more contemplative then the .

Obviously we all take some liberties with language and the rules of grammar. However, when you break the rules to the point of failing to communicate, you are wasting both your times and ours. Elipses refer to additional information, not simply pauses in time. That is why when someone wants to quote a long paragraph, but cut it down, they write: "first line of paragraph...last line of paragraph". If you want to create a dramatic pause or emphasis,

do this,

or this,

or this.

See, it works. And no one gets confused.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Check out my art store: http://www.marfknox.etsy.com

Edited by - marfknox on 02/24/2006 23:00:19
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2006 :  23:07:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Humbert wrote:
quote:
I have some idea of the material you "study," it's nothing but New Age crap written by people who think very much like you do. All it does is reinforce your delusions, it doesn't help you to understand reality any better. You read books that will tell you that ghosts are really just "energy" but none of them will explain how to test that assumption, and you believe it because you want to. That's not "studying." That's called communal reinformcement--it's surrounding yourself with only people and authors who share your view of things. This prevents you from ever learning anything new and ensures that your assumptions are never challenged.

Although I do think it's good you come here every now and then. Unlike beskeptigal, I think a little dose of harsh skepticism is exactly what you need. It's probably the only exposure to it you have.
I think it is both rude and presumptuous to jump to such specific conclusions about Storm. One of my friends is a religious studies major at Ohio State University, and she says a lot of the students in that field develop similar spiritualist ideas about unifying all the world religions. Of course my friend also argues that their ideas are unfounded wishful thinking that requires tossing out the majority of facts about religious theologies to make their theory fit, but I digress. The point is, one does not necessarily need to read someone else's new age bs to adopt their own. Storm may have read about many world religions in legitimate religious and historical texts, and still formed her conclusions all on her own.

"Too much certainty and clarity could lead to cruel intolerance" -Karen Armstrong

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  07:11:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox:

Humbert wrote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have some idea of the material you "study," it's nothing but New Age crap written by people who think very much like you do. All it does is reinforce your delusions, it doesn't help you to understand reality any better. You read books that will tell you that ghosts are really just "energy" but none of them will explain how to test that assumption, and you believe it because you want to. That's not "studying." That's called communal reinformcement--it's surrounding yourself with only people and authors who share your view of things. This prevents you from ever learning anything new and ensures that your assumptions are never challenged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is both rude and presumptuous to jump to such specific conclusions about Storm. One of my friends is a religious studies major at Ohio State University, and she says a lot of the students in that field develop similar spiritualist ideas about unifying all the world religions. Of course my friend also argues that their ideas are unfounded wishful thinking that requires tossing out the majority of facts about religious theologies to make their theory fit, but I digress. The point is, one does not necessarily need to read someone else's new age bs to adopt their own. Storm may have read about many world religions in legitimate religious and historical texts, and still formed her conclusions all on her own.

Check out Storm's website, especially the links, and then tell us how much scholarly comparative religion research you think she's done.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

Edited by - R.Wreck on 02/25/2006 07:18:28
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:20:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox
I think it is both rude and presumptuous to jump to such specific conclusions about Storm.
What makes you think I'm presuming anything?

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:32:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
R. Wreck wrote:
quote:
Check out Storm's website, especially the links, and then tell us how much scholarly comparative religion research you think she's done.
I think I've made myself misunderstood. I didn't say that Storm's ideas had any validity what-so-ever. I was in fact the first to criticize them. All I said was that someone can have legitimate sources for their knowledge and still come to crackpot conclusions all on their own. Humbert was assuming that Storm got her ideas from other crackpots. Maybe that is true, but it is not right to assume.

Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:36:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Humbert wrote: What makes you think I'm presuming anything?

I went back and re-read what you wrote; OK, you did write "I have some idea" and "probably", so technically you suggested instead of assuming. Sorry. My bad.

Hey, Storm, what is your reference materials for your research into religions?

Edited by - marfknox on 02/25/2006 14:36:27
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  14:44:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marfknox:

R. Wreck wrote:
quote:

I think I've made myself misunderstood. I didn't say that Storm's ideas had any validity what-so-ever. I was in fact the first to criticize them. All I said was that someone can have legitimate sources for their knowledge and still come to crackpot conclusions all on their own. Humbert was assuming that Storm got her ideas from other crackpots. Maybe that is true, but it is not right to assume.

Some of us familiar with Storm's history here feel it's a pretty safe bet that the crackpot conclusions are supported for the most part by crackpot sources. She does have a talent though for finding one sentence in a legitimate source provided to her and misinterpreting it as supporting her contention.

T. H. Huxley

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:09:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:

I went back and re-read what you wrote; OK, you did write "I have some idea" and "probably", so technically you suggested instead of assuming. Sorry. My bad.
Well, the reason I have "some" idea about where Storm get her ideas from is because she has linked articles here in the past. We tried to point her to some real scientific sources on occasion, without success. Many months ago she said she was "researching" the possibility that ghosts are just a natural manifestation of energy, although it was clear she had no idea what sort of "energy" she meant. She didn't even have a basic understanding of physics or of what energy even is. We suggested that she do some further research on energy before trying to tie the term to the paranormal. She came back a few hours later with an article from some woo-woo author that claimed energy is the same as love, and that our sun was actually a big ball of love. (I'm not making this up.)

Anyway, the point is some of us here know a bit about the types of material from which Storm takes her ideas. It seems many times you are far too eager to jump in and start accusing me or other members of this forum of impropriety, when it is often the case that you do not know the whole story. I don't need to hear from you every time a comment sets off your personal sensitivity meter. There is no reason for you to act like some kind of "rudeness cop" going around and flagging each comment you think crossed some imaginary line, nor will I feel compelled to further explain each and every one of my remarks to you in the future. I suggest you worry less about policing the decorum of the other members, as your standards often will not be universally shared and your presumptive reprimands resented.

Edited by - H. Humbert on 02/25/2006 15:15:06
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  15:39:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

quote:

Well, the reason I have "some" idea about where Storm get her ideas from is because she has linked articles here in the past. We tried to point her to some real scientific sources on occasion, without success. Many months ago she said she was "researching" the possibility that ghosts are just a natural manifestation of energy, although it was clear she had no idea what sort of "energy" she meant. She didn't even have a basic understanding of physics or of what energy even is. We suggested that she do some further research on energy before trying to tie the term to the paranormal. She came back a few hours later with an article from some woo-woo author that claimed energy is the same as love, and that our sun was actually a big ball of love. (I'm not making this up.)

Wow. I had some weird flashback now... now I have to find that site again. It was right there with V-man's sites.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

marfknox
SFN Die Hard

USA
3739 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  16:21:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit marfknox's Homepage  Send marfknox an AOL message Send marfknox a Private Message
Humbert wrote:
quote:
I suggest you worry less about policing the decorum of the other members, as your standards often will not be universally shared and your presumptive reprimands resented.

Who said anything about universally shared standards. There are always social standards of decorum. They are not clearly set out. they are largely based on an intuitive sense. Otherwise the word "rude" would have no meaning. By telling me to not defend my own sense of decorum, you are doing exactly what you are telling me not to do.

And as far as "resented" goes, how would you even know that about anyone other than yourself? Are you only speaking for yourself? And if so, how petty would you be for resenting me when I've come out and admitted my criticism of you was a mistake.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.